PDA

View Full Version : Advanced combat mechanic

MattMurdock
03-13-2016, 09:03 PM
So I had been thinking for a while about combat and (like a few other people commented) the auto trapping seems a bit meh to me.

So I came up with this version:
For each ghost, replace its "to trap" with "to wrangle"

basically this represents when a ghost gets its number of streams required, its worn out/stunned and contained by the ghostbusters streams and can be manuvered to where they want it.

New actions:

Wrangle - Where a ghostbuster has at least 1 stream on a ghost that has met its "To wrangle" value, the ghostbuster may perform a wrangle action to move the ghost a single space in any direction. Roll a proton die, on a result equal or greater than the ghosts to hit value, less the current number of streams on it, the ghost resists the wrangle and removes (one of) the players stream/s.

Deploy trap - A ghostbuster spends an action to deploy a trap token from their inventory to any space within 2 squares line of sight of their location (path must not be blocked by orange or red lines or ghosts, but can be thrown through yellow lines). Place the corresponding coloured/patterned trap card beside the board.

Trap - When a ghost is wrangled onto a tile containing a ghost trap, any ghostbuster within 2 squares line of sight from the trap may spend an action to trap the ghost. Requires a successful proton roll greater than the Ghosts to hit value, minus the number of streams currently on the ghost. If trapping fails, the ghost resists, remove the oldest stream.
If trapping is successful, remove the ghost from the board and place it on the trap card.

Recover trap - A ghostbuster may spend an action to pick up a trap token from an adjacent square. The player collects the corresponding trap card and any ghosts and transfers them to his inventory.

Players may pass a trap token, card and any contained ghosts to an adjacent player (as a single lot) under the current rules for transferring ghosts. Ghosts cannot be moved from one trap to another, or deposited seperately.

Werechicken
03-14-2016, 04:51 AM
Interesting.

I don't like that you have to spend an action to trap and another to recover the trap.

Skyknight
03-15-2016, 02:27 AM
Looks interesting and seems to be a more acurate depiction of Ghostbusting, but also as if it would slow down the game a lot. At the moment it's a fast paced game with only a few rules that are easy to learn. I fear with your advanced combat rules it would become too boring for casual players as it could take multiple rounds to catch a single ghost or the turns of 3-4 Ghostbusters, forcing them to all concentrate on the same target. It could work in a scenario without any gates, but as it is now, the gate would spew out new ghosts faster than the players can catch them.

ItchyAaron
03-15-2016, 04:24 AM
I think the new rules ideas are interesting. Perhaps I'll try them out the next time I'm down at my friend's house. I agree that they would slow down gameplay, but they would encourage teamwork in busting the ghosts.

MattMurdock
03-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Looks interesting and seems to be a more acurate depiction of Ghostbusting, but also as if it would slow down the game a lot. At the moment it's a fast paced game with only a few rules that are easy to learn. I fear with your advanced combat rules it would become too boring for casual players as it could take multiple rounds to catch a single ghost or the turns of 3-4 Ghostbusters, forcing them to all concentrate on the same target. It could work in a scenario without any gates, but as it is now, the gate would spew out new ghosts faster than the players can catch them.

Yeah, it's not intended for casual players, it's for hardcore players who want a deeper experience

Skyknight
03-16-2016, 01:33 AM
I think the new rules ideas are interesting. Perhaps I'll try them out the next time I'm down at my friend's house. I agree that they would slow down gameplay, but they would encourage teamwork in busting the ghosts.
It's one thing to encourage teamwork, but something different to force it! I feel that this new combat mechanics wouldn't give the players a choice anymore and that's not so good.

Yeah, it's not intended for casual players, it's for hardcore players who want a deeper experience
It's your right to create something for the hardcore players, but I think it needs to be tweaked a bit. Because as it is now it would take much too long to catch a single ghost, while in the same time the gates send out more ghosts. Even with the standard rules it can be challenging in a scenario with just a few ghosts in the spirit world at the beginning of the mission. With your rules, those missions would become basically impossible.

Crazy1van
03-16-2016, 03:11 AM
Perhaps if a custom scenario was created that didn't have Gates, the Busters could dedicate themselves to each ghost in this way. After all, in the movies and cartoons they very rarely have to race the clock in an effort to catch all the ghosts before the spirit world runs out of spirits, or even just close a gate. If they only HAVE to deal with one ghost at a time, then such mechanics would still slow down gameplay, but the experience could be enhanced by it.

I imagine a scenario in which all the Ghosts are already on the board at the start, but they can do damage to their surroundings, and the GBs have to catch all the ghosts before they can cause enough property damage to cancel out the Ghostbusters' fee.

Werechicken
03-16-2016, 06:00 AM
If you remember, they had a trap mechanic but removed it because it slowed the game down.

ItchyAaron
03-18-2016, 04:15 AM
If you remember, they had a trap mechanic but removed it because it slowed the game down.
True, but I think that Matt Murdock is looking for a more immersive Ghostbusters experience instead of the relatively faced-paced game that we have.