PDA

View Full Version : Style Points - Crash of Beasts

Shaqattaq
03-15-2016, 12:01 PM
by Dinotropia

One of the distinctive features HEX offers is the ability to make permanent modifications to cards over the course of a match. As Cory Jones once put it, “Imagine taking a pen and writing all over one of your cards!” It just wouldn’t fly in a physical game. Luckily, HEX’s digital nature lets us bring things to a new level and has resulted in one of our very first keywords: Escalation.

https://www.hextcg.com/style-points-crash-of-beasts/

Salverus
03-15-2016, 03:37 PM
scheme not making AA crash of beast copies but non-AA's instead, that hurts the deck
Also it seems this deck would not work in the campaign, since winter moon is a vital part of it?

thegreybetween
03-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Winter Moon helps, but isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for Campaign play. While Winter Moon adds speed to the card-draw machine and gives you a bit more control over the action pool available to you, the main role she serves from a win-con perspective is to keep your Crash of Beasts alive against interrupts, mill effects, and other abilities which send them to the crypt. AZ1 does see a little mill activity in some enemies, but very few interrupts. So while WM is definitely a better fit for the deck than any (current) PvE champion, the deck should still perform pretty well based on the tools that the AI is presently bringing to the table.

I've been wanting to do a S/W Rhino/Scheme deck for a while, but I keep putting it off. I think this may give me the push I need to finally throw one together. As usual, thanks to Dino for another great article!

Xavon
03-15-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm not sold on Onslaught. I would think Evolve or even Wild Growth would be better.

Though personally, I would go for Oberon's Eulogy. You will potentially end up with lots of dead Rhinos, which will only fuel the rage of those who come later.

Also, what equips does this deck use in PvE?

Dinotropia
03-16-2016, 12:51 AM
I'm not sold on Onslaught. I would think Evolve or even Wild Growth would be better.

Though personally, I would go for Oberon's Eulogy. You will potentially end up with lots of dead Rhinos, which will only fuel the rage of those who come later.

Also, what equips does this deck use in PvE?

Onslaught is there for the omph factor. It is a one-of because you don't need it very often, but it can help you get past a wall to do lethal damage. It also gives the deck more pressure. 3 unblocked Rhinos can be death with an onslaught to give them that last push. Wild growth doesn't have the same pressure. Neither does evolve.

That being said, I like the Oberon's Eulogy idea. That is more about incremental gain, but over time it can be more impactful than Onslaught. You will have to try it out and tell me how you like it :)

As for PvE equips, you are really free to choose whatever you like. This deck was built with PvP 4Keeps fun in mind. PvE is a wild west all unto its own. I encourage you to experiment and post here with good combinations that you find!

strawwmann
03-16-2016, 01:08 AM
I stopped playing actions because it was polite, not because I had to.

Oh, I think any boundaries of politeness had receded so far into the distance past by then you needn't have worried
- keeping your poor opponent waiting for more than 5mins for one turn when it was already GG the turn before!
You're a cruel, demented man Dinotropia! :)

Maybe a To the Skies! (https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-hex-helper/hex_helper_cardfinder.php?find=To+the+Skies&width=350&height=487) would be better than the Onslaught in main-deck (or at least in sideboard)?

Hellforge
03-16-2016, 01:23 AM
Winter Moon might not be available but I keep thinking about Lady Devonshire with equipment (recursion for days)...

Sapphire/Wild is built for Coyotle surely :)

incitfulmonk21
03-16-2016, 06:08 AM
Love the deck! Definitely going to run this through arena!

Salverus
03-16-2016, 08:21 AM
So if you would change this from a PvP to a PvE deck, would you only add equipment or also change some of the cards ?
It seems like angel of foresight would go very well with this.

Other things might be interesting is parallel evolution or chimes of the zodiac, but not sure if it helps, since parallel evolution only helps if you already have multiple rhinos on the board and chimes is really expensive with 7 cost.

dbug
03-16-2016, 01:17 PM
This decks works very well in Arena. I like it!

Dinotropia
03-16-2016, 01:28 PM
So if you would change this from a PvP to a PvE deck, would you only add equipment or also change some of the cards ?
It seems like angel of foresight would go very well with this.

Other things might be interesting is parallel evolution or chimes of the zodiac, but not sure if it helps, since parallel evolution only helps if you already have multiple rhinos on the board and chimes is really expensive with 7 cost.

I like to keep super expensive cards to a minimum if I can. Chimes could be fun as a 1-of, but I couldn't see trying to build the deck around it. But deck building is all about experimentation! You should try it yourself and see if it works. Stranger things have :)

As far as PvE stuff is concerned, this deck doesn't have too many options when it comes to equipment. But I can say that Angel of Foresight would be an excellent edition! Basically, she is the flying equivalent to Rhinos on the ground. I would consider removing the Thunderfield Elders for some angels if you have them.

Xavon
03-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Onslaught is there for the omph factor. It is a one-of because you don't need it very often, but it can help you get past a wall to do lethal damage. It also gives the deck more pressure. 3 unblocked Rhinos can be death with an onslaught to give them that last push. Wild growth doesn't have the same pressure. Neither does evolve.

That being said, I like the Oberon's Eulogy idea. That is more about incremental gain, but over time it can be more impactful than Onslaught. You will have to try it out and tell me how you like it :)

As for PvE equips, you are really free to choose whatever you like. This deck was built with PvP 4Keeps fun in mind. PvE is a wild west all unto its own. I encourage you to experiment and post here with good combinations that you find!

Well, the other thing about Onslaught is that part of its power, and thus part of its cost, is granting Crush, which the Rhinos already have.

I only have two Archmage Wrenlocke, so I went with two of him and two Oberon's Eulogy. I have to say, so far I am liking it. Once I get three dead Rhinos (or Coyotole) it is like a permanent, cheaper, Onslaught. Last game I was dropping 11/11 Rhinos by the end.