PDA

View Full Version : Personal Super Villain Stacks?

bigtipper
03-18-2016, 07:58 PM
You ever get a game where 1 player plays an attack or two, forcing the others to either defend or discard, then ends up buying the Super Villain? Now, they end up drawing a new hand of 5 cards, everyone else is at 4 or less, and the next Super Villain shows up. The Super Villain wipes another 1 or 2 cards from everyone's hand, and the other players end up with fairly bad turns. It goes back to the first player, who happens to get another one of those turns, and buys the Super Villain again. Enter loop.

Sometimes it's a matter of bad luck, sometimes it's poor deck-building, sometimes it's both.

One idea I came up with while thinking of a way to minimize these unfortunate loops is to have a Super Villain stack for each person.

We definitely have enough Super Villains to mix and match them, and possibly dole out 6-10 to each person (depending on how much time you want to spend playing).

Each player is only able to buy from their own Super Villain Stack, and First-Appearance Attacks only affect the player, not the group. This way, if Johnny buys Ra's Al Ghul from his own stack, Timmy isn't affected when the next Super Villain is flipped over for Johnny. Similarly, Timmy gets attacked from each Super Villain he buys while Johnny is perfectly safe from it.

The game ends when the first player defeats their last Super Villain (or the main deck runs out).

Obviously some Super Villains are much stronger/weaker with the new system, so you may want to exclude specific ones, but I'm wondering if my idea would spice up the game.

I haven't tried it yet, but figured I'd open this thread for opinions. :D

TanisFrey
03-18-2016, 08:45 PM
The problem I see with this is that some Super-villain first appearance attacks have little to no effect if only player is attacked. Ones like Felix Fust, Joker and a few others.

Matt_Hyra
03-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Sounds like a fun variant. Just use S-Vs that work when only one player gets hit.
Paranoid players will often hold back a Defense just in case...