PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Next Year's Invitational

YourOpponent
03-21-2016, 07:45 AM
I think that for next year it'd be interesting if it was for the Invitational players (assuming it's 12) to be

Sealed for the first day with a cut to 8 (or better yet 16 if the number's more) also preferably with a new yet to see Set and/or PvE equipment.

For the 2nd day Draft with a cut to 8 (in case there are more people for the invitational)
Then after the draft...also with a new yet to see set and/or PvE equipment

THEN the really interesting part of Constructed with seeds (based on how you done total from day 1) also where you get to USE the cards you got from sealed and draft along with the cards from the current sets...no PvE equipment...unless it's not from a new set then definitely PvE equipment.

That way it uses all 3 formats in a way that keeps people gripped at the edges of their seats and with a likely pretty diverse and unpredictable "meta" for the Constructed part...

nickon
03-21-2016, 08:12 AM
I don't think HEX intends to make PvE a part of the competitive scene.

Tazelbain
03-21-2016, 08:19 AM
First, there will another Invitational this year.
Second, if Wildwest is a format, it'll non-competitive like the VIPs.

nicosharp
03-21-2016, 11:20 AM
I think they should also have a Frost Arena Elimination Round with their constructed decks, where it's a speed race, first to finish, or last to be knocked-out.

RNG them baby!

icecon
03-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Using sealed as a way to cut seems wrong as it's too determined by good/bad pools. Drafts already have some of this built in luck element.

Current-set-only Constructed might actually reflect better the players' mastery of the sealed format (perhaps with some stipulations such as 2-copy limit), this would put everyone on equal footing in terms of cards they can use.

Another approach would be do something like a 3c-2u copy limit plus total of 2 rares or 1 legendary, that would mirror sealed card availability reasonably well.

Elwinz
03-21-2016, 12:10 PM
I think they should also have a Frost Arena Elimination Round with their constructed decks, where it's a speed race, first to finish, or last to be knocked-out.

RNG them baby!

Tusker or cresida? ;p

Thoom
03-21-2016, 01:51 PM
What I'd like to see is an opportunity for deckbuilding (or at least deck switching) between day 1 and 2 of constructed.

In this year's format, I felt like there weren't any big surprises left after the draft.

If "build a new deck between 6pm of day 1 and submit it by 10am of day 2" is too stressful for contestants, you could instead have a format where everyone submits a slate of 3 decks, and are free to use any deck of their choice for day 2. It'd be kind of like a meta-reserves.

I'd also like to see the day 2 constructed matches go to BO5.

Saeijou
03-21-2016, 02:11 PM
i would have loved to see drafting with a new set... :)

so the IQ maybe 2 weeks after a new set comes out...
or... even before it comes out. maybe they get the list of new cards the night before and have to deal with it :P

superdax
03-21-2016, 05:34 PM
i would have loved to see drafting with a new set... :)

so the IQ maybe 2 weeks after a new set comes out...
or... even before it comes out. maybe they get the list of new cards the night before and have to deal with it :P

They said the contrary of that, they want the invitational to be the official announcement of a new set (spoiler season starts). Both ways have their good and their bad..

sukebe
03-21-2016, 05:48 PM
I would hate to see them use sealed for any part of the next Invitational besides the qualifier tournaments (as we need a limited qualifier and sealed is the only option since draft is messed up when you go beyond 8 players).

While it is true that a good player can turn bad cards into a fair deck more often than a bad player could it is still too random for such a large event. It is also very dull to watch while they make their decks as draft at least lets people get an idea of how pro players make drafting decisions and give the announcer something to talk about.