PDA

View Full Version : Crisis 3 Strategy?

LexLuthorJr
03-22-2016, 01:17 PM
We need help. I was hoping that the creators may be able to give some suggestions on how to go about beating Crisis 3. We've had a lot of trouble trying to beat it and often get destroyed. We don't feel we can even play the Hidden Agenda variant because of the struggle of getting through the Crisis. We know teamwork is important, but we need more. So some questions...

We feel like we only have a chance with Sinestro and Black Adam in play. Are they absolutely necessary? Is it even possible to win without them? And is doing it with five players impossible?

The World is Ours and The Outsider are just brutal. What is the best way to get through them? We need to get all Villains out of the Line Up just to beat the Crisis, but there are lots of Villains in the main deck. Twelve of them have a cost 5 or greater, which take a long time to defeat since we are already swimming in Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities. By the time four Heroes come out and we've eliminated all Villains in the Line Up, we are about one-third of the way through the deck. Is that normal?

Atomica is a PITA. Any suggestions other than "don't destroy all your 4 or less cost cards"?

Similarly, many Crisis cards require specific costs of cards. Should we keep everything in our decks just in case a certain Crisis comes out? Seems counter-intuitive for a set that specializes in destroy.

Crisis Mazahs! is HUGE at the end. He usually is over 25 unless you are lucky enough to discard a Weakness. Is that the point? What else can you do that doesn't take time to buy every single card?

ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks!

gerrymul
03-22-2016, 01:53 PM
I personally think Bane is essential to success as well. He can store cards under his hero just for beating the upcoming crises. I have seen virtually zero success in anything more than 3 players and not without Bane. Black Adam & Black Manta also pair well.

Matt_Hyra
03-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Better to discuss strategy with other players. I'm sure some other voices will be along shortly.

One thing I will mention: Since there are Crises that require cards with cost 3 and 4, and there is also Atomica... it would certainly behoove you to avoid destroying all of your cards with cost 4 and under.

Allete
03-22-2016, 02:21 PM
The one thing about this set of crisis, is that you wont really get punished hard for leaving your lineup big early, like you could in the other sets if Frozen City of Draining the Emotional Spectrum came out. No harm in letting the lineup get too big then buying destruction later on after Outsider is gone. Something I always remind new players of, is that you dont have to completely always use your whole power. Sometimes saying "I still have X power left", can be a game changer if they fill up their deck with useless stuff that clogs their deck the whole game.

For Crisis Mazahs!, The fact that you can buy cards from the destroyed pile makes a huge difference. You could stack up on VPs and just use an incredibly powerful Manbat Serum. I have found that constantly buying and destroying Steve Trevor helps out as well. Have one person buy and destroy, so the person with Boomerang can draw out their whole deck.

You could also buy Superwoman and Ultraman afterwards, just make sure that destroyed cards are bought that can help. My group has started to get used to it, but we have difficulty sometimes when Atomica comes out. If Perfect Eclipse comes out 2nd, thats pretty much game over for us.

SpiritDetective
03-22-2016, 02:25 PM
For The Outsider and This World Is Ours, you need to beef up your decks with Kicks and Power before you start clearing the lineup of Villains and polluting your decks with Weaknesses. Keep Heroes in your decks until a 4th Hero shows up in the lineup. Then contribute them.

With Atomica, you may have to bite the bullet and use Super-Intellect, Secret Society Communicator, or Amanda Waller to destroy something powerful to get ahead.

Crisis Mazahs' biggest threats are Man Bat Serum and the Crime Syndicate. At the endgame, Ultraman, Owlman, Superwoman, and Power Ring should each be generating +10 power.

StormKing
03-22-2016, 03:12 PM
While not strategy, just a bit of added info. Nathaniel and I generally run Harley Quinn and Bizarro (respectively) and all the characters have won multiple games in testing. :)

These are also usually 4 player games (with the other 2 players picking from among the other characters).

BenJazz
03-22-2016, 08:41 PM
I still advocate the Stargirl method of success (or the "rebuild the deck" approach). Also, don't be afraid to keep some attacks in your deck as they can come in handy when trying to get people to use effects or cycle their hand with defense cards (gaining VP from Commissioner Gordon can be very useful for certain characters or cards). We had a game recently where one player had a big deck due to buying lots of cards from the main deck for various Crises/circumstances. They ended up having Boomerang in hand while a ton of attacks and additional draws were being thrown around due to Stargirl's and ongoing abilities. That player had a hand of roughly 15 cards at the start of their turn and would up having enough power to buy Crisis Mazahs (at roughly 30 cost due to destroyed pile) without playing any of the high power generating villains. Sometimes, it pays to be lucky.

docangst
03-23-2016, 03:25 PM
The game our group won the first weekend I had the set had four players, with me piloting Lex Luthor, and the others being Deathstroke, Black Adam, and Black Manta. Over the course of the game, I randomly grabbed Harley, Bizarro, and Bane; we never ran into an issue of being too short on VP due to some key early buys.

One of the clutch plays included encouraging other players to repeatedly attack me with Power Armor in hand (acquired during a Permanent Eclipse!), then using Harley to pass it on once my deck was thinned out. We had 20+ card piles once Mazahs! showed up, but decks that could generate enough Power that we picked one type (Heroes) and cleaned out the stack in one round of turns. After that, it didn't take long for someone to discard a Hero and hit the sweet spot.

IAmTheGreat
03-25-2016, 06:01 AM
The only times my group has had any issue is if we hit either Trinity War or Permanent Eclipse after The World Is Ours. I think as long as you send a few rounds building your decks before defeating The Outsider you should be fine

SpiritDetective
03-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Atomica and Permanent Eclipse is brutal.

Atomica and Corrupted Companion is game breaking.

gerrymul
03-28-2016, 04:05 PM
The only times my group has had any issue is if we hit either Trinity War or Permanent Eclipse after The World Is Ours. I think as long as you send a few rounds building your decks before defeating The Outsider you should be fine

Deck building isn't the issue I find generally. It's how many villains you have to plow through before coming across 4 heroes that can be contributed prior to defeating the crisis. I generally find that we are at least 1/3 of the way through the deck before we can get 4 heroes, and that usually means 10+ villains (meaning 10+ weaknesses being handed out and 10+ player turns with nothing to show for their buy) unless we're lucky. The smaller main deck really makes it essential to kill the first crisis fast in this version with the extra card every turn coming out. I know the numbers seem odd, but that's been my experience so far.

GuruGuru214
03-28-2016, 08:46 PM
No, that actually makes total sense. I haven't had a game of Crisis 3 where the main deck wasn't extremely depleted by the time we got past The Outsider. We keep ending up with really bad clumping of Villains at the top of the main deck, and it's made the game incredibly difficult.

If anything, I think it's sort of a self-perpetuating problem. Since there's so much interaction with the destroyed pile, we tend to keep everything separated out in there. When the game ends, it all gets sorted into the separate sets and put back in the box, but the types still end up grouped together. Since there's so many more Villains in the destroyed pile than anything else, there's a nice big clump of Villains when it comes time to shuffle for the next game.

So the next time we play a game of Crisis 3, a big part of my strategy will be to take extra care to break up that Villain clump before I start shuffling, so that we hopefully get a more even mix of cards.

Carthain
03-29-2016, 07:09 AM
I've recently done two more games of Crisis 3.

First was a solo game, using Bane. Between being able to use Bane to 'store' cards to contribute (vs having to keep them in my deck) and finding Firestorm early in the game (to remove starter cards from my deck when The Outsider was still out) -- It was pretty easy.

Second game was myself (Lex) and my friend (Bane). Brains & Brawn vs the deck. By the end of the game, I'd assembled every other Crisis Super Villain as part of my team, and we did win ... but we had...3-6 cards (I forget exactly) remaining in the main deck ... and those were only there due to use of Black Manta's ability and Star Girl. It was strange... we had set up our decks so that he had the attack cards and I had defense cards (Sinestro was the first helper I found) -- but after the crisis where we had to put the defense cards back into the line up, and right after that Permanent Eclipse .... suddenly I was consistently getting hands of attack cards and not defense cards. :)

gerrymul
04-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Still no success with 4 or 5 players. The last game with 4 we got hit with the second crisis requiring 4 heroes immediately after beating the Outsider. Luckily I was able to buy Frankenstein to reacquire some destroyed heroes, but we wasted a lot of turns again trying to get 4 heroes to contribute. Super Villains at the table were Crisis Bane, Bizarro, Black Adam, and Harley Quinn. If we'd had Black Manta instead of Bizarro or Black Adam we might have stood a chance. As it was we got hit with the Defense Crisis 3rd to last that took 4 turns to get enough to contribute, and then the one pulling all locations into the lineup. At that point we only had 6 cards in the deck and called it quits.

LexLuthorJr
04-01-2016, 02:57 PM
No, that actually makes total sense. I haven't had a game of Crisis 3 where the main deck wasn't extremely depleted by the time we got past The Outsider. We keep ending up with really bad clumping of Villains at the top of the main deck, and it's made the game incredibly difficult.

It's not even so much that there are a lot of Villains, but that they are so high cost. We usually have at least two Royal Flush Gang to contend with, and there's someone like Owlman. By the time we beat Owlman, Super Woman comes out. Then when we get Super Woman, Ultra Man hits the board. It takes a while to get up to +8 Power in Forever Evil, especially when you can't destroy Starters and constantly gain Weaknesses.

czs716
04-01-2016, 08:59 PM
My fiancee and I placed this recently. We had a mix of FE, Crisis 2, and Crisis 3 to maximize destroying and pulling stuff out of the destroyed pile. We used two oversized villains. She had King Shark and Lex Luthor so we always had VP after spending and I had Deathstroke and Black Adam so I was able to take out villains in the lineup and toss Lex some VP. By the end of the game, she had like 7 oversize cards in front of her. We got through it easier than the first time we played and had a blast. We also played the easier mode with 2 less crisis and supers. W eended the game with about 1/3 deck left. Took 2 hours. Can't wait to play agin.

rauhr2002
04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
I've played two games with the Secret Agenda and both were won easily. The people that I play with noticed that Crisis 3 had less main deck cards than the other sets, so they added Crossover 1 and we tend to win with less than ten cards.

gerrymul
04-07-2016, 01:54 PM
My question is to players who have NOT added any cards other than those that are intended (i.e FE base set + Crisis 3 cards). How successful have you been? Crypto employees - what did your playtesters find in running it? I'm coming up to a dead end with pretty much every angle I can try in playing it with little to no success.

rauhr2002
04-07-2016, 02:32 PM
I'd suggest trying the Hidden Agenda varient, the reduction of crises and supervillains should make a difference.

aoineko
04-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Testing the hidden objects variant we pretty much won every game I was in without a traitor. With a traitor it was about even. I personally didn't play many normal Crisis mode games. Hidden Objectives is where it's at.

StormKing
04-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Testing the hidden objects variant we pretty much won every game I was in without a traitor. With a traitor it was about even. I personally didn't play many normal Crisis mode games. Hidden Objectives is where it's at.

There were games I was in where specific people didn't win because of their objective, and they were trying to tank the game or stall it out because they weren't gonna get there.

kainbloodheart
04-19-2016, 04:27 PM
I've played 4 games now of crisis 3 we have won 2 and lost 2. never though has the outsider or the first crisis been a massive problem for us.

One of the games we won the last cards were Mazah (however it's spelt) and all hope is lost. Watching the lineup fill with pretty much every defence card in the game was both horrifying and hilarious. We beat him by buying all the cards of one type from the destroy pile and the lineup (super powers in ours). So most of our decks were stuffed with superpowers.

kainbloodheart
04-19-2016, 04:31 PM
I've played 4 games now of crisis 3 we have won 2 and lost 2. never though has the outsider or the first crisis been a massive problem for us.

One of the games we won the last cards were Mazah (however it's spelt) and all hope is lost. Watching the lineup fill with pretty much every defence card in the game was both horrifying and hilarious. We beat him by buying all the cards of one type from the destroy pile and the lineup (super powers in ours). So most of our decks were stuffed with superpowers.

czs716
04-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Played a game last week with my fiancee and nephew. My fiancee got the traitor card and I had pretty much figured it out early because she wouldn't buy villains and barely contributed. We got down to Mazahs and had about 12 cards left in the main deck. I had Black Manta, or whichever one you pay two vos to put a card from the destroyed pile on the bottom of the deck, and my nehew and I were using that every turn, but we just couldn't generate enough power to beat Mazahs. So we eventually ran out of vp, and the deck ran out, and my traitor fiancee won lol.