PDA

View Full Version : Combining all 4 Sets

Matafer
03-25-2016, 04:48 AM
Anyone have a custom deck build/list for all four main sets/crisis expansions? Original DC, heroes unite, teen titans, forever evil and the crisis expansions?

Having a game night and I thought itd be cool to mix up the sets, but wasn't sure what cards are best, and what to avoid for that kinda thing? Any suggestions are appreciated! Going for 120ish cards

PS- Curioua to see what the Cryptozoic team suggest too!

GuruGuru214
03-25-2016, 10:11 AM
We've talked about it but never really sat down to make a custom deck. We've only really done a massive mix-up game like that once, back before Teen Titans was out. We handled it by allowing everyone to choose a certain number of cards they wanted in the main deck and Super-Villain stack, and we set some limits (can't remember what, specifically) to try to make sure there was a semi-even mix. As I recall, it went okay, though you end up with some odd deck synergy.

Breyfunk
03-27-2016, 07:33 AM
We actually have done this with the base set, Forever Evil, Lord of the Rings-Fellowship and Street Fighter. We have to invent rules sometimes, but it is tons of fun. Can't wait for Cartoon Network!

SushiSquid
03-27-2016, 03:58 PM
I've done this with base, Heroes Unite, Forever Evil, JSA, and all three Crises. My custom deck is 200 cards in size, which is left that large when playing competitively (because ending the game from the deck running out feels weird). I cut it down in size for Crisis or Watchmen (the Watchmen cards are left out and only added in when playing that mode).

I was wary about it at first, but having such a massive deck is actually quite a good thing. It keeps the game fresh because it keeps it so much more randomized. Obviously I've cut out things that rely on exact other cards (no Suicide Squad, Jervis Tetch, any of the named Power Rings, etc.), but you'd be amazed at how well cards from all the different sets mesh with each other in a variety of crazy ways.

If you plan to do it, set up some rules to help you build the deck. I can help by listing a few of mine. I have no duplicates of hero or villain cards at all. I cut out overly powerful things (e.g. Clayface). I have very similar numbers of heroes, villains, and equipment, with slightly fewer super powers (because of the Kick stack). The average cost should be just above 4. Make sure to have plenty of 2 cost (and I think 6 now too) cards for specific crises. The game works best when you've got about the same number of attack and defense cards. Make sure to put in enough "draw" cards for the characters that use them. Basically, in all ways try to design the deck fairly so that no matter which super hero/villain people are playing, they have plenty of cards that work well for them. Oh, and I use a ton of VP effects! These are in there quite a bit because they add a really cool mechanic to the game that works well with plenty of different characters, especially some of the super villains.

You also might want bigger Kick/Weakness stacks. I recommend 20. 16 is a bit low, I think. 20 Weaknesses makes Crisis just a bit tougher (especially because they return when destroyed), and 20 Kicks helps make stuff like Supergirl or oversized Black Adam a bit better.

gerrymul
03-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Very similar to the custom deck I had before Crisis 3 came out. I pulled out all of the power rings apart from the White & Black (to allow for more interaction with the destroyed pile for the oversize Constantine hero is someone wanted to play him), did the same with Suicide Squad, Manhunters, etc. I limited my set to only one of each hero or villain card with a specific name, and max 2 of any super power or equipment, except Batarangs. I tried to pull out all the victory point multipliers as well as the insta win Kyle Rayner, and the slow death win of Man of Steel. I ended up with about 150 cards and tried a few different modes of play, one of which was a team game of heroes versus villains. For that I limited the oversize heroes to those that made up the Super Hero stack from FE, and then made a super villain stack based on the oversize villains from FE. Teams were trying to defeat the opposing side's Super hero/villain stack (when you buy the Super Hero/Villain it gets destroyed and removed from the game), with combined points determining the winner.

postalnik
03-29-2016, 09:50 AM
I have been mixing the sets up for awhile now. My usual method is 40 of each card type except for Locations which is 20. I found that locations can really make a big deal because there is not much that can remove them. Plus Swamp thing cards really power up and control locations. When doing the locations add two different location cards for each card type (play a hero +1, play a hero draw a card). then fill in the rest with other abilities. When we play with power rings we add all power rings from all sets. And scoring we play that a power ring is any card with Power Ring in the title. Also add in cards that makes opponents pass or destroy cards and you buy cards from destroyed piles. This helps remove cards from players that might get to powerful. I also make a Super Villain stack and a Super Hero Stack. When the line-up grows beyond five cards we only replace cards when the line-up shrinks back down to five.

Most of this means that you are going to be reading every card. It is a big process. If this latest deck I built works I will post a list. I just need to get some time to play it. I based it on the Watchman release. Lots of destroying cards and buying destroyed cards and putting them back into the main deck. I heard that it was hard for some people to hide who was the bad guy in watchman. So I made a deck that makes everyone want to destroy and run the main deck down.

AesophD
08-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Anyone have a custom deck build/list for all four main sets/crisis expansions? Original DC, heroes unite, teen titans, forever evil and the crisis expansions?

Having a game night and I thought itd be cool to mix up the sets, but wasn't sure what cards are best, and what to avoid for that kinda thing? Any suggestions are appreciated! Going for 120ish cards

PS- Curioua to see what the Cryptozoic team suggest too!

I know myself, wife, and game night group are odd balls in this, but we love the chaos of just mashing together. We have all DC sets other than Arrow and they are combined in the same deck. We took out the confrontation cards from Rivals. In a separate pile we have all the manhunters, suicide squads, and RFGs.

We flip four heros/villains per player from the big pile and have them pick one. We play about 120-150 cards from the combined main deck and generally add one of the extra sets (squads, RFGs etc) at random. We also have a mix of impossible mode, regular mode, and heroes in the villain pile. Sure, sometimes you get a bit screwed if you buy a heavy VP card or have a VP hero and they don't appear, or you have Hawkman and the game is super Villain heavy, but, with good shuffling and pulling from multiple parts of the maindeck to get your core it works out most of the time. We play probably 4 times a week total in either 1v1 or 4 player and I think I've been screwed by big hero selection maybe 4 times all year? I'm more likely to get screwed by cards that require VP without VPs available, but that rarely happens too and I generally just use them to fuel a destroy card.

StormKing
08-04-2016, 10:07 PM
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=46968
I posted a custom Watchmen Deck I've used quite a few times in this thread. :)
I do make some regular changes to it, I know I've made changes since I posted it, but you'll get an idea of what it's like there.

SasukeSama21
08-08-2016, 10:24 AM
I always play using all the sets. I took out all doubles, and just randomly select an appropriate number for each card type. To make things interesting, I also will add an unused Superhero or Supervillian (or more), to the main deck. If for some reason a card doesn't work for our play, I just stick it in the box and randomly draw another of the same type. I have used mostly every card in the game, and most of the time its no problem playing with them all together.

gerrymul
08-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Our local group has a mega set with all of them - we tend to remove almost all the Arrow crossover cards as they are highly dependent on using the Arrow oversize heroes, and then we'll also pull the LoSH crossover cards that rely on Time Travel to have any use when they appear in the lineup. Just mash it up, make a deck of about 150 cards and 15-20 Super Villains/Heroes, with a second starter Villain/Hero at the mid-stack, after which we add to the cost of the remaining stack.

Matafer
08-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Anyone have a good balanced set of 120 cards from DC, HU, FE, TT, crossovers and the crisis packs?

Atmoz
08-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Anyone have a good balanced set of 120 cards from DC, HU, FE, TT, crossovers and the crisis packs?

I think mine is a little more than 120 but I'm very pleased with the balance of it. Will take the time to type out if anyone is interested.

SpiritDetective
08-18-2016, 09:34 AM
I think mine is a little more than 120 but I'm very pleased with the balance of it. Will take the time to type out if anyone is interested.

I'm interested.

Atmoz
08-18-2016, 10:32 AM
Key
Base - Original Set
HU - Heroes Unite
FE - Forever Evil
TT - Teen Titans
CX - Crisis X
CPX - Crossover X
R1 - Rivals

DC Main Deck 137

Heroes 36
1 Emerald Knight (Base)
1 Jason Blood (HU)
1 Garfield Logan (TT)
2 Liberty Belle (CP1)
2 Element Woman (FE)
2 John Constantine (C1)
2 Commissioner Gordon (FE)
1 Blue Beetle (Base)
1 King of Atlantis (Base)
2 Swamp Thing (Base)
2 High-Tech Hero (Base)
1 World's Mightiest Mortal (HU)
2 Star Sapphire (C2)
2 Dr Light (FE)
2 Dr Midknight (CP1)
1 The Fastest Man Alive (Base)
2 Super Boy (HU)
2 Deadman (HU)
3 Robin (Base)
1 Huntress (R1)
1 J'onn J'onzz (Base)
2 Sonic Siren (HU)

Villains 36
2 Parasite (HU)
1 Bane (R1)
2 Killer Croc (HU)
1 Black Lantern Green Arrow (C2)
2 Red Lantern Corps (HU)
2 Lady Vic (TT)
2 Killer Frost (C1)
1 The Demon Etrigan
1 Jinx (TT)
2 Scarecrow (Base)
1 Hugo Strange (R1)
1 Bizarro (Base)
2 Solomon Grundy (Base)
2 Poison Ivy (Base)
2 Penguin (Base)
1 Cosmic King (CP3)
2 Dr Sivana (HU)
1 Lobo (Base)
1 Inertia (TT)
1 The Riddler (Base)
2 Ocean Master (HU)
1 Starro (Base)
3 Mammoth (TT)

Equipment 31
1 Time Sphere (CP3)
2 Green Arrow's Bow (Base)
2 Power Ring (Base)
2 Skeets (HU)
2 Soultaker Sword (HU)
2 Signature Trenchcoat (C1)
2 Lasso of Lightning (TT)
2 The Cape and Cowl (Base)
2 Batarang (R1)
1 Power Armor (FE)
2 Laughing Gas (R1)
2 Detonator (TT)
2 Bo Staff (C1)
2 Aquaman's Trident (Base)
2 Lasso of Truth (Base)
3 Bat Signal (Base)

Super Powers 24
2 Geokinesis (TT)
2 Canary Cry (HU)
2 Energy Absorption (TT)
2 Girl Power (CP1)
2 Molecular Vibration (TT)
2 Crystal Shield (C2)
1 Electricity (CP3)
1 Azarath Metreon Zinthos (TT)
1 Ultra Strength (FE)
1 Super Strength (Base)
1 Speed Force (TT)
2 Bulletproof (Base)
2 Starbolt (HU)
3 Heat Vision (Base)

Locations 10
1 Verdant (CP2)
1 Legion Headquarters (CP3)
1 New York City (CP4)
1 OA (HU)
1 House of Mystery (C1)
1 Titans Tower (Base)
1 The Watchtower (Base)
1 Fortress of Solitude (Base)
1 The Batcave (Base)
1 Arkham Asylum (Base)

A few notes for how my friends and I play with this main deck: We play with "all heroes" but generally pick from a select 20-25. We only use 12 kicks to reduce the power of Starbolt and to stop bane from snow balling if the lineup is expensive early. We also use Impossible Mode Ras as our starter even if we're not playing Crisis just to help mitigate expensive lineups slowing the game down. Also if weaknesses are destroyed, we put them back in the weakness stack instead of the destroyed pile.

If anyone is curious these are the Characters we generally play with:
Aquaman
Martian Manhunter
Shazam
Cyborg
Bane
Starfire (HU)
Doctor Fate
Wonder Woman
Indigo-1
Wildcat
Beast Boy
Batman-12
Green Lantern
The Comedian
Superboy
Green Arrow
Sinestro
Harley Quinn
Red Lantern Supergirl
Rorschach
Wonder Girl
Lex Luthor
Animal Man
Raven

When picking characters we generally do a 2 round ban circle where each person bans a character and then we pick from what's left. After the first game we put all heroes back in consideration, ban what we just played with, and do 1 round of bans after that. We generally give last place the option to pick from the lineup first or pick a hero first.

Open to questions and feedback :)