PDA

View Full Version : Start time listing rant

AstaSyneri
03-26-2016, 04:24 AM
Phenteo is gone and immediately good practice is down the drain?

For this month the Hex VIP article only lists PST dates, which is crap and totally out of whack with where people come from.

Why I am so enraged? Because I entered a Sealed VIP at 10.45 my time, thinking it would start at 12. When I came back after cleaning the kitchen (paying dues to the family so I make Saturday afternoon time at the PC instead of with the kids, duh), I had lost the first round.

Now that wouldn't be so bad in a constructed tournament, but here it means I now would have to play with a crappy 302 card deck.

And technically it's all my fault (our guild events page somehow displayed the time wrong, too - at least I read it wrong), so no, I won't bother customer service with it.

PLEASE, HXE, post all times for PST and GMT (or MET) as you habitually did before.

/rant

Cernz
03-26-2016, 04:29 AM
hmm tournament starting time -> in client <- is listed in your local time... so when you entered the tournament you cant blame hexent for your failures :(

Salverus
03-26-2016, 04:37 AM
+1 for gmt times
so many times have I anticipated things wrong already, so I just usually ask in chat now how many hours left until start.

Elwinz
03-26-2016, 04:41 AM
hmm tournament starting time -> in client <- is listed in your local time... so when you entered the tournament you cant blame hexent for your failures :(

THIS. IF you would have come late maybe little bit ranting would be justified. But if u were earler and didnt look time ..

Xenavire
03-26-2016, 05:24 AM
Honestly it should be on the site though. I had to do manual conversion twice this weekend, and I was still worried I would miss them. Especially since the DST switch is happening this weekend for most of EU (to my knowledge), having clear times is more important than any other time.

Biz
03-26-2016, 05:46 AM
i think this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_Islands) is the only place in the world that is actually using PST

western parts of us/canada/mexico all switch to PDT

the rest of that longtitude seems to be uninhabited water

AstaSyneri
03-26-2016, 06:05 AM

Yeah, well, I haven't been playing tournaments for three months now and since I "knew" that the tournament would start at noon, I didn't check in game (or rather I saw "11 a.m.", but assumed it would be GMT, as that would have fit my assumption).

But as I already wrote: Yeah, it's my fault, but it's still very annoying (aren't those always the most annoying? :P). It wouldn't have happened if the article had contained the "correct" dates. Not blaming HXE for my mistakes, just wishing for more extensive times in the future, as we have them before!

magic_gazz
03-26-2016, 06:11 AM
No reason for them not to have a world clock on there so everyone knows the right time.

I just look in client as its easier than trying to figure it out.

Salverus
03-26-2016, 06:16 AM
what if they start using countdown timers instead of clocks? those are universal.

nicosharp
03-26-2016, 06:41 AM
The client listed times are correct. With how little traffic and posting that goes on here, It would seem some of the better good faith practices in news articles for this community still do not reach the larger audience playing HEX. I understand your gripe and need for consistent practice in how information is shared, but the writing we need to be concerned with is always client side.

AstaSyneri
03-26-2016, 07:32 AM
It's a usability problems. Different customers perceive things differently. Hadn't I been busy with other things in the past months, I would have remembered to look in-client. Instead I let myself being misled by my assumptions. There. Done. I still think the official announcement should be done as it had been previously - with either GMT, MET times or links to some world clock site.

That's all I want.

OutlandishMatt
03-26-2016, 03:23 PM
I still think the official announcement should be done as it had been previously...

I don't think they should have to announce any times, just that it's this weekend and runs from Friday through Sunday. I think it should be on the end user to look in their own client and see when they start.

GobBluth
03-26-2016, 03:44 PM
I don't think they should have to announce any times, just that it's this weekend and runs from Friday through Sunday. I think it should be on the end user to look in their own client and see when they start.

+1 Life's tough, get a helmet. Why would Hex spend the 1 minute it takes to put in a world clock to make it easier for Hex's very international player base?

Kurasa
03-26-2016, 03:49 PM

Considering the length of time required to participate I think an announcement including start times is perfectly reasonable, and preferably something that should be done well before the start of the event. Some players will need to plan ahead to make it work, and not everybody remembers when the start times are. Granted, the announcements that we have been getting aren't really advanced notice either, since they tend to come out on the VIP weekend itself.

I'll agree that the ultimate responsibility to check times and everything falls on the player, but the more accessible that information the easier it is for players to participate.

RoyHarper
03-26-2016, 06:40 PM
We never even got an update in-client to advertise the correct dates for this weekend's VIP tourneys. It still has February's dates.

OutlandishMatt
03-27-2016, 06:05 PM
I'll agree that the ultimate responsibility to check times and everything falls on the player, but the more accessible that information the easier it is for players to participate.

I will say that I hope eventually Hex will have a way to access things in the game without using the client. Either via web or mobile app.

Elwinz
03-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Sometimes i have feeling wee are living in times where poeple are banned from google or ... are simply too lazy and must have everything handled to them.

nickon
03-29-2016, 03:04 AM
I managed to figure it out... As probably others did as well. And I even tried to help by posting this (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=48516) thread. I know it was rather on the late side of things and am sorry you weren't able to catch it in time.

That being said, I think CZE deliberately didn't put starting times for other timezones in their VIP announcement this month because of daylight savings time. Usually they do, that's why it caught my attention. I think listing the starting times for one timezone and then make them link to worldtimebuddy (http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/) (as I've suggested before and I think they've even used it on some occasions) is the safest and easiest route for everyone. But I agree that at least they should have given a heads up in the announcement about daylight savings time if they deliberately didn't list other times because of it.

AstaSyneri
04-07-2016, 06:48 AM
Sometimes i have feeling wee are living in times where poeple are banned from google or ... are simply too lazy and must have everything handled to them.

No, we live in times where some people have a life outside of Hex and rely on previously established best practice to not miss a lengthy tournament that has to be coordinated with family (on a weekend to boot). The result is that I have hardly a chance left to get my playset - the first I can't complete, which in turn leads me to think about whether the VIP program is worth my time.

Xexist
04-07-2016, 10:37 AM
No, we live in times where some people have a life outside of Hex and rely on previously established best practice to not miss a lengthy tournament that has to be coordinated with family (on a weekend to boot). The result is that I have hardly a chance left to get my playset - the first I can't complete, which in turn leads me to think about whether the VIP program is worth my time.

Dont let douchey comments get to you. Your post, and request is perfectly reasonable.

Elwinz
04-07-2016, 10:45 AM
While it is resaonable, googling timezones shouldnt be a problem.

fido_one
04-07-2016, 11:06 AM
While it is resaonable, googling timezones shouldnt be a problem.

With all due respect, I don't know why people have this argument. There is no reason, at all, that VIP announcement shouldn't have popular timezones beyond the rather specific PST slice on the announcement page like they once were. Why put the work on the player? All it does is start a thread like this and make an unneeded percent of the population salty.

As others have noted, there are reasons why googling time zones on the run or juggling life is an added layer of complexity that can further scramble the rather precarious timing of a VIP tournament. Just put up PST/EST/GMT like they once did - it's a standard listing trio for world-wide timing.

Personally my memory has and always will be horrid/terrible/laughable, so I know I have missed a VIP tournament as I tried to do the math in my head, or googled the difference while on the run and forgot the original PST time on my phone by the time I googled it and put in the wrong hour. I've done this a few times because I am an idiot in this regard. I didn't fall into that error when they started listing multiple time zones.

Roy_G
04-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Bring Phenteo back.Tell him all the terrorantulas miss him.

KingGabriel
04-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Well given that I was the person that suggested using world clock links in the first place, clearly the issue is people not heeding my royal decrees. To the tower with them! :D