PDA

View Full Version : Elf Warlocks

WolfCrypt
03-28-2016, 01:27 AM
So well Set 4 have Elf Warlocks you think? A lot of em? We only really got 3 cards for an Elf Warlock build those were in set 1 and only 1 card in set 2 to support Conjurer and Set 3 had a warlock but he was a blocker and had nothing to do mechanically wise with plant manipulation only art wise. So for most part Hex team been unable to make up Warlock cards for Elves which sucks.. Hopefully I'm just antsy to see my fave combination that I'm a bit grumpy lol

Lafoote
03-28-2016, 04:30 AM
I'm not even certain how warlocks fit in. It seems like a number of cards that should be mages or priests just had "warlock" printed on them by accident.

WolfCrypt
03-28-2016, 05:14 AM
I'm not even certain how warlocks fit in. It seems like a number of cards that should be mages or priests just had "warlock" printed on them by accident.

What is a 'warlock by accident' card for example?

wolzarg
03-28-2016, 06:02 AM
If you expect every card of a specific race/class arcetype to have a specific mechanic tied to them you will be very very disappointed. The so called blocker is just as much a elf warlock as anything else having "only" the art in common with the theme is perfectly viable as all it needs is something in common with the theme.

WolfCrypt
03-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Okay I suppose but still I feel like they've not really done anything with the pairing of Elven Warlock

Salverus
03-28-2016, 07:21 AM
does it matter? Warlock is not out in campaign either and there are no effects that effect warlocks only.
Same applies to shin'hare rogue, only 2 cards exist.

Erukk
03-28-2016, 07:57 AM

Elven warlocks seem to be getting a lot of plant based interactions. So I can see any buffs to the slight plant tribe going on might be tie in with them later on. I wouldn't be all that surprised if they touch on some "green necromancy" as well.

Audens
03-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Set 3 had a warlock but he was a blocker and had nothing to do mechanically wise with plant manipulation only art wise.

Not entirely true: with equipment it creates a Seed Pod on death.

Zurai
03-28-2016, 09:01 AM

I don't mean to be rude with this, so please accept my apology if it comes off that way.

I think you just don't understand what a warlock is in Hex. Hex's warlocks are spellcasters who interact with the dead -- whether raising them as zombies like the shin'hare or calling their spirits to fight for/guide them like the humans and coyotle. The only races which have a significant number of warlocks which are ambiguous in that regard are vennen and dwarves, and I expect we'll find out how those races' warlocks are using the dead to do what they do in game at some future point.

As to the elves, there are only two elven warlocks that I can see: Rotroot Enchanter and Briarpatch Conjuror. Rotroot has an obvious connection to death. Briarpatch is more ambiguous, but every card doesn't have to beat us over the head with its connections.

Turboflex
03-28-2016, 10:44 AM
Dwarf warlocks seem to have more mystical, esoteric interactions with robots. Clerics also do similar things but on a more basic, mechanical level.

Erukk
03-28-2016, 10:50 AM

I think you just don't understand what a warlock is in Hex. Hex's warlocks are spellcasters who interact with the dead -- whether raising them as zombies like the shin'hare or calling their spirits to fight for/guide them like the humans and coyotle. The only races which have a significant number of warlocks which are ambiguous in that regard are vennen and dwarves, and I expect we'll find out how those races' warlocks are using the dead to do what they do in game at some future point.

A mysterious calling, warlocks are as diverse as the locales they come from. Human warlocks have formed the Order of the Nobleborn and consult with the spirits of long-dead kings and knights. Necrotic warlocks are also called Midnight Shepherds and have a fierce command of the undead. Dwarven warlocks are embodiment of destruction, using anything and everything to fuel their lust for annihilation.

The Warlock is a bit more of a "fluid" class in Hex. There is going to be some races in which it more lines up with the current popular fantasy concept (shady figure practicing dark/forbidden magic or consulting with the dead), but some races, like the dwarves, elves, and the coyotle to a degree (considering how they view the world), the class bends more and gets shaded to reflect their cultural beliefs.

Catalonia
03-28-2016, 11:42 AM
i am experiencing a deja vu http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=47032&highlight=warlock
az2 will see ranger class and we will have to wait more for warlocks to be playable, so dont worry

Aradon
03-28-2016, 12:24 PM
A mysterious calling, warlocks are as diverse as the locales they come from. Human warlocks have formed the Order of the Nobleborn and consult with the spirits of long-dead kings and knights. Necrotic warlocks are also called Midnight Shepherds and have a fierce command of the undead. Dwarven warlocks are embodiment of destruction, using anything and everything to fuel their lust for annihilation.

The Warlock is a bit more of a "fluid" class in Hex. There is going to be some races in which it more lines up with the current popular fantasy concept (shady figure practicing dark/forbidden magic or consulting with the dead), but some races, like the dwarves, elves, and the coyotle to a degree (considering how they view the world), the class bends more and gets shaded to reflect their cultural beliefs.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that elven Warlocks focus on growing plant creatures, like the Briarpatch Conjurer. They're probably going to be the class closest to 'druid' in this game.

Audens
03-28-2016, 12:58 PM
I could have sworn that I read somewhere that elven Warlocks focus on growing plant creatures, like the Briarpatch Conjurer. They're probably going to be the class closest to 'druid' in this game.

I thought it was Elf Clerics that had the affinity for plants (hence their Satyr-like appearance)? There was definitely a thread about this, but heck if I can find it with the search tool the way it is.

WolfCrypt
03-28-2016, 04:03 PM
I thought it was Elf Clerics that had the affinity for plants (hence their Satyr-like appearance)? There was definitely a thread about this, but heck if I can find it with the search tool the way it is.

Elf Clerics are said to have the deepest connection of the three races that wield wild magic. Elf Warlocks are coined as mysterious outcast who possess dark magic to manipulate plants as dark weapons for war. They are said to control death and decay to create plants so I picture Legions to possibly have gore in them.