PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Spoilers From Cory

Chark
04-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Hello HEX People!

Cory here. I haven’t chimed in on a Friday update in quite some time, so I thought I would take this opportunity to spoil a few Primal Dawn cards and chat a bit about what to expect from HEX moving forward. The rest of 2016 is going to be amazing, and that’s coming off a pretty big accomplishment from the beginning of the year... our first large scale ESports event, the HEX Invitational!

https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-spoilers-from-cory/

WolfCrypt
04-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Sweet Taaionist is badass card. Also I hope to see Bun'jitsu on some PVP cards.

AdamAoE2
04-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Good stuff as always - looking forward to set 4. Hopefully I'll be wrapping up my software regression testing at work so I can spend more time Hexing! :)

Khendral
04-01-2016, 03:42 PM
What happens if a Savvas' Familiar that is in play is reverted?

AdamAoE2
04-01-2016, 03:45 PM
What happens if a Savvas' Familiar that is in play is reverted?

I would imagine it goes to the crypt as a Savvas' Evocation.

kindmime
04-01-2016, 03:46 PM
If rules follow, it reverts back to original the action would go into the graveyard.

bootlace
04-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Yey finally some love for my favorite race, the Shroomkin!. #freetheshroomkin

Vorsa
04-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Pippits partying with Shroomkin = joy! :p

Snap card judgements...

Savvas' Evocation
Hmm; the Evocation form is definitely the weak link - not useless, but 4RR for 5 troop damage is common calibre removal.
The Familiar form is solid enough with the Speed factor, though it is such a soft target for trade & removal I don't see it as a bomb in limited.
Brilliance is the rare element I think; it is costly for a ramp card, but with RR thrown in it should get even the biggest of ruby's big guns into play.
+ Great art across the board. :)

Grace of Tiaanost
Excellent value troop buff; see it more on cheap troops rather than costly diamond ones, which tend to already have Flight, Invincible or some other such selling point.
As a turn 3 play on a Protectorate Defender with Solidarity, it should be beastly in PvE.

Wrenlocke's Apprentice
Good value 'cantrip' troop - slightly more expensive than a sensei, but 2 more defense for providing presence in an action deck.
Could have a role in cleric decks, where it essentially comes packaged with a Blessing and the resulting card draw.

bofedy
04-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Grace of Tiaanost

great cad just what im looking for will be awsome in a lixil deck and eye of lixil wich suffer against flying royalty and who dosent want a soul calvary thay flys and most importantly trades with root father this card is gona be so handy if Daimond get any kind of draw we could see a good mono deck or a lixil deck :)

magic_gazz
04-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Have we not been "just getting the last few bugs" for quite a while now?

Does this include all the other bugs we still have? No mention of that.

The spoiler was nice but at this point its just a let down.

poizonous
04-01-2016, 05:53 PM
Honestly this update is fine with me i wouldn't really believe a release date announced on April fools day, but yeah overall disappointing to hear set is done just squashing bugs. Bugs never go away you get rid of one and introduce two more

ThrawnOmega
04-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Have we not been "just getting the last few bugs" for quite a while now?

Does this include all the other bugs we still have? No mention of that.

The spoiler was nice but at this point its just a let down.

Felt the same. I've been suuuper patient waiting for the new set, but it's getting crazy. It's maybe worse since I got to take a taste at the Invitational. I wasn't looking for bugs or anything, so I don't know how much was there to fix, but DAMN, it felt ready to go! I might lose my mind if it's not out April 12th or sooner.

Also, it's semantics, but 2nd week of April is not "early April," that is MID-April. OK, done letting beer guide my posts now. :)

superdax
04-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Felt the same. I've been suuuper patient waiting for the new set, but it's getting crazy. It's maybe worse since I got to take a taste at the Invitational. I wasn't looking for bugs or anything, so I don't know how much was there to fix, but DAMN, it felt ready to go! I might lose my mind if it's not out April 12th or sooner.

Also, it's semantics, but 2nd week of April is not "early April," that is MID-April. OK, done letting beer guide my posts now. :)

Everyone gets that 9 months is long, even the Hex guys, but there is something wrong with December= just missing some arts and April = still squishing bugs. That's 3 months and it was just missing art. You guys will never be able to pull out a set every 4 months and i would dream of 6 months.

The reasons might be
1- You design too complex cards and integrating them is difficult
2- You try to add to much content on release.

I mean every PVP set has a bunch of stuff attached to it,
1- Chest: Which means you need to create content for whats inside, which means PVE stuff (including equipment and PVE cards), sleeves, etc
2- Equipment: PVP cards have some. if there is 300 cards there is at least 100 equipment that needs to be designed, balanced, programmed and tested
3- Last patched had Gauthlet with set 3, Is there more stuff to be included in this patch that just makes them to big.
4- Lets now forget every card has sound.... 300 cards in the next set..thats long to do.

If i were Hex (and i know i'm just one guy here and they are a full team with people that know better than me but anyways) I would really seperate PVP and PVE stuff. PVP is money. PVE is also just alot less.

Don't make Equipment with PVP make them with PVE cards only.
Give Chest in the PVE (and have the stuff inside them instead of just popping out) and not in PVP packs.

I just feel that when you create a set you just have so much work around the set that is just not necessary and should just be moved.

Anyway this post got carried away. I'll be spending my money in another TCG this weekend...... too bad cuz i really just wanted to play Hex. One day maybe...

Elwinz
04-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Sweet Taaionist is badass card. Also I hope to see Bun'jitsu on some PVP cards.

Well But bunjitsu card exist already, tough PVE

bootlace
04-02-2016, 01:45 AM
Everyone gets that 9 months is long, even the Hex guys, but there is something wrong with December= just missing some arts and April = still squishing bugs. That's 3 months and it was just missing art. You guys will never be able to pull out a set every 4 months and i would dream of 6 months.

The reasons might be

1- Chest: Which means you need to create content for whats inside, which means PVE stuff (including equipment and PVE cards), sleeves, etc
2- Equipment: PVP cards have some. if there is 300 cards there is at least 100 equipment that needs to be designed, balanced, programmed and tested
3- Last patched had Gauthlet with set 3, Is there more stuff to be included in this patch that just makes them to big.
4- Lets now forget every card has sound.... 300 cards in the next set..thats long to do.

If i were Hex (and i know i'm just one guy here and they are a full team with people that know better than me but anyways) I would really seperate PVP and PVE stuff. PVP is money. PVE is also just alot less.

Give Chest in the PVE (and have the stuff inside them instead of just popping out) and not in PVP packs.

I just feel that when you create a set you just have so much work around the set that is just not necessary and should just be moved.

Anyway this post got carried away. I'll be spending my money in another TCG this weekend...... too bad cuz i really just wanted to play Hex. One day maybe...

It's not often that you'll hear players ask developers to cut down on features and content, but I understand where you're coming from. If they made such a move that would signal that they have kind of given up on this big dream of providing everything they have promised in KS and it would be a big disappointment beyond delayed set releases. I'm really glad personally that they still have the confidence/motivation/commitment to deliver on the amazing initial promise, even if it does take another year to get the schedule in sync, because I didn't fall in love with Hex simply for a dTCG with a PvP set release every 4 months (that already exists elsewhere)...it's everything else that makes it truly special and something that no other game can compete with, even years down the line.

I think the 9 months does sound alarming when you first process it but upon further reflection it's clear that it's related to the release of their PvE campaign, organization of their first ever eSports event, and successfully dealing with a giant lawsuit during that stretch. I think we have to believe them when they say that all the processes are getting more efficient and with a lot of the core systems and special one-of occurrences out of the way, I think the future is not as a gloomy as you paint it.

As passionate gamers we always think short-minded and don't give much credence to the overall picture. The fact that they're consistently pushing for a quality and full release instead of half-assing together some update to satisfy us I think is setting up more long-term goodwill than the negative short/medium term ill-will that delayed set releases creates. At the end we have to remember they're trying to create a huge AAA game and IP that will stand the test of time - and if the price to pay is a few years of this infrequent PvP set releases, I think we just have to accept it, no?

Khendral
04-02-2016, 06:21 AM
Just wondering, if I were to play Grace of Tiaanost on a on-death zone-changing troop ( Xentoth's Inquisitor)...where would it go upon death?

superdax
04-02-2016, 07:36 AM
It's not often that you'll hear players ask developers to cut down on features and content, but I understand where you're coming from. If they made such a move that would signal that they have kind of given up on this big dream of providing everything they have promised in KS and it would be a big disappointment beyond delayed set releases. I'm really glad personally that they still have the confidence/motivation/commitment to deliver on the amazing initial promise, even if it does take another year to get the schedule in sync, because I didn't fall in love with Hex simply for a dTCG with a PvP set release every 4 months (that already exists elsewhere)...it's everything else that makes it truly special and something that no other game can compete with, even years down the line.

I think the 9 months does sound alarming when you first process it but upon further reflection it's clear that it's related to the release of their PvE campaign, organization of their first ever eSports event, and successfully dealing with a giant lawsuit during that stretch. I think we have to believe them when they say that all the processes are getting more efficient and with a lot of the core systems and special one-of occurrences out of the way, I think the future is not as a gloomy as you paint it.

As passionate gamers we always think short-minded and don't give much credence to the overall picture. The fact that they're consistently pushing for a quality and full release instead of half-assing together some update to satisfy us I think is setting up more long-term goodwill than the negative short/medium term ill-will that delayed set releases creates. At the end we have to remember they're trying to create a huge AAA game and IP that will stand the test of time - and if the price to pay is a few years of this infrequent PvP set releases, I think we just have to accept it, no?

They don't need to give up their big dream. They just need to apply it differently. That means releasing PVP in a timely manner and add PVE in between. I agree that alot of people are in love with Hex because of what was promised in the KS and what it will offer in the long term. Unfortunately a TCG makes money with set releases. Its no wonder that some other TCG has a new set every 3 months. IN the end, thats what pays the bills and will pay for ALL the other stuff that is to come.

I often see new players coming in and saying that its empty and there is no players. As a new player do you want to stay in a game that has no players? Its not that there is no players, its that they are waiting for a new set and just laying around and in the end people are playing other games and putting money in other TCG instead of Hex.

I don't mind what and how they do it, I just want to play and have fun, and now its not fun.(I trust in the Hex team in creating a AAA game with great quality. Each time they release something new its always TOP quality)

Oh and thanks for the Update Cory, i know its not always easy and I am sure you are the first one to know that.

Keep up the good work :)

wolzarg
04-02-2016, 08:49 AM

The reasons might be

No need to point out the parts i agree with and they are many but let me just say that your assumption of the bugs being set 4 related might be flawed. We have had a new game mode hinted as well as i am sure other things comming possibly the oaks and so on. So the set might have been done for a while but other things connected to the patch may be the cause of the bugs and with the set date of early april i can understand if they rather keep to that and try to fix it than cut the things that are bugging and just push it out asap.

superdax
04-02-2016, 09:26 AM
No need to point out the parts i agree with and they are many but let me just say that your assumption of the bugs being set 4 related might be flawed. We have had a new game mode hinted as well as i am sure other things comming possibly the oaks and so on. So the set might have been done for a while but other things connected to the patch may be the cause of the bugs and with the set date of early april i can understand if they rather keep to that and try to fix it than cut the things that are bugging and just push it out asap.

Thats exactly my reasoning. Sorry if i was not more clear that its directly related to set 4. My post says either the set is too complet to programs or there is too much content on a release patch, which creates huge stuff to add and to test.

Splitting the content might be better but alot of People think that splitting is bad. I find it actually better. It creates something NEW in between set releases.

something in the line of
1- Set 4
2- New mode,
3- Rank
4- AZ2
5- Set 5
6- Another mode or special content

Now its more like
1- Set 4 - rank - new mode
2- AZ2
3- Set 5- another mode or special content.

Its probably easier for them to just release a huge patch, but for us it just makes longer time in between each content and less excitement in between.

Anyway I'm not saying that what they are doing is bad or they doN,t know what they are doing. Just that in a world where people are used to having content faster and lets not forget that the competitive DTCG is heating up very very very fast, i want Hex to have a big part of that and i want to just play HEX as my main game.

hex_colin
04-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Thats exactly my reasoning. Sorry if i was not more clear that its directly related to set 4. My post says either the set is too complet to programs or there is too much content on a release patch, which creates huge stuff to add and to test.

Splitting the content might be better but alot of People think that splitting is bad. I find it actually better. It creates something NEW in between set releases.

something in the line of
1- Set 4
2- New mode,
3- Rank
4- AZ2
5- Set 5
6- Another mode or special content

Now its more like
1- Set 4 - rank - new mode
2- AZ2
3- Set 5- another mode or special content.

Its probably easier for them to just release a huge patch, but for us it just makes longer time in between each content and less excitement in between.

Anyway I'm not saying that what they are doing is bad or they doN,t know what they are doing. Just that in a world where people are used to having content faster and lets not forget that the competitive DTCG is heating up very very very fast, i want Hex to have a big part of that and i want to just play HEX as my main game.

There is a huge amount of effort involved with each patch that doesn't get content created. If you have hundreds of people you can pull off what you want between major content patches. When you have 50, you can't.

Solution: the more money you spend (and everyone else). The faster you'll get your content! ;)

Poetic
04-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Need the content to spend money though :p

SacrificialToast
04-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Just wondering, if I were to play Grace of Tiaanost on a on-death zone-changing troop ( Xentoth's Inquisitor)...where would it go upon death?

I think you would stack the triggers. Then whichever one resolves first would go off, then the second would either fizzle or happen anyway. Not sure which.

superdax
04-02-2016, 04:33 PM
There is a huge amount of effort involved with each patch that doesn't get content created. If you have hundreds of people you can pull off what you want between major content patches. When you have 50, you can't.

Solution: the more money you spend (and everyone else). The faster you'll get your content! ;)

Create content = gets money. :)

Also, like you said, alot of effort is involved with each patch that doesn't get content created... then create content, just split them in smaller patch:)

Anyway, I'm no expert in the matter and I still believe that the Hex team knows what their doing, but from an outside point of view its not really good. :)

poizonous
04-02-2016, 06:18 PM
That's been my one huge issue with content in this game. Small company shouldn't push for so much in each patch, smaller more frequent patches will keep people happier than one large patch that gets pushed back months due to all the bugs being introduced by trying to implement 5 things at once. I know they are behind on things they promised everyone but trying to push it all out at once it's just making things slower

hex_colin
04-02-2016, 07:03 PM
That's been my one huge issue with content in this game. Small company shouldn't push for so much in each patch, smaller more frequent patches will keep people happier than one large patch that gets pushed back months due to all the bugs being introduced by trying to implement 5 things at once. I know they are behind on things they promised everyone but trying to push it all out at once it's just making things slower

I think people are missing the point. Let's look at an example (with completely made up numbers). Say it takes 12 weeks to create a set. 3 weeks to add PVE deck saves. And 4 weeks to add a new Gauntlet mode. That's 19 weeks of development. Then say it takes 3 weeks to prepare and execute a content patch no matter what is in it.

If I do it all together it takes 22 weeks. If I do it in 3 patches it takes 28 weeks. Same overall content, but splitting it up takes longer. And it takes 6 weeks away from content generation. With a larger team it wouldn't matter because you could devote folks to just doing patches. However, HEX isn't at that point yet, even though I have no doubt they'll get there.

Look, I live my life in a state of perpetual instant gratification, but I also understand that sometimes waiting is better because you get more/better whatever over the longer term. ;)

poizonous
04-02-2016, 07:15 PM
But 22 weeks with nothing in between its worse than 28 weeks of ooccasiona Content patches

hex_colin
04-02-2016, 07:24 PM
But 22 weeks with nothing in between its worse than 28 weeks of ooccasiona Content patches

That's your view. It's not mine. And it's demonstrably a significantly more efficient use of resources, which is better for the game in the longer term.

It's also something that should be less and less of an issue. As the game matures and makes more money then we'll see a patch every 2 months or so and everyone will be happy. But you can't magically get to that point. You need to make the best use of the resources available to you and hope your trade-offs pay off.

superdax
04-02-2016, 07:52 PM
I think people are missing the point. Let's look at an example (with completely made up numbers). Say it takes 12 weeks to create a set. 3 weeks to add PVE deck saves. And 4 weeks to add a new Gauntlet mode. That's 19 weeks of development. Then say it takes 3 weeks to prepare and execute a content patch no matter what is in it.

If I do it all together it takes 22 weeks. If I do it in 3 patches it takes 28 weeks. Same overall content, but splitting it up takes longer. And it takes 6 weeks away from content generation. With a larger team it wouldn't matter because you could devote folks to just doing patches. However, HEX isn't at that point yet, even though I have no doubt they'll get there.

Look, I live my life in a state of perpetual instant gratification, but I also understand that sometimes waiting is better because you get more/better whatever over the longer term. ;)

Unfortunately its not a question of instant gratification, its a question of who will get the players money.

No content = no money

More content = more money

28 weeks with 3 contents = more money since players will want to try the different content on each launch. vs 22 weeks with 1 content
people will try it all at once and stop playing after a while.

You are in a better position to know what's happening in Hex HQ than any of us. If their plan is to create something in the long run and they have the financial capacity to make bigger content patch with more time in between then be my guess. But like anything in life, people get tired and pass to something else no matter in what business we are in. Thats something that I don't want for Hex and I am also patient (to some extent) and I am waiting impatiently at Set 4 and Set 5 for this year. :)

IronPheasant
04-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Incremental updates don't generate as much of a bounce in player numbers as named expansions do. Because they don't generate marketing and word of mouth.

Quite frankly, I would have refactored the equipment system at the design phase completely. The overhead it puts on set dev time, as well as the fact that its non-progressive (ie, you can't get a progressively betterer sword for your Rune Ear Commander for example. That kind of mmo loot treadmill doesn't exist here)... the same basic gist could have been done with stuff like "Four plants in your deck get +1 def".

Cernz
04-02-2016, 11:52 PM
+1 for content in smaller steps, even when it takes a bit longer in the end to get all things out.

Its also a sign to the players, at least it gives a feeling that something happens and they might keep playing more than waiting month to get back to hex.

I understand colin too, but his points dont count imo, he has way more infos and he did see the progressions and future content etc.. if they keep it in big patches, they need to show more work in progress stuff to the players, way more stuff. Guess this could help.

wolzarg
04-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Incremental updates don't generate as much of a bounce in player numbers as named expansions do. Because they don't generate marketing and word of mouth.

Quite frankly, I would have refactored the equipment system at the design phase completely. The overhead it puts on set dev time, as well as the fact that its non-progressive (ie, you can't get a progressively betterer sword for your Rune Ear Commander for example. That kind of mmo loot treadmill doesn't exist here)... the same basic gist could have been done with stuff like "Four plants in your deck get +1 def".
I would absolutely hate that kind of generic equipment it may take time but a lot of the pve crowd will tell you its time well spent. Personally what i really want is the equipment sets to come. I still don't know if they scrapped that idea or if they just need more and/or more rare loot before they implement it but it was a awesome idea and it still is.

magic_gazz
04-03-2016, 07:31 PM

The number of players lost to boredom with quicker releases is much lower I would be willing to bet, and you can put a price on that.

bootlace
04-04-2016, 04:45 AM
More frequent, shallower content releases might save the day and satisfy some of the hardcore players who log-in everyday but it doesn't exactly put Hex in a position to grow as quickly as their current strategy would. The reason they're still not marketing heavily is not because they aren't releasing PvP sets every 4 months, it's still because they're trying to perfect that new player onboarding experience. And that requires every single thing they've developed thus far that's not PvP cards: including PvE cards, PvE equipment, all campaign content, tutorial, leveling/class/talents/loot systems etc etc.

So yea in the big picture, PvP is just one of the components, even if it is still the single most important one..especially as far as monetization goes. If you break everything apart and release in small chunks then everything gets further delayed due to the inefficiencies around testing and releasing patches, including gap between PvP set releases...and I'm sure no one wants that.

I think what they could have done to appease the playerbase during these large gaps in content releases could have been involving them a little bit in the sausage making process (or at least giving the sense that they're involving them) but I guess the CM and devs didn't have time for that. For example some weekly/monthly/even quarterly development update on what they've been working would not only appease players wondering what exactly is going on but it would also give players a chance to chime in with some feedback and feel involved.

Showsni
04-05-2016, 07:55 AM
I must say I miss those heady days of Alpha where we got a new content + bug fix patch every fortnight, or even every week. Look back at newsposts like:

https://www.hextcg.com/patch-820-breakdown/ (Jan 9th 2014)
https://www.hextcg.com/patch-821-breakdown/ (Jan 23rd 2014)
https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v822-breakdown/ (Feb 6th 2014)
https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v823-breakdown/ (Feb 13th 2014)

4 content patches in the space of just over a month, adding new cards, new gameplay modes, a lot of big fixes, and a handy breakdown of current known issues. It felt like every week you could log in and find something new and exciting.

Now, I'm not saying I expect major new patches every week, or that we'd want a set released piecemeal as set one originally was. But it would be nice to at least get a bug fix patch every fortnight.

Yoss
04-05-2016, 09:26 AM
I must say I miss those heady days of Alpha where we got a new content + bug fix patch every fortnight, or even every week. Look back at newsposts like:

https://www.hextcg.com/patch-820-breakdown/ (Jan 9th 2014)
https://www.hextcg.com/patch-821-breakdown/ (Jan 23rd 2014)
https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v822-breakdown/ (Feb 6th 2014)
https://www.hextcg.com/patch-v823-breakdown/ (Feb 13th 2014)

4 content patches in the space of just over a month, adding new cards, new gameplay modes, a lot of big fixes, and a handy breakdown of current known issues. It felt like every week you could log in and find something new and exciting.

Now, I'm not saying I expect major new patches every week, or that we'd want a set released piecemeal as set one originally was. But it would be nice to at least get a bug fix patch every fortnight.

I suppose that was because nothing was monetized yet so they had no fear of game-breaking bugs and could therefore just run fast and loose.

publicuser
04-05-2016, 10:42 AM
I suppose that was because nothing was monetized yet so they had no fear of game-breaking bugs and could therefore just run fast and loose.

In guess, its the Software Development Process that's in discussion here. There are many processes such as Waterfall, Prototyping, Incremental development, Iterative and incremental development, Agile, etc... Software_development_process (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_process)

Each process has its own pros and cons. I think the Hex team is using the Waterfall Model, while some people are suggesting to use the Agile Methodology (though they are unaware of it). I'm aware of the cons of the Agile Methodology, but still I too would prefer the Agile Methodology for Hex Development.

Showsni
04-05-2016, 10:49 AM

Yes, that was my reasoning... If they accidentally add a bug that, say, doubles the rate at which legendaries drop from packs, no big deal. If they did that now it could have serious implications, so everything needs a lot more testing.

Yoss
04-05-2016, 01:01 PM
In guess, its the Software Development Process that's in discussion here. There are many processes such as Waterfall, Prototyping, Incremental development, Iterative and incremental development, Agile, etc... Software_development_process (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_process)

Each process has its own pros and cons. I think the Hex team is using the Waterfall Model, while some people are suggesting to use the Agile Methodology (though they are unaware of it). I'm aware of the cons of the Agile Methodology, but still I too would prefer the Agile Methodology for Hex Development.

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say what they're using, since I learned it under NDA. I will just say that they have a team that understands software development and has chosen the model they think is most efficient for their product.

Chark
04-06-2016, 07:53 PM
I must say I miss those heady days of Alpha where we got a new content + bug fix patch every fortnight, or even every week.

What you were seeing at that time were essentially dev builds. There was no fear to break stuff, because breaking stuff didn't really matter. To provide context, we have daily dev builds for the game now, you just don't see them.

We now work with a larger team and a publisher, so pushing stuff to live is a much more rigorous process.