PDA

View Full Version : Steam: Most up-voted comment and DLC.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 03:12 AM
Hey fellow Hexers, Phoenix from whitephoenixtv here.

As many of you are aware, there are a lot of potential dangers and opportunities coming our way with the upcoming steam launch of HEX. Since a lot of them have been discussed already in the official announcement thread I wont bother to repeat them all here. After a long discussion with Insanctus about the pros and cons of this decision by HEX Entertainment we arrived at 2 major conclusions.

Its really hard for HEX Entertainment themselves to leverage the advantage of the "Free to play" label, while also explaining to new players (via Trailer/Article/etc) that the game does in fact tend to cost a lot of money to compete on a high level. But there is one great thing that they can do, and one great thing we as a community can do about this and a bunch of other controversial topics (Like Magic the Gathering similarities).

1.) The most important thing that we as a community can do for a successful steam launch (besides being as helpful in client and in the forums as we always are), is target the most impact-full aspect of a steam game. The rating and the highest up-voted comment.
If any of you are familiar with steam and its economy (And me and Insanctus have been with steam since the day the client launched for the first time), the 3 things the majority of new players check from a game before deciding to buy or to try it are the trailer, the rating and the highest up-voted positive/negative comment of the game.

So I propose the following that we as a community can do, but HEX Entertainment can't. (Shouldn't!)

I write a comment with your help (I will provide you with a starting blueprint down below that we can iterate on together), that tries to address some of the major controversial topics and then up vote it all the way to the top so that we can make sure the majority of new steam players will have read that small but important piece of content before they start the game with potentially flawed expectations. No multiple accounts or anything, just use your one vote, if not enough people agree or want to support this idea it will simply not work.

Obviously I m not only open to feedback concerning the steam comment itself, but also about the idea in general. If people have concerns about why this is a good or bad idea, feel free to debate inside this thread.

2.) The second thing are one-time DLC packs on Steam. A lot of "free to play" games have these to support their studio and at this day are the norm and no longer the exception. Depending on their nature they also are the best way for a publisher to communicate to new players that you can in fact spent a lot of money inside the game.

The nature of these is something that can be discussed here as well, but I m sure Chark and co have more than enough ideas and experience to find the perfect 1-3 options for players. Chark also mentioned that he pitched the idea of Hex costing something like 20 bucks while offering some ingame goodies to compensate for that. This idea has the best of all worlds. Hex still maintains its free to play status, but it presents the options of spending money early and transparent, while also creating extra revenue by offering people a tempting discount option once.
Obviously this discount needs to be implemented in a way that is not ab-usable, but there are plenty of options to make sure that doesn't happen.

Some closing words.
I don't know if either of these ideas was brought up in the main thread because I didn't read all 30+ pages, if so, just consider this my vote for those ideas. I also realize the fact that it might be too late for the second idea to be implemented at launch, I don't know the scheduling behind the scenes of steam, but even if that was true, this could still be implemented afterwards and have great effect.

I will post the "blue print" first version of my idea for the steam comment in my second post, feel free to discuss!

EDIT: Here is the "final" version I m currently running with. If I find more time and feedback before the steam launch I will continue to iterate and change this version further.

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game: [Along with a TLDR answer for each question]

1.) What is Free to Play in this game? [Many hours of PvE]
PvE is RPG-meets-TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and in-game currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house, and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough. Check this great guide for more in depth information on F2P in HEX: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663434222

2.) So how much do I end up paying in the end? [From $0 to $1,000 and beyond]
You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading for what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the $100k invitational, a large collection will be a long-term advantage. It may cost you a lot, but it will gain value over time and can be resold!

3.) Is this like Magic: The Gathering? [Similar concept with different strengths]
HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into, but it's not as vast as MtG yet and lacks its face-to-face social interaction.

4.) Does this have a good community? [One of the best around]
It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments.

5.) Can I trust the developer? [Yes!]
The company is designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing Indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times, but they are worth it in the end.

6.) Should I play this game? [If you are new, yes! If you are a veteran, yes!]
This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and then leaves you wanting. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with flexible time and money commitment. You wont regret giving this a try.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 03:18 AM
So first off some of my priorities for high quality steam posts.

1.) It needs to be as concise as possible! (4~ paragraphs or 20~ sentences)
2.) Its less important to be detailed and more important to have strong comments.
(I hate this aspect but sadly its a big point in public relations when its about marketing)
3.) It will need some credibility and I will give my own TCG resume for that
4.) It should be super neutral and highlight current weaknesses just as much as strengths

This is just my first version, I will iterate on it myself before I post it on steam and as I said above this thread serves the explicit purpose of everyone giving their opinion on it.
Also I'm not a native speaker, so please point out all typos, I m most likely not aware of them.

"This review tries to cover the most important things you should know before getting into the game from the perspective of a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.)Free to play had and has many meanings, so what is F2P in this game?
- You can have dozens of hours of fun in PvE (the quickly growing RPG aspect of the game)
- You can learn to play TCGs at you leisure without investing money or embarrassing yourself
- You can farm your way into your first PvP experience at a reasonable rate

So you can learn and try everything in this game for free, before deciding whether or not you enjoy the competitive side of TCGs enough to spent money.
You can in theory compete without spending any or a lot of money, but having a bigger collection will give you a definite long-term advantage.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have fundamental similarities and differences, but if you love one you are very likely to love the other one as well. Which you prefer depends on your priorities, HEX has a great online experience, PvE(F2P) and is a lot easier to get into. It does have the same quality but not yet(!) the same quantity of content.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find in a game. You will find out what this means as soon as you play the game, but lets just say that its very hard to find any toxic behavior and very easy to get all kinds of help from people.

4.)Most of HEXs weaknesses have already been overcome during the 3 year long Alpha/Beta. But since this isn't a cheap Korean scam but an AAA quality game produced by a still growing studio, the wait times between new content have been the must frustrating downside of HEX in the past. The pace of content creation is steadily increasing though and you always get rewarded for your patience.

5.)Last but not least, this is a TCG. You can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. And even if you are better than your opponent, he always has a chance of getting lucky and the over way around. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. And believe it or not, skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game."

I m not satisfied with this at all, but it became a decent first take. Its too long for one thing and I have the feeling I missed 1-2 important things. I ll get back to this thread from time to time so have fun dismembering what I wrote =).

EDIT: This is the first major iteration

"I am a streamer and have played HEX for 3 years since alpha; Magic and other TCGs for over 10 years.

1.)What is F2P in this game?
- Many hours of PvE (RPG meets TCG)
- Learn to play TCGs without investing money or embarrassing yourself
- Farm your way into PvP at a reasonable rate

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. The first tournament had a 100 000$ prize pool and you could compete for free, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and can cost you hundreds of $. But if you ever become good enough the game pays for itself or better.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, PvE and is a lot easier to get into.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. Its hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organizing events with great prizes.

4.)Since this is a AAA quality game made by an indie studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. 3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

5.)In this TCG you can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate. Between money, luck and skill, skill is the most impact-full factor for success."

This has a nice length but some stuff is missing and some phrasing is controversial.

EDIT2: Second major iteration:

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game:

1.)What is Free to Play in this game?
This game has free PvE (RPG meets TCG) content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and ingame currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough.

2.)So how much do I end up paying in the end?
You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading your way to what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the 100 000$ invitational, a big collection will be a long-term advantage that can cost you hundreds of dollars.

3.)Is this like Magic: The Gathering?
HEX and MtG have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature for a lot of innovation, has growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into.

4.)Does this have a good community?
Yes. It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments.

5.)Can I trust the developer?
The developers are designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times that are worth it in the end.

6.)Should I play this game?
This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and than leaves you hollow. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with very flexible time commitment. If you are new to the genre, this is the best game to try for yourself and if you are a TCG veteran you will find almost everything you ever wanted or find out that its coming soon.

This has a lot of nice content (maybe too much) but is too long. I d like to get the skill cap of the game in there too q.q.

Including the TLDR version here:

TLDR:
1.)What is Free to Play in this game? Many hours PvE
2.)So how much do I end up paying in the end? 0-1000+$
3.)Is this like Magic: The Gathering? Same concept, different strengths
4.)Does this have a good community? One of the best around.
5.)Can I trust the developer? He doesn't need money and builds his dream game... yes!
6.)Should I play this game? If you are new : yes! If you are a veteran : yes!

MasterN64
04-10-2016, 04:01 AM
This is a pretty good idea actually. I dont believe this violates the whole begging or paying for reviews clause in the steam terms of use but depending on how its worded it could stand on shaky ground. Granted they are not compensating us in any way for doing any of this but with a stretch of logic it could end up looking shady. Before any of this is acted on we should probably get the go ahead from a NOBLE or something just to ensure its not going to rock the boat.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 04:22 AM
I had a similar feeling but ironically getting a go ahead from a Noble almost makes it more fishy. (Because than HEX actually is involved at all in this movement) ^^. I did ask NOBLERoostasaur but I have no feedback on this yet. I will post this no matter what because it is just my own personal review on the game anyways.

Poetic
04-10-2016, 04:29 AM
Don't see how it would be an issue if it's just community members going about it on their own. I'm definitely all for letting people know what f2p is and what they should expect with this game. Yes it's a game, but it's also a hobby you could be playing for 20 years if it's successful. People should know money will be required for that.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 04:31 AM
This is my second try (currently iterating). I think it makes sense to have some of these versions separate and not just edit them. That way people can point out different version they like better and argue more clearly.

"This review tries to cover the most important things you should know before getting into the game from the perspective of a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

- Farm your way into some PvP at a reasonable rate

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spent money. You can compete without spending money, but having a bigger collection will give you a definite long-term advantage.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, PvE and is a lot easier to get into.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find in a game. Its very hard to find any toxic behavior and very easy to get all kinds of help from people.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. Most of HEXs other weaknesses have been fixed during the 3 year long Beta.

5.)This is a TCG! You can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. But skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game."

So this should already be a much better steam comment even though I hate to cut words more than anything. I believe I cut a lot of volume without hurting the content too much with this first iteration.

Antfunk
04-10-2016, 04:40 AM
One thing I think is key to mention in reviews is what to do with gold and also highlighting arena as being the best gold return. Going to mention that you can buy booster packs with gold as I read a review slating how with a competitor game you could buy all the booster packs with the freely earned in game currency but not in Hex which is obviously incorrect as you can buy boosters of the AH for gold.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 04:50 AM
I agree, tried to convey that with "- Farm your way into some PvP at a reasonable rate", feel free to tell me if thats not obvious enough. And "You can try everything in this game for free..."

Timlagor
04-10-2016, 05:38 AM
Indeed only looks fishy to me if you do get approval from a HEX employee.

I don't use Steam so have no opinion on how people make their decisions there but this certainly sounds plausible. I know I tend to go straight for the content of the negative comments on Amazon but highly voted comments are certainly a thing too.

Here's a shot at Draft 2. Not every change is necessarily an improvement but it seemed easier to write a new draft than detail the changes. I think point 4 needs some work but nothing good is coming to mind

I'm a streamer who's played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.) This game is genuinely free to play but not free to compete
- You can have dozens of hours of fun in PvE (the quickly growing RPG aspect of the game) for free
- You can learn to play TCGs at you leisure without investing money or embarrassing yourself
- You can farm for gold that has real value at a very respectable rate and get into PVP that way by spending time instead of $ but it will take a LOT of hours to amass a competitive collection.

You can learn and try everything in this game for free, before deciding whether or not you enjoy the competitive side of TCGs enough to spend money.
You can in theory compete without spending any or a lot of money, but having a bigger collection will give you a definite long-term advantage.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have fundamental similarities and differences, but if you love one you are very likely to love the other one as well. Which you prefer depends on your priorities, HEX has a great online experience, PvE(F2P) and is a lot easier to get into. It does have the same quality but not yet(!) the same quantity of content. It also has a number of very interesting mechanics that simply aren't available in meatspace.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find in a game. You will find out what this means as soon as you play the game, but lets just say that its very hard to find any toxic behavior and very easy to get all kinds of help from people.

4.)Most of HEXs weaknesses have already been overcome during the 3 year long Alpha/Beta. But since this isn't a cheap Korean scam but an AAA quality game produced by a still growing studio, the wait times between new content have been the must frustrating downside of HEX in the past. The pace of content creation is steadily increasing though and you always get rewarded for your patience.

5.)Last but not least, this is a TCG. You can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. And even if you are better than your opponent, he always has a chance of getting lucky and the over way around. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. And believe it or not, skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game.

Eierdotter
04-10-2016, 05:46 AM
i do not think you need to explain how to farm and stuff in a steam comment, it should just be a disclaimer what the game is all about.
but i think you need to point out that the official CZE forum is the go to source for any kind of information, be it new player guides, deckideas, farming strategies, etc.

maybe add a little more about the community, for example that there are community sponsored free tournaments, giveaways etc. but that will probably blow up the lenght again...

good job on cutting the points down though, it felt like reading the exact same thing twice

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 05:54 AM
I like some of your changes timlagor and I agree with mentioning the forums if I can make it happen.
Lets make changes in the post bold so we can distinguish easier without rereading it a hundred times.

"I am a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spent money. You can compete without spending money, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and will cost you hundreds of $.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. Its hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organizing events.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. 3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

5.)In this TCG you can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate. Between money, luck and skill, skill is the most impact-full factor for success."

Also cut down some parts again to save more space/attention.
I also checked how this looks on steam and its becoming a very decent length.
If we add information we have to make sure its worth it or cut even more.

incitfulmonk21
04-10-2016, 06:16 AM
Like it so far except will cost 100 of dollars because there are quite a few people who go infinite and actually make money off playing Hex and it costs them nothing. Also some mention of the 100k tournament should be made as that is a huge selling point.

Glad you are doing this though because I really like the draft so far. Also, you can try everything ...... spent -> spend

Edit: rethinking definitely should say something about having to spend money just not a fan the current way. Wish I could be more constructive.

Edit 2: and most likely will cost..... still not sold on that wording either but maybe something more in that direction.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 06:27 AM
Yeah I thought about the 100K and it felt like HEX will do enough to advertise it on their own. But you are right I should probably say that you can earn real money and might as well use the 100K as an example. Also I agree with your criticism, the money part is one of the hardest ones to say in a concise manner.
I am a kickstarter and spend more than 1k on hex ... but now I make a lot more than I spend ingame (going infinite). (thx for pointing out spent -> spend)
Its very different depending on original investment, tcg history, talent, time, etc etc

Lets try some other ways for the money and include the 100K:

"I am a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (alpha), Magic and other TCGs for over 10 years.

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. The first tournament had a 100 000$ prize pool and you could compete for free, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and can cost you hundreds of $. But if you ever become good enough the game pays for itself or better.

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. Its hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organizing events.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content.3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

I realize that you still had to gather Qualifier tickets, but you could farm booster packs for those. Its not a perfectly honest thing to say in my opinion but close enough that I feel somewhat comfortable with it. Will iterate more on this once the fiveshards weekly is done or tomorrow.

ossuary
04-10-2016, 06:32 AM
I think this is a great idea as well. There are a few typos in your current write-up, and I have some thoughts on things to say. I'll mull it over in my head today and post this evening with some suggestions and corrections on the typos if they haven't already been pointed out by others / fixed at that point. :)

Eierdotter
04-10-2016, 06:56 AM
not sure about the 100k thing, CZE is selling theyr game as having tournaments with prices so why mention a specific one.
if you want to sell someone on playing LoL you do not mention the championships and that if you train hard enough, you could earn money for playing...
99% of people who read this on steam will not be able to participate in this kind of big worldwide tournament anyway and not be interrested in it in the first place. big competitions are something you grow into and not a selling point IMHO.

The big goals with this post are:
- conveying what FTP means for a TCG
- the community is awesome and will help you out

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 07:21 AM
I see where you are coming from eierdotter, but dont forget the power of the american dream. Many more people dream of being a star than actually try or become. I think mentioning a big figure as an example does go a long way to show what is possible. Even though its not likely for most to achieve.

GobBluth
04-10-2016, 07:40 AM
My comments are in bold. I think its a good start but could be more concise and I think there are other areas of the game that could be focused on. This is a tough thing to get down and I'll think about it more.

I'm a streamer who's played HEX for 3 years (since alpha) and TCGs in general for over 10 years.

1.) This game is genuinely free to play but not free to compete. (Instead: The PVE half of this game is completely free to play. You receive 200 cards to start and can earn new cards and gold as you play. Gold can be traded for platinum to enter the PVP half of the game but it is a grind to be a F2P player in PVP. A modest initial investment can go a long way in PVP)
- You can have dozens of hours of fun in PvE (the quickly growing RPG aspect of the game) for free
- You can learn to play TCGs at you leisure without investing money or embarrassing yourself. (I donít like saying embarrassing yourself here. Saying at your leisure is fine.)
- You can farm for gold that has real value at a very respectable rate and get into PVP that way by spending time instead of $ but it will take a LOT of hours to amass a competitive collection.
-(There is a fully functional auction house where all cards can be sold for gold or platinum so you can sell the cards you have for gold or platinum)

You can learn and try everything in this game for free, before deciding whether or not you enjoy the competitive side of TCGs enough to spend money.
(Iím not a fan of this whole paragraph. Need to specify that you can try all the PVE for free, but that was what the above bullet points get across. You can't try PVP for free, takes a time investment or money.)

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have fundamental similarities and differences, but if you love one you are very likely to love the other one as well. Which you prefer depends on your priorities, HEX has a great online experience, PvE(F2P) and is a lot easier to get into. It does have the same quality but not yet(!) the same quantity of content. It also has a number of very interesting mechanics that simply aren't available in meatspace. (This could be more a discussion of how Hex separates itself in the digital space rather than a comparison to Magic. Could mention it, but not sure how much of a major selling point this is)

4.)Most of HEXs weaknesses have already been overcome during the 3 year long Alpha/Beta. But since this isn't a cheap Korean scam but an AAA quality game produced by a still growing studio, the wait times between new content have been the must frustrating downside of HEX in the past. The pace of content creation is steadily increasing though and you always get rewarded for your patience. (I know its toungue in cheek but I donít like the Korean/Asian thing. Could make the same point without it.)

5.)Last but not least, this is a TCG. You can buy some power (some cards are more powerful than others and some decks are superior to others), but you can't buy wins. (A $25 dollar deck can beat a $300 deck if it is constructed properly). And even if you are better than your opponent, he always has a chance of getting lucky and the over way around. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win rate. And believe it or not, skill is the much more impact-full factor on your success in game.

Chocmaw
04-10-2016, 08:25 AM
I like the idea. I'll probably do a separate review in my own, more conversational style which will hopefully garner upvotes as well to help the game. Some suggestions to think of for this one below:

"I am a Twitch streamer and have played HEX for 3 years since alpha; MtG and other TCGs for over 10 years.

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. Once you're confident enough, you can invest $20-$30 in the game and it can potentially pay for itself or better, because you can sell what you win on the player-run Auction House for in-game currency to sustain your play.

1. What is F2P in this game? - 15-20 hours of PvE (RPG meets TCG) which can be re-played with a different faction with a very different experience. Classes and Talent trees impact your play as well.

2. If you want to speed up the process of gaining powerful cards, you can invest money in them, but skill plays a more important role in determining who wins PvP tournaments.

3. HEX and MtG have many similarities and differences. HEX has a great online experience which gives you flexibility if you don't have time to go to a local store or want to play at 3AM, is a lot easier to get into, and has free PvE.

4. HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. It's hard to find toxic behavior and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organize free events with great prizes.

5. This is a high quality game made by a growing indie studio, which has steadily gained momentum. Previously, new content came out every 6 months or so, but they are progressing to their goal of delivering new sets of cards thrice a year in addition to new PvE areas called Adventure Zones.

6. Some of the features coming in the future - A brand new set of cards, A new PvE Adventure Zone which is twice the size of the original, New PvE Classes and A ranked ladder system which will tie into their next $100k tournament - the previous one was a smashing success with the winner taking home $40k!

7. Finally, this is a proper TCG, where your collections have real-world value on the secondary market with the potential to grow over time. You'll frequently hear about people who have invested $50 in the game for a year, and have multiplied that value many times over.

If you're looking for a game that you can dedicate yourself to, which will reward you with many hours of challenges and enjoyment, jump on board and stick around. You're going to love it!

1AM here. Someone should probably edit it for length. Ttyt. Night.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Thx for the input guys.
@Chocmaw I like some small tweaks and corrections that are just better english.
A lot of the more detailed stuff you mentioned are things I already considered but
decided that they spent too much volume on specifics that are better explained by
players in game or learned by experience.
This is obviously the hardest part to judge, but I want to try and not give any
"examples" and stick more to generalizations. Because examples are always
debatable, incomplete and take up a lot of space.

I like point 7 and will see if I can squeeze it in. Point 6 sounds too much as advertisement to me
and I dont want to say anything about specific features if possible.

@GobBluth
I m a little confused since your version doesnt seem more concise and I don't know if you intended it to be?
But I agree that it wants to be as concise as possible.
Similar to what I said to Chocmaw I d like to avoid details and examples for the above mentioned reasons.

The Korean/Asian thing is interesting because I like how it breaks the "analytical statement" atmosphere.
Remember this is NOT supposed to be a semi official statement by hex at all, but a very personal opinion.
So in the end I like a slight unprofessional touch that makes it easier to relate to the person behind the comment.
Despite me asking for feedback and "writing this comment together" ... in the end it is still my name and
I wont say anything I m not convinced of.

Otherwise the comment needs to start with "This is an aggregated opinion of a bunch of people from the Hex community".
If I didnt get that across in my original post I apologize.

And I thought about the "digital only design space" as well, but as a game designer I have to say that its not that important. It creates a lot of awesome room for a fun game play, but it doesnt make it more fun by default and its a very long argument of how much of an advantage it actually is. So I dont want to start a giant discussion on a controversial topic within my review.

Also time investment is part of free to play (under most interpretations). So you can try pvp for free by grinding arena or getting pvp cards in pve etc. I do agree that this is whishi whashi, but it takes to much space to give examples and differentiate between how much time you have to invest for how many drafts etc etc.

And I think you didnt address the latest version but the one before that, which obviously can easily happen while I m editing. So this isnt criticism but just pointing out that some of your feedback (without embarrassing yourself) was already taken care of.

hitchslap88
04-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Hey guys. I thought I'd give this a shot. I enjoy writing this sort of thing.

Original:

"I am a streamer that played HEX for 3 years (alpha), Magic and other TCGs for over 10 years.

4.)Because this is an AAA quality game made by a growing studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content.3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

Rewrite:

I'm a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years, including MtG, Hearthstone (true?), and Hex since its Alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game:

1. Is it Free (F2P)?
Yes: PVE. PvP if you perform consistently well. You can farm PVE to pay for PvP in the Auction House.
No: Competing at the highest level (though some competitive decks require only moderate investment).

Smart players can use their preferred method to fund the game, whether through placing highly in hourly tournaments; farming the story-like, RPG PVE; or buying low and selling high on the AH. After I started playing Hex I realized that while most of the CCGs I've played made it easy to collect cards, only Hex made it easy to earn the cards I really wanted.

2. Is this just like Magic: the Gathering?
Yes and no. I'd say that they are based on the same successful formula: trading cards and complexity of play. Hex focuses on the digital space, which makes it more dynamic, creative, and accessible at the expense of the more tangible features of a physical game.

3. Does this have a good community?
Yes. It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic.

4. Is this well supported by the publisher?
Yes. HexEnt really cares about this game and works actively to address its problems and concerns from the community. However, their desire to produce a perfect game sometimes leads to delays in development. They've assured us that recent improvements in infrastructure will dramatically reduce future delays.

5. Should I play this?
If you're looking for a game that will razzle-dazzle you with a steady stream of cheap rewards, then no. Hex is a true TCG. Gamers who appreciate depth, quality, and a game that offers them genuine opportunities to earn its cards will stick with Hex for the long-haul. I can see myself playing this game for decades.

NaryaDL0re
04-10-2016, 11:14 AM
@hitch

I like a lot of what you did there. I ll incorporate some of that tonight or tomorrow. Thx for sharing.

wolzarg
04-10-2016, 01:35 PM
4.)Since this is a AAA quality game made by an indie studio and not a cheap Asian scam, you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. 3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

Point 4 has no need to be racially biased like that it could just as well say that it isn't a quick money grab or not your usual f2p or anything in that ballpark.

point 5 sounds like a smooth talker describing a money grab game to me i would much rather have you point out that there are a lot of cards of different raritys but that there are competitive decks in all price ranges that had great success when piloted by skilled players

In the fiveshard weekly i won there was a guy with a deck with basically no expensive cards that placed 4th he most likely won more in prizes by placing 4th than his entire deck cost could be a cool example. Could also be interesting to point out the time it would take to grind up to the cost of that deck.

I'm not saying to focus too hard on that specifically but it is the best example i have of a really really cheap deck doing very well and surpasing its own cost in value.

Largashbur
04-10-2016, 03:04 PM
I would like you to emphasize that this game is not one of these easy-to-learn games but that is offers true complexity that can take you years to master. Its learning curve is similar to complex games like EVE online.

wolzarg
04-10-2016, 03:08 PM
The game where you suck then get awesome only to realize you still actually suck it just seemed otherwise temporarily.

Kroan
04-10-2016, 03:16 PM
10/10 Would mulligan and blame shuffler again

Largashbur
04-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Oh and you could use some of the metacritic user reviews (including the bad ones) as a reference what points absolutely should be addressed in your review as to avoid misunderstandings: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hex-shards-of-fate

fido_one
04-10-2016, 04:06 PM
I would like you to emphasize that this game is not one of these easy-to-learn games but that is offers true complexity that can take you years to master. Its learning curve is similar to complex games like EVE online.

Heh hadn't seen that before, good job interwebs!

Eierdotter
04-10-2016, 05:00 PM
got a line that i think would be quite important to include in a shortened form:

Before you spend any cash on HEX i strongly suggest you check out the new player guides from our community to get the most bang for your buck.

this might sound very hurtful to CZE but if you advertise a game as F2P you have to cater to this audience.

magic_gazz
04-10-2016, 05:24 PM
got a line that i think would be quite important to include in a shortened form:

this might sound very hurtful to CZE but if you advertise a game as F2P you have to cater to this audience.

I highly recommend something like this.

Explain the game is not simple and that the guides are there for a reason.

Mejis
04-10-2016, 05:32 PM
This is a great idea.
I'm just going to throw in some of my own edit suggestions here (additions/changes in bold). Take them or leave them.

I am a streamer and have played HEX for 3 years since alpha; Magic and other TCGs for over 10 years.

- Many hours of PvE (RPG meets TCG; earn cards as you play, unlock skills as you progress in experience)

You can try everything in this game for free before deciding to spend money. The first tournament had a US$100 000 prize pool and you could compete for free, but having a bigger collection will give you a long-term advantage and can cost you hundreds of $. But if you ever become good enough the game pays for itself or better.

2.)HEX and Magic the Gathering have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, PvE and is a lot easier to get into. Plus, HEX has fully functioning tournament modes (constructed and sealed/limited, where in the latter everyone opens packs on the fly to make their deck, meaning there's zero pay-to-win and all about skill).

3.)HEX has one of the best communities you will ever find. It's hard to find toxic behaviour and easy to get help. The official forums and streamers are informative and actively organizing events with great prizes.

4.)Since this is a AAA quality game made by an indie studio [deleted stuff about Asian scam, dislike this wording], you sometimes have to wait a little for new content. 3 years of beta make for a very polished game.

5.)In this TCG you can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate. Between money, luck and skill, skill is the most impact-full factor for success.

Yoss
04-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Thank you all for working this. I have never had Steam and probably won't start just for Hex, so I won't be much help on that front, but it's great to know that our great community continues to deliver extra value for everyone involved.

Salverus
04-10-2016, 11:46 PM
No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate.
I don't like this sentence, when I read it my initial thought is "oh, so it's possible to buy yourself a 79% win rate with no skill?"
Why add a percentage when it's made up?

dbug
04-10-2016, 11:50 PM
I don't like this sentence, when I read it my initial thought is "oh, so it's possible to buy yourself a 79% win rate with no skill?"
Why add a percentage when it's made up?

I thought the same when reading this sentence.

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 12:11 AM
Some very helpful feedback. I ll just cave on my tongue in cheek Asian comment. Maybe its too biased on my own experience with all those scummy games. The CCG genre is one of the most infested genres when it comes to those money grabbing games, so it felt like an appropriate example. But I m violating my own rule of avoiding examples with that anyways, so I ll cut it.
(Oh and this has nothing to do with racial bias. That is the same as saying that rice is consumed mostly in Asia would be racist. Its not. There is a small group of chinese and korean enterprises that are responsible for the vast majority of these mobile scams. Has nothing to do with bias or hate speech.)

The 80% is not grabbed out of thin air, but a safe guard number that has never been broken long term in Magic on the Pro tour circuit and that I'm confident will not be broken in HEX. But I can see the skeptical "Oh so I can buy 80% winrate" reverse interpretation and I don't like that. So I ll try to find something better.

I like mentioning the very high skill cap. Its one point I always argued for and probably one of those "I think I m forgetting something important here" things I mentioned in my earlier posts. Lets see how we can squeeze it in there without wasting too much space.

@Kroan 10/10 would mulligan and blame shuffler again. (if it was just me, that'd be my bottom line... and If I dont put it in because of space/integrity , you should <3)

Also Glad about the metacritic link. I wrote a comment there myself and its a good source for positive and negative inspiration. Just rereading those comments right now.

The new player guide is another example, but just as with the 100K it might be symbolic and clean enough to warrant mentioning it. I ll try.

next version:

"I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game.

This game has free PvE (RPG meets TCG) content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and ingame currency at a decent rate. Thus allowing you to try everything in the game for free before deciding to spend money. You can also play the auction house and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough.

This depends a lot on what you want to focus on. You can enjoy the majority of the games content by grinding and trading your way to what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the US$ 100 000 invitational, a big collection will be a long-term advantage that can cost you hundreds of dollars.

HEX and MtG have many similarities and differences. Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature for a lot of innovation, has growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into.

Yes. It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments.

5.)Can I trust the publisher?
The developers are designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times that are worth it in the end.

This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and than leaves you hollow. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with very flexible time commitment. If you are new to the genre, this is the best game to try for yourself and if you are a TCG veteran you will find almost everything you ever wanted or find out that its coming soon.

7.)In this TCG you can buy some power, but you can't buy wins. No amount of money or skill will get you over 80% win-rate. Between money, luck and skill, skill is the most impact-full factor for success."

Super unhappy with the length obviously right now, just trying to get all the content
in so I can start cutting away and rephrasing.

This version still misses a good "this takes forever to master" I ll add that while trimming down on length further down.

ShadowRealm
04-11-2016, 01:07 AM
If it's OK with you, once the comment is polished and in addition to up-vote it from my Steam account, I'll translate it into French to give this big players community another good reason to join ;)

Gregangel
04-11-2016, 01:21 AM
If it's OK with you, once the comment is polished and in addition to up-vote it from my Steam account, I'll translate it into French to give this big players community another good reason to join ;)

I don't think it is wise to translate a user's comment

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 01:24 AM
Absolutely =), but I would suggest paraphrasing it just enough. I don't know if steam approves such copies. I personally don't mind, but since its nothing official it might violate their terms.

Antfunk
04-11-2016, 01:35 AM
There is a lot of good things about doing this. However I did come across a review though that slated this type of behaviour rigging reviews and copying etc so that is something to be wary of. I am sure people can come up with their own spin on promoting the game :).

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 01:42 AM
Aye, there is definitely a line here. Which is why I make sure that nothing I write goes against my opinion. The final comment will just be a very refined version of what I believe to be true about the game, with the community providing the inspiration and corrections for all types of content and presentation.

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 02:03 AM
EDIT: Sorry for the double post, realized this too late. Feel free to merge this post with the one above if a Mod reads this.

So I think its time to start cutting down on my rewrite above. I ll do it here so people can read the "original" long version above. I m pretty happy with the content, it just needs to be a lot slimmer if possible.

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game:

This game has free PvE (RPG meets TCG) content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and ingame currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough.

You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading your way to what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the 100 000$ invitational, a big collection will be a long-term advantage that can cost you hundreds of dollars.

5.)Can I trust the developer?

Cutting point 7 seems what most suggested anyways and the skill can be addresses somewhere else.

editing still in process...

Trying a quick TLDR version so I can compare.

TLDR:
1.)What is Free to Play in this game? Many hours PvE
2.)So how much do I end up paying in the end? 0-1000+$
3.)Is this like Magic: The Gathering? Same concept, different strengths
5.)Can I trust the developer? He doesn't need money and builds his dream game... yes!

Gregangel
04-11-2016, 02:13 AM
Aye, there is definitely a line here. Which is why I make sure that nothing I write goes against my opinion. The final comment will just be a very refined version of what I believe to be true about the game, with the community providing the inspiration and corrections for all types of content and presentation.

And the goal need to be repeat.
The goal is not to copying your comment but to give it lots of thumbs-up

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 02:21 AM
Yes, if I didn't make that clear enough my bad, I ll change my original post.
One translation into a different language as totally fine if done well.
But copying this content doesn't do much ...
the main goal is to make this comment the first one that everyone on steam reads.

EDIT: Question. What do you guys think of including the TLDR answer behind every question and pointing it out in the first introduction?

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game. TLDR answer after every question!

1.)What is Free to Play in this game? Many hours of PvE.
PvE is RPG meets TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and ingame currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough.

2.)So how much do I end up paying in the end? From 0 to $1000 and beyond.
You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading your way to what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the $100k invitational, a big collection will be a long-term advantage. A collection can cost you a lot, but will grow more valuable over time.

3.)Is this like Magic: The Gathering? Similar concept with different strengths.
Which you prefer depends on your priorities. HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature for a lot of innovation, has growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into, but its not as vast as MtG yet.

It's easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments.

The company is designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times, but they are worth it in the end.

This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and then leaves you hollow. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with very flexible time commitment. You wont regret giving this a try.

In theory I m not a friend of this because it is ugly, makes it longer in total and has some double content. But I dislike TLDR at the end of comments even more, because you are usually already done with the comment or didnt read it in the first place. And TLDR before the comment makes most people skip the comment.
Probably should just ignore this, but wanted to see how it looks first.
Its tempting because it would allow the entire comment to be much longer.
Telling people in the first 3 sentences that there exists a TLDR answer will make everyone quickly go through it I think ... but its still ugly.

While cutting I realized how I can incorporate the TLDR answer into the longer one.
That way its pretty elegant and not even longer. Seems very much worth it to me.

Timlagor
04-11-2016, 02:40 AM
If being a streamer is relevant maybe tell people where to find you

2) $ symbol should come before numbers. US$ probably isn't needed here. I would use $100k rather than all those 0s. I don't think anyone will have trouble understanding that. "cost you hundreds of dollars but should retain that value"

3) You could cut the second sentence completely ("what you prefer depends on your priorities")

6) Typo "than" -> "then"

"I have stopped playing MtG in favour of this, not having time to commit to both" may well be worth you saying (I believe you said it on your stream). I'm not sure how dedicated to MtG you were but there might be something to say there.. perhaps replacing the first sentence with something like that.

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Ah yes, I knew there was a way to type it better. $100K is perfect thx.
Already cut the "what you prefer" I agree with you.
Thx for the typo clarification.

Yeah but again I don't want to open the MtG VS Hex debate if possible.
I was invested in magics with thousands of € before I switched, so yeah I made a big jump to HEX.

And I think saying that I m a streamer gives it some nice credibility,
but telling them where to find me just is selfish and promotional. So I ll avoid that I think.

Timlagor
04-11-2016, 02:48 AM
Addressing TLDR points.

Insert first line: TLDR: It's great!

"TLDR after every question": I'd cut this as superfluous.

2) "From $0 to $1000 and beyond"

3) "Similar but distinct"

4) Yes
TLDR? why use 5 words when one will do?

5) Yes! He doesn't need money....
Just put the important bit first

I'm not sure if you can use formatting in Steam but Using Bold for the Questions and maybe underlining the TLDR answers could be a good idea. Colours would be even better

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 02:52 AM
I think the first TLDR after every question is the most important one.

Steam makes your comment smaller so you only see the top unless you click "read more".
So its super important for me to convey that this wall of text can be reduced to the TLDR answers.

And yes you can format steam answer a bit. So I will put questions italic and TLDR Bold.

I ve spent a lot of hours on this now and am pretty happy even though I d
still like to iterate a lot. I ll have to do some other work this week but I ll
check for additional feedback and see if I can have one or two more big
sessions of iteration before the hopefully soon steam launch.

Gregangel
04-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Nice f2p guide by Dino, on steam page !

fido_one
04-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Nice f2p guide by Dino, on steam page !

Yeah, really well written. Perfect tone, perfect way to approach the subject.

hitchslap88
04-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Some grammar fixes and suggested improvements. (Btw, I majored in English and work in education, so you can trust that these are good/correct.):

I am a streamer who has played TCGs for over 10 years including MtG, Hearthstone and HEX since alpha. Here's what you need to know about this game: [Along with a TLDR answer for each question]

PvE is RPG-meets-TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and in-game currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house, and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough.

You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading for what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the $100k invitational, a large collection will be a long-term advantage. It may cost you a lot, but it will gain value over time.

3.) Is this like Magic: The Gathering? [Similar concept with different strengths]
Which you prefer depends on your preferences. HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into, but it's not as vast as MtG yet.

The company is designing their own dream game. That is why this is a AAA quality game, despite coming from a still growing Indie studio. This sustainable perfectionism can lead to longer wait times, but they are worth it in the end.

This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and then leaves you wanting. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with very flexible time commitment. You wont regret giving this a try.

PS: It took willpower not to add Oxford Commas :)

fido_one
04-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Some grammar fixes and suggested improvements. (Btw, I majored in English and work in education, so you can trust that these are good/correct.):

PvE is RPG-meets-TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and in-game currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house, and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough.

You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading for what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the $100k invitational, a large collection will be a long-term advantage. It may cost you a lot, but it will gain value over time.

Which you prefer depends on your preferences. HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into, but it's not as vast as MtG yet.

This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and then leaves you wanting. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with very flexible time commitment. You wont regret giving this a try.

PS: It took willpower not to add Oxford Commas :)

On the subject of 1), we don't need to remove that point, but we should also be upvoting the 'What is F2P in HEX?' guide posted by Darkfall, written by Dinotropia and/or linking that guide into this post.

Largashbur
04-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm still missing a hint on the large complexity and long-term-value of joining this game. Plus I would like to emphasize that trading cards BETWEEN PLAYERS is a large part of the game (most ppl coming from CCGs won't expect that)

NaryaDL0re
04-11-2016, 05:46 PM
I did mention both those points, but I will think about ways to emphasize them.

Thx again hitch for your input, very informative and educational for me.
But isnt "which your prefer depends on your preference" lame double prefer?

Can someone link me the dino guide? cant find it on steam right now?
EDIT: Never mind found it.

Thx to Hitch this is the new version (including a link to Dinos guide)

PvE is RPG-meets-TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game and farm cards and in-game currency at a decent rate. You can also play the auction house, and tournaments will start paying for themselves once you are good enough. Check this great guide for more in depth information on F2P in HEX: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=663434222

icecon
04-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Looking pretty good. You'll have my upvote.

CoS
04-11-2016, 06:29 PM
I'll up vote this with my steam account!

knightofeffect
04-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Wow this is really great, up-vote obv. I do like the idea of emphasizing player trading and AH a little more as a major differentiating feature.

Here is my quick take on it:

PvE is RPG-meets-TCG content that allows you to have fun, learn the game, farm cards, equipment, items and in-game currency. There are several ways to build your collection: the auction house, simply trade with other players, collect-on-delivery mail, and strong tournament prize support for constant-queue limited and scheduled events. With a fully player-driven economy supported by the auction house, the time/effort:money ratio is up to you!
Check this great guide for more in depth information on F2P in HEX: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=663434222

hitchslap88
04-11-2016, 10:23 PM

Changing it to, "Which you'd like more depends upon your preferences" works as well.

In case you're curious, the reason 'preference' is better than 'priority' is because a preference is something that you like more than an alternative, whereas a priority is something you think is more important. It's pretty close in this case, but I'd say that the items in the list that follows are more preferred than prioritized.

Also, the change from 'big' to 'large' before 'collection' is because you usually use 'big' to describe the size or stature of things while you use 'large' to describe the fact that there are many of them. For example, you'd say, 'those are some big lions', but you wouldn't say, 'there are a big amount of lions over there.' 'There are a large amount of lions over there' is correct.

Anyway, I think the post is ready to go! Good job!

NaryaDL0re
04-12-2016, 01:57 AM
@Hitchslap88
Interesting, really appreciate the input.
I always used priorities in a very broad philosophical kind of way, especially in German. So every decision basically hinges on your priorities (in life). But I get what your saying concerning the different points, interesting small alteration.

You did give me a change but didn't comment of whether using prefer twice is actually bad form?

@Everyone
Thx for your kind / helpful comments, hopefully this post does help to prepare some people on what to expect when they start their HEX journey. Soon this game is gonna have its time in the spotlight and I wanna do all I can to make sure its a pop-culture changing success.

(I think mentioning the auction house and linking to dinos guide should suffice, since everyone interested enough will probably check his guide out anyway where there is more space and the AH gets explained as well.)

And big / large is just nice info where I lack everyday experience inside the English language.

ossuary
04-12-2016, 04:24 AM
I think this comment needs to get posted soon, it's getting kind of messy over there already. :)

Salverus
04-12-2016, 05:17 AM
its a steam review, not a steam forum topic. Cant post reviews yet if we cant download the game yet.

Timlagor
04-12-2016, 06:31 AM
3)

Very clunky -and not worth rewording imo, just cut it (trying to be concise after all). I think you're trying to say something like "they are both good enough that people can reasonably prefer either one" but I wouldn't.

This is also the place to mention that you can't play Hex FtF with real cards (so if that physically social aspect is important, Magic is the better game to invest in).

hitchslap88
04-12-2016, 06:52 AM
3)

Very clunky -and not worth rewording imo, just cut it (trying to be concise after all). I think you're trying to say something like "they are both good enough that people can reasonably prefer either one" but I wouldn't.

This is also the place to mention that you can't play Hex FtF with real cards (so if that physically social aspect is important, Magic is the better game to invest in).

I agree with this. I'd get rid of the first sentence and add "and lacks its face-to-face social interaction." after "...MtG yet".

NaryaDL0re
04-12-2016, 09:52 AM
I agree, done. (the sentence became less relevant with the TLDR answer as well)

bootlace
04-12-2016, 10:00 AM
This is a great initiative and I don't have much to add but I think this part [From $0 to $1,000 and beyond] can scare some people away. I mean sure there is a small percentage of players that spend over $1000 but I think it's really a case of being way more honest than you need to be here towards newbies/beginners who aren't likely to spend that much anyways. For people who don't know how TCGs work +$1000 might sound like a cash-grab game only for whales that you want no part of. I think [From 0 to 100s of dollars] is equally true but maybe a more relevant range.

Gregangel
04-12-2016, 11:10 AM
This is a great initiative and I don't have much to add but I think this part [From $0 to $1,000 and beyond] can scare some people away. I mean sure there is a small percentage of players that spend over $1000 but I think it's really a case of being way more honest than you need to be here towards newbies/beginners who aren't likely to spend that much anyways. For people who don't know how TCGs work +$1000 might sound like a cash-grab game only for whales that you want no part of. I think [From 0 to 100s of dollars] is equally true but maybe a more relevant range.

Agree with that

dogmod
04-12-2016, 04:07 PM
I think the question may be more appropriately worded as "How much money do I need to pay to be competitive?" At that point you can honestly say 0 to hundreds of dollars and comment on grinding versus saving time and buying a competitive tier 1 deck. I think that is the question people will be more interested in. As in "is this game P2W?"

Yoss
04-12-2016, 05:54 PM
To follow dogmod's comment:

Currently in the OP:

Consider a change to:

2.) So how much do I end up paying in the end...
2a.) ...if I just want to play casually? [$0, maybe a few $]
You can enjoy the majority of the game for free by grinding and trading for what you need. All PvE content is free to play. Some PvP is free to play. Money spending at this level is only if you feel like it, definitely not required.
2b.) ...if I want to compete at the highest level? [$0 to $50 or more]
It is possible to grind F2P and earn your way up (I personally know some who've done it), but it won't be easy. There is no "pay to win" barrier, but to be competitive in the big prize tournaments, in addition to being skilled at the game, you will need to build the best deck from all the available cards, and those cards may not be cheap on the Auction House. However, cards in Hex are tradeable (worth real money!), so once you're "bought in" your cards can be traded over time to continually evolve your deck with the metagame, and if you do extremely well you may even be able to turn a profit!

wolzarg
04-12-2016, 06:01 PM
I agree with yoss

NaryaDL0re
04-13-2016, 02:14 AM
I want to preserve a couple of things right now with my phrase.
The length, the advertisement of "you can do the majority for free", and the "oh shit I can spent a lot".

I realize that the big number will intimidate some people. But thats actually part of its job.
Saying 300+ seems far too low to me (50 even more so) because thats basically 4 reese 4 vk ...
Getting the most out of the current constructed already costs far more than 1000+ and will be much more
with set 4/5/6 ... (I assume full 6 set HEX format will cost around 2000-4000 to have reasonable access to)

So I share your feelings about not wanting to "lose" players by sounding too expensive, but the
entire idea of this post has been about making sure they realize that this game can be super cheap
and super expensive.

I do like some phrases in your post Yoss and will see if I want to incorporate them.
But in general I wont change the "big intimidating" number.

Thx of course anyways for sharing your sentiment everyone

EDIT:

In case the reason for what I stated here isn't clear.
The post wants to prevent people from feeling emotionally scammed / cheated when they
So loosing a few potential players that are intimidated by this big number, despite my
relativization, is ok. As long as this post prepares everyone reading it enough for HEX.

One more important thing.

This is NOT supposed to be advertisement for HEX as a game.
Obviously it ends up being that, because my neutral opinion about the game is awesome.
And there are a lot of nice features that I talk about.

But this reviews primary purpose is setting expectations straight !

Now if HEX Ent. came to me and told me that its less than 1% of active players you have
payed more than $300 ... than I might iterate that number down to 200-300.
But I would also be completely amazed. And by active I mean more than 150 hours played
recently.

Gregangel
04-13-2016, 02:33 AM
Instead of being so specific with number why not a thing like this (in bad english maybe) :$0 to a price you think is reasonable for your purse, the sky is the limit.
If after that you emphase that skill is the key factor of sucess

One point : it s not quit realistic to think today new players have to grab powerful and expensive cards from set 1 and 2. They need to know these cards will be out of reach for 95 % if the players. But that's really does not matter thanks to meta shifting with new sets and set rotation ahead.
If they have not led to think that way, then false p2w impression enter the place

Timlagor
04-13-2016, 02:42 AM
You might also want to mention the shinies.
AA EA Sleeves Promos will all be very attractive to some and a relief not to need to spend on to others.

Largashbur
04-13-2016, 02:47 AM
You might also want to mention the shinies.
AA EA Sleeves Promos will all be very attractive to some and a relief not to need to spend on to others.

This is what I also feel is important: That some of the major incentives to spend money are optical and do not influence gameplay (e.g. TF2 hats).

Voormas
04-13-2016, 03:45 AM
I think trying to craft some ideal review is kinda dumb / pointless - like if this thread was about people posting the kind of review they would leave once they have the opportunity to do so and others could give constructive feedback on those that might be useful but trying to min-max pseudo-marketing stuff is creepy

Just leave honest reviews

NaryaDL0re
04-13-2016, 04:22 AM
But this is exactly what you said voormas =). It is my review how I would leave it, and others peoples take on what they would change if it was their own.

I just use the feedback that I agree with to forge the version I m happiest with myself. Its no real pseude marketing stuff in the end. Its just the nature of my own review that I care about that impression.

The "shinie" AA etc stuff is interesting but a little clunky. (and I didnt even count that in in all that money tbh) Its also not that important to me because again my review is not necessarily designed to draw people in.

I understand the sentiment that it might feel good to hear that you can spend a lot on cosmetic stuff ... but the 1000 was without that in mind. Also set 1-2-3 will be important for at least 1 more year. We already heard from cory that a "rotation" will happen at Set 7 at the earliest.

So I agree that it is interesting to tell people about cosmetics. But in that case the number would be $0-$10 000. (And just in case anyone thinks that number is stupid. right now if you have every card in the game 4 times, ignoring extending them which is super expensive, ignoring mercenaries or sleeves, your account will be worth more than $6000. That is without set 4-5-6. And again that is WITHOUT most of the shinies! (except AA))

So my $1000+ is already far away from "whale" status in this game. Its just "I m serious about long term pvp" status. Or if that sounds too elitist because you can in theory win a bunch of tournaments without such a big investment: "I want to maximize my long term pvp chances"

EDIT: I like the "sky is the limit" instead of a fixed number feedback. I ll consider it and see if I find a version that works. I want to make sure people realize how expensive pvp is in the end over the long term.

And for those that try to argue how you can play for a long time without too much investment. Normal AAA games cost 40-60 bucks ... and you play them for 30-1000+ hours. You can play chess and similar sports for a lifetime without bigger investments.

TCGs are the Golf of gaming ... and even tough hex does a great job of allowing people a very cheap entrance into the genre. It doesn't change the fact that you can maximize your fun and chances by paying thousands of dollars in TCGs.

EDIT2: Just went through the math real quick one more time. All legendaries 4 times from set 1/2/3 are about 1000€, all rares add another ~1000€.

So lets say you are just interested in maximizing the top decks, not trying to complete a collection
and you are careful when you buy in AH etc.
Once set 4 hits, you will still have to spent a minimum of 500+ to gain access to all the top decks. Most likely more. And that is the absolute minimum if you have to buy them from scratch.

This is all based on my collection and hextcg.browser so it fluctuates, but the rough sizes are correct

All of that is without tournament buy-ins. Without playing ANY limited. And without losing money while learning to play the game. You wont just start this game and make a profit in tournaments after a couple of weeks, unless your background is TCG heavy, you are super lucky or a genius.

So one reason why I don't want to pamper people that read the review is... I believe its a lie.
If you want to commit to TCGs in the long run, you should be mentally prepared to either spend a great deal of money during the learning process and once you take it seriously. Or be aware that you will spent hundreds of hours grinding pve.

That sounds harsh... because it is harsh. TCGs are worth this investment.
But I wont pretend that HEX is a magical Christmas land that gives you all the long term awesomeness depth, content, competition, money winning opportunities, collection building, etc etc ... for free.

Because that is simply not the case.

EDIT3: I changed some small lines here to address the future investment of money.

You can enjoy the majority of the game by grinding and trading for what you need. But if you want to compete at the highest level of tournaments, like the $100k invitational, a large collection will be a long-term advantage. It may cost you a lot, but it will gain value over time and can be resold!

HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into, but it's not as vast as MtG yet and lacks its face-to-face social interaction.

This is not an instant gratification game that presses your reward center a couple of times and then leaves you wanting. TCGs are one of the most rewarding genres you can get into, allowing you to grow your skill and collection over decades with flexible time and money commitment. You wont regret giving this a try.

I think the "resold" is really important and what many people meant with the AH and other economic points. It should alleviate a lot of pressure from the big $1000+ number, since you dont just burn your money, you can also cash out in some ways. And I like adding that your time and money commitment are flexible in my final words.

strawwmann
04-13-2016, 07:58 AM
I think trying to craft some ideal review is kinda dumb / pointless - like if this thread was about people posting the kind of review they would leave once they have the opportunity to do so and others could give constructive feedback on those that might be useful but trying to min-max pseudo-marketing stuff is creepy

Just leave honest reviews

100% agreed.

You can be guaranteed someone is going to find this thread & link to it as evidence that the existing Hex community is manipulating reviews and ratings on Steam (and Metacritic etc.) to shore up their investment in the game.
This game has enough red flags to entice negative reviews on Steam already, it hardly needs another (and I've seen other games on Steam where the community has responded very negatively when existing players with a vested interest have tried to spam Steam with positive reviews and up-votes).

Just share your views honestly - it's free to try and anyone who is vaguely interested will make up their own mind.

According to one report on the Wikipaeda entry on Free-to-play games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play), 50% of the revenue comes from the top 0.15% of paying players.
Far rather a large number of Steam players try the game, even if many inevitably leave negative reviews & move on, so that those who it really apeals to find it, stay on and pay.

NaryaDL0re
04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
And again, if any of this was biased or "staged" I would agree. But in the end its just my comment with help from others =). No one should upvote this comment artificially if they dont agree with it.

Tazelbain
04-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Given the high likely hood that people are going to download Hex with a boatload of expectations from Hearthstone and other F2P games, a good review that lets people know what Hex is and is not will set better expectations and (hopefully) have a better experience.

starwing
04-14-2016, 03:22 AM
I think it's important that Steam players be made aware of the differences between HEX and Magic the Gathering Online, as well as the Magic [year] Duels of the Planeswalkers. The Magic [year] series appeals to a lot of Steam players* who want to play a TCG and don't have anyone to play with--they usually have experience with MtG in person, so they gravitate toward the MtG online offerings. I even purchased one of those pathetic games while I was waiting for the open beta for HEX :rolleyes:

*according to my Friends list on Steam and what they purchase and/or add to their wishlists

Magic [year] is not free to play, it does contain paid content and you might need to beat the game to unlock the content you did pay for. There was no trading or auction house either. The UI, effects, animations... everything was completely subpar and people still buy that because they want something more advanced than Hearthstone...

Pezzle
04-14-2016, 05:19 AM
I really do not think you want to mention RPG at all. It was a mistake for Dino to mention RPG talent trees. They are just talent trees. Putting free to play and rpg anywhere near each other is going to conjure a very different idea in peoples minds. Say something about it having single player activities to gain more cards and rewards. You can (with enough effort) never pay a dime

Why is there no simple What is Hex statement? Hex is a 100% digital tcg. You have a collection (which you can trade), you can play in head to head matches, drafts etc. This might be stated elsewhere, but you want to repeat it in any review.

Point 5 should go entirely. None of that is a compelling reason to give trust. Passionate devs fail to deliver in gaming all the time. Steam users are going to know that. Your own opinions on the matter may be strong, but bringing up trust at all makes it questionable.

Quantius
04-14-2016, 05:38 AM
I'll just chime in to say that I personally ignore any review that sounds too manufactured. I know companies have paid reviewers and when a review sounds like it may be a marketing piece rather than from a consumer of that product, I just move on and look for something more human sounding.

Sixlooter
04-14-2016, 06:35 AM
I'll just chime in to say that I personally ignore any review that sounds too manufactured. I know companies have paid reviewers and when a review sounds like it may be a marketing piece rather than from a consumer of that product, I just move on and look for something more human sounding.

Hm I have to agree with this. For me Amazon is the best example here.
I like differenciated posts the most. With detailed positive and negative aspects and a final conclusion and rating.
Also comparisons to other products.

NaryaDL0re
04-14-2016, 09:21 AM
That is why I try to be as much "my self" as possible in this.
Its not biased towards positiveness with the sole exception that I leave out
the communication problems of the last years. That is a gamble of myself because
I m confident that those problems will not remain forever.

Most points also just state options rather than judge whether or not they are good / bad.

@Pezzle please explain why you want to take the RPG away from PvE talent trees. Whats your reasoning behind it?

Also I am curious what you think "is" a compelling reason to give trust.
Trust usually refers to competence and good will when used in a professional environment.
(I trust my Dentist, he is capable and empathetic towards fear and pain)
Designing your own game takes care of empathy... you are committed to your own happiness.
And taking extra long is a weakness, but delivering high quality constantly because of it
is a sign of competence.
In my eyes those 2 sentences cover the 2 most important aspects of trust in a company.
Self-investment and skill.

Obviously the judgement "that the content is worth the wait" is my own opinion.
But that is the entire point. The review is my observation and judgement on some
of the most important topics of the game.

@Quantius I do the same. But please point out what you think doesn't sound "human".
Where in my above proposed review do I sound "corporate"? Because it certainly is just
my experience in the game, written in a concise way.

@Sixlooter I share that sentiment.
But this review of mine has 1 high priority: Set some dangerous expectations straight.
Its not primarily supposed to advertise or rate the game against its competition.
If I was writing a review that is all about "Should you play this game?", it would look
completely different. With a long explanation about tcgs, and many examples inside
the game, and comparisons to all other high level Tcgs on the market!

But this is designed to clear up some otherwise misleading points and mention some
less obvious ones that others might miss. Its not a complete list of bullet points
that are in favor or against the game.

@All
I d really like to read a good "Should I play Hex instead of other TCGs and why?" review.
I don't want to write a second one, and this is certainly not intended to be that kind of review.
But I'd love to see someone capable like Hitch whip up a great general comparison of
the currently available alternatives and a comprehensive explanation of Hexs' strengths
and weaknesses.

nicosharp
04-14-2016, 09:53 AM
What you paying Narya? :rolleyes:

Gregangel
04-14-2016, 10:29 AM
The solo part of the gme is a RPG. Keep it

nicosharp
04-14-2016, 10:45 AM
My interpretation of a quick and dirty 'comprehensive', yet short review for HEX:

HEX - The best digital TCG you will ever play.

Why?

Player-to-Player trade for all items in the game, with easy ways to sell cards third party.
This alone makes it better than games like Hearthstone, Faeria, Duelyst, etc. where you are locked to cards you own. Being able to build assets for the time you invest in the game makes this game one of the best values for your luxury time.

PvE!!!!!!!!!! and endless deck building possibilities through equipment!
The AI for HEX is awesome, and keeps getting better. The RPG elements and leveling system offer a lot of variety, and deck building options with PvE exclusive cards and equipment will offer endless replayability! The content release plan is said to have 7 years of content currently played, with 2-3 anticipated large PvE content and progression patches per year. The experience is extremely unique for a TCG, and will eventually have co-op MMO style modes added.

PvP is outstanding and the constructed and limited format scene are developing nicely with each new set.
There is a draft format, sealed format, and constructed format where packs are rewarded as prizes. Including some free community tournaments as well, where packs and plat are rewarded as prizes. Unlike other popular card games now, part of the cost of limited formats, like draft and sealed, is in the packs, which you keep all contents of after the tournament. The constructed format has a rich meta that has evolved with time, and will get better with each set release.

Marketing Model knowledge is an important step to appreciating the value HEX provides.
Whether it be Primal Packs(and you will love these babies), Chase cards, Exclusive events, Hitting an amazing chest spin, or trading your gold for plat to remain a free-to-play player, there are a ton of intricate pieces that tie into the Marketing Model for HEX, that really reward you for your understanding. At the end of the day, 1 simple rule applies - Time = Money, but if you put in a little bit of Money to jump-start your experience, it can save you a ton of time grinding early on. If you want to be a virtually free-to-play player, with it comes an understanding to build a strong PvE deck, and having the time to farm gold, and then convert gold and cards on the AH to continue playing all modes for free. F2P is definitely something that can be done, and the better understanding you have, and the more time-invested, the easier it will be for you, as a player, to casually drop 1400 plat in a day to play paid limited tournaments, and convert those rewards.

Future Development, and other bells and whistles.
There are a lot more formats, PvE content, RPG experience, MMO experience, cards, equipment, exclusive events to come. This game is seriously a black-hole of replayability, and for that, I both love it and hate it, as it's hard for me to put the same value into other games, and I find myself spending more and more time playing HEX for both the value and fun experimenting with endless options.

What are we up against? - Genre competition - Scope?
Do we only compare to card games here, or do we compare to RPG's and MMO's as well? It might be a little early to compare to MMO's given the lack of MMO content that is tangible. For that, let me bucket some games below:
Faeria / Hearthstone / Duelyst / Duel of Champions - Fast and fun games, but all CCG's - you can't trade, and they have poor AI and poor PvE modes. 100% limited to cards for customization. Dumb-downed mechanics.
Magic the gathering - This is grandpa's TCG, that refuses to iterate for the digital age. The digital nature of HEX is constantly being pushed, with permanent buffs, and sockets, etc. Things MTG never could do. The price point is twice as much, and the your time does not feel as valued. Their PvE titles leave a lot to be desired, and they don't have a cool equipment system.

Play HEX! You won't regret it.

hitchslap88
04-14-2016, 10:54 AM
What you paying Narya? :rolleyes:

Compliments, apparently :) I'll see what I can come up with, Narya.

Also, what Quantius is referring to are statements like, "HEX has a great online experience, uses its digital nature to innovate, has a growing RPG PvE and is easier/cheaper to get into..." and "[the community is] easily among the most helpful and generous I've encountered, and the streamers are fantastic. The official forums and fan-sites are informative and active with guides and great tournaments." These statements have a level of polish and density that suggest that they've been crafted carefully and edited as opposed to the on-the-fly tone of most reviews. Unfortunately, we can't cut them down without losing a lot of the information we've tried to pack into the review. There is no perfect review that fits everyone's taste, however, so ours is good in its way. I think we can keep everything the way it is.

hitchslap88
04-14-2016, 11:02 AM
My interpretation of a quick and dirty 'comprehensive', yet short review for HEX:

HEX - The best digital TCG you will ever play.

Why?

Player-to-Player trade for all items in the game, with easy ways to sell cards third party.
This alone makes it better than games like Hearthstone, Faeria, Duelyst, etc. where you are locked to cards you own. Being able to build assets for the time you invest in the game makes this game one of the best values for your luxury time.

PvE!!!!!!!!!! and endless deck building possibilities through equipment!
The AI for HEX is awesome, and keeps getting better. The RPG elements and leveling system offer a lot of variety, and deck building options with PvE exclusive cards and equipment will offer endless replayability! The content release plan is said to have 7 years of content currently played, with 2-3 anticipated large PvE content and progression patches per year. The experience is extremely unique for a TCG, and will eventually have co-op MMO style modes added.

PvP is outstanding and the constructed and limited format scene are developing nicely with each new set.
There is a draft format, sealed format, and constructed format where packs are rewarded as prizes. Including some free community tournaments as well, where packs and plat are rewarded as prizes. Unlike other popular card games now, part of the cost of limited formats, like draft and sealed, is in the packs, which you keep all contents of after the tournament. The constructed format has a rich meta that has evolved with time, and will get better with each set release.

Marketing Model knowledge is an important step to appreciating the value HEX provides.
Whether it be Primal Packs(and you will love these babies), Chase cards, Exclusive events, Hitting an amazing chest spin, or trading your gold for plat to remain a free-to-play player, there are a ton of intricate pieces that tie into the Marketing Model for HEX, that really reward you for your understanding. At the end of the day, 1 simple rule applies - Time = Money, but if you put in a little bit of Money to jump-start your experience, it can save you a ton of time grinding early on. If you want to be a virtually free-to-play player, with it comes an understanding to build a strong PvE deck, and having the time to farm gold, and then convert gold and cards on the AH to continue playing all modes for free. F2P is definitely something that can be done, and the better understanding you have, and the more time-invested, the easier it will be for you, as a player, to casually drop 1400 plat in a day to play paid limited tournaments, and convert those rewards.

Future Development, and other bells and whistles.
There are a lot more formats, PvE content, RPG experience, MMO experience, cards, equipment, exclusive events to come. This game is seriously a black-hole of replayability, and for that, I both love it and hate it, as it's hard for me to put the same value into other games, and I find myself spending more and more time playing HEX for both the value and fun experimenting with endless options.

What are we up against? - Genre competition - Scope?
Do we only compare to card games here, or do we compare to RPG's and MMO's as well? It might be a little early to compare to MMO's given the lack of MMO content that is tangible. For that, let me bucket some games below:
Faeria / Hearthstone / Duelyst / Duel of Champions - Fast and fun games, but all CCG's - you can't trade, and they have poor AI and poor PvE modes. 100% limited to cards for customization. Dumb-downed mechanics.
Magic the gathering - This is grandpa's TCG, that refuses to iterate for the digital age. The digital nature of HEX is constantly being pushed, with permanent buffs, and sockets, etc. Things MTG never could do. The price point is twice as much, and the your time does not feel as valued. Their PvE titles leave a lot to be desired, and they don't have a cool equipment system.

Play HEX! You won't regret it.

Might as well post this in Steam too :) I wonder how many potential players will have already researched the game's features before they read the comments. Comments are usually the second thing I read after the game's description, so it may be that all of the feature highlighting and explanation is valuable. At the same time, once I have a good understanding of what the game is I look for a review that is purely opinionated.

Quantius
04-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Okay, so imo:

It kinda reads like an FAQ rather than a review. This might be due to the format (numbered list). I think you need more 'show, don't tell' in here; you make statements about the game without really showing how those things impact you as a player of the game. Instead of saying that PvE is a thing, talk about your experience in PvE while hitting the main points.

For example, here's how I would talk about my own experience in the campaign:
HEX is putting together a really unique PvE experience for CCG's, and the first zone was recently released. I chose a human mage as my first character because it matched the playstyle I wanted (each class has its own abilities and talents which allow you to customize your character). The mage lets you have a bigger starting hand and gives you some innate spells that you can activate when you have enough spellpoints, but you get this at the trade off for having a small health pool (aka you're squishy).

While I have been playing since the start and have a pretty big collection of cards, new players get 200 cards to start and many veteran members put together this handy guide for getting started [linky]. There's a variety of encounters, some easy, some hard, some hair-pulling, but that's part of the fun, figuring out how to overcome various challenges and creating fun decks to do it with. I've made some alts since then and have spent a bunch of time in the Frost Ring Arena which houses it's own set of challenges in a gauntlet style progression that awards gold and cards.

From there you can use some of that gold or sell some cards on the auction house to get into PvP. You can do all this for free, but if you enjoy the game and want to support it, you can start filling out your collection using the store. Of course it's a TCG so the most competitive decks often have some hard to get/expensive cards. You can still get them for free by playing if you have the time to dedicate to it.

and so on and so forth.

Stuff like, "Can I trust the developer?" That's a really weird question/answer in and of itself. It's one of those, "if you have to ask, the answer is no." type of questions. If you're aiming this at new players, they haven't been waiting 9 months for set 4, they don't have the history that we have so there's no point of reference to tell them about perfectionism and long wait times. As far as we know, this steam launch might be the last biggie and all systems will be in place to churn out content at the expected rate. Basically, you're creating bias where there otherwise wouldn't be any. A new player is a blank slate, to them there is no delay, everything is new and the game has just released (it's only been out of beta a little while). Those of us complaining right now (like me) are just whiners who want more toys. Let the new players enjoy all the existing shinies. If set 5 takes a year to come out, then they're welcome to join Filking Squad.

Really think about yourself as a player, not as a source of information. Talk about the things that make you smile while playing HEX, you don't need to hit a litany of points, people will piece together a picture of what to expect from multiple points of view. And they'll watch videos, read FAQ's on the HEX store page anyway. What you can provide is what's fun. If you love deckbuilding, talk about deckbuilding and the kinds of things it offers, how equipment can drastically change how a card functions and offer all new deck ideas.

If I'm reading player reviews, I want to know what makes the game great for them. That way I can identify if I share in those interests. I can read a feature list and get factual information anywhere. Read your review again. What sounds fun about the game? All I know is that it has a great community, but I have to take your word for it. Show us a time that it had a great community for you. "I was doing xyz and then abc happened and people were all like yoloswag! and it was awesome."

Anyway, that's my input, don't take anything as an intent to insult, I absolutely have no such goal in mind.

NaryaDL0re
04-14-2016, 12:03 PM
I had a long day and will come back to this tomorrow. Quick responses:

@Hitch, looking forward and yeah I got his general drive, but polish doesn't equate corporate.

@Nico I like your take, though it really sounds mono positive =), I had a more pro/con in mind.

@Quantius Its supposed to be more of an FAQ type review =). I fully understand what you desire from
a review and know that a lot of people do. However this was specifically not designed to be
full of examples. Putting my 10 years of TCG into examples would cover books...
Its supposed to be a very abstract and aggregated opinion on some important topics.

I realize that I can't provide "prove", reasoning or examples if I want to talk about so many
deep topics without writing many paragraphs. So all I have is decent phrasing and the
introduction of 10 Years experience in the genre.
Everyone reading that review has to decide for themselves whether I appear as a somewhat
credible source or not =).

(I might also be slightly biased since I personally prefer such reviews and trust
them more if they are concise and generic, rather than full of examples.)

Shaqattaq
04-14-2016, 12:12 PM
HEX will launch on Steam Tuesday, April 19th.

https://www.hextcg.com/steam-powered/

hammer
04-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Cory Video Hype :)

superdax
04-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Any expected downtime for the launch?

hammer
04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
The recent stealth patch to return the draft timer to middle has broken the ability to sort cards in draft !! this needs to be fixed asap and before steam launch...

Also interesting on gameforge site "In future, we will also be offering bundles that comprise of booster packs and some pretty neat surprises."

CoS
04-14-2016, 01:34 PM
I thought all that would be sold was boosters and plat?

Salverus
04-14-2016, 01:38 PM
they sold some AA cards in the past too (for gold). I see no problem with repeating such a thing again in the future.

Yoss
04-14-2016, 01:40 PM
I like the nico review very much as a totally different spin on how to do a positive review. If he's on Steam, he should post it. If not, someone on Steam should steal it and post it.

Keep the one in the OP too. Both are valuable.

Tazelbain
04-14-2016, 01:45 PM
I thought all that would be sold was boosters and plat?So did we all. Both Chark and Cory have repeatedly taken a hard stance on this. I am in favor of them changing this policy. VIP already is kinda like a bundle. So more bundles a long that power level would be good.

nicosharp
04-14-2016, 01:50 PM
I like the nico review very much as a totally different spin on how to do a positive review. If he's on Steam, he should post it. If not, someone on Steam should steal it and post it.

Keep the one in the OP too. Both are valuable.

I'll clean it up and post on the 19th.

Saeijou
04-14-2016, 01:50 PM
The recent stealth patch to return the draft timer to middle has broken the ability to sort cards in draft !! this needs to be fixed asap and before steam launch...

Also interesting on gameforge site "In future, we will also be offering bundles that comprise of booster packs and some pretty neat surprises."

!!!

Yoss
04-14-2016, 01:54 PM
I wish they'd make all stuff done via Platinum instead of having anything direct from outside currency (USD). I know they want VIP to have a linked credit card (or whatever), but they could still do that with Platinum as follows.

Add a new feature to the Store that's a checkbox you activate. When activated, you authorize Hex to automatically bill you whenever your account Platinum total would drop below zero due to some activity you're doing in the game. In other words, it would seem to you like you have infinite Platinum in your account, and you'd just get a bill at the end of the month (or week). They could have you select a buy increment for how much you refill each time it activates (default to the $5 case).

Now that you have that feature, use it for making VIP work on Platinum. In order to buy VIP, force the player to activate automatic billing and lock in that choice for some minimum duration.

PROFIT!

Tazelbain
04-14-2016, 01:58 PM
from outside currency (USD).I think they consider that feature.

NaryaDL0re
04-14-2016, 02:17 PM
thx for sharing the date here =).