PDA

View Full Version : Tablet support?

Jemy000
04-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Waaay back in the Kickstarter one of our stretch goals was hiring a team to bring Hex to tablets. I thought maybe the devs were avoiding lost revenue from tablet shops taking a cut of purchases, but clearly that's not the case since the game is coming to steam now. Are we still getting tablet support?

CoS
04-11-2016, 08:48 AM
This isn't even on the "soon" list of features. It was not promised as a "release" feature and so I doubt it is much of a priority.

ossuary
04-11-2016, 08:53 AM
It is being worked on in the background and design decisions for the UI are made with the tablet version in mind, but don't expect it any time soon. There are other things on the list that are higher priority. It's still coming, it's just going to be a while still. :)

Taqo
04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
in the meantime remote desktop apps such as splashtop works really well, I play hex on my tablet in my bed from time to time using it :)

Saeijou
04-11-2016, 02:14 PM
in the meantime remote desktop apps such as splashtop works really well, I play hex on my tablet in my bed from time to time using it :)

this! :)

MugenMusou
04-11-2016, 06:06 PM
I agree and hope HEX put tablet version higher on their priority especially as I also recall the strech goal was to hire DEDICATED tablet development team, and many smaller companies already have tablet versions.

I personally use Teamviewer, which is free to connect to my desktop.

fido_one
04-11-2016, 06:12 PM
I agree and hope HEX put tablet version higher on their priority especially as I also recall the strech goal was to hire DEDICATED tablet development team, and many smaller companies already have tablet versions.

I personally use Teamviewer, which is free to connect to my desktop.

HexEnt has been pretty good at talking about tablet support, mainly in that they are saying 'not any time in the near future.' The development of the game in general they undershot by a whole ton, so whatever development in the tablet area was refocused on core components of the game.

They are developing in Unity, so you can just 'press a button' in that development routine to port it over to tablet, but it's still a TON of work to get an experience that doesn't completely alienate your player base. From much, much, much simpler software development projects I have managed, tablet development mirrors a lot of regular PC development - they could have a version at the office that you may be able to use and go 'this is great! It's like 90% done!'. That last 10% is where 90% of the heavy lifting is.

I don't think it will make any sense for them to spend the development cycles on tablets until they get all major features of the game in, which includes raids, 2 by 2s, keeps, and doublebacks. Put tablets in before, and you have to re-tweak the tablet builds with each new feature, and those features are more important at this point than a tablet version.

Could be wrong, but I'd give it a long while.

CoS
04-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Very long while, agreed. I would be surprised if we saw tablet release of Hex prior to 2019. Which is crazy when you think about this being a 2013 Kickstarter project.

XyZyddious
04-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Hello HEX'ers,

I wanted to chime in on this topic. I would love to see more effort going into a tablet version of HEX. I just purchased a tablet for school, needless to say; it's now filled with games, one of those games being Pokemon TCG. It is a game that has taken my spare time when HEX is not a viable option. While I have tried playing HEX with multiple VNC (Remote Desktop Clients), there is too much delay. It is impossible to play a draft without having clock issues. I would simply like to know that a tablet version is actively being worked on. Cory had mentioned at invitational that they have a tablet version at the office, I would love if we could get a chance to even beta test said app. I'm not expecting perfection; I just want to spend my time and effort on the game I love (HEX) and not a game I play because it's available on my tablet (Pokemon TCG).

Stok3d
04-13-2016, 05:14 AM
IOS would bring an insane amount of players to Hex imo. Every time I go into the App Store and see a Hearthstone banner my blood pressure rises. Sadly, it is one of the highest grossing Apps and wish Hex beat it to the punch there.