PDA

View Full Version : Custom Variant - Pokemon Deckbuilding Game

3volution
04-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Hey guys.

Having been a huge fan of Cryptozoic Entertainment's deckbuilding games, I have been tinkering with custom cards and designing my own game types and variants for a few years now.

With the Pokemon 20th anniversary being celebrated recently, and my wife being a huge Pokemon fan (who also loves to play deckbuilding games), I decided to commit the time to design and produce a standalone Pokemon Deckbuilding Game utilizing the Cerberus Engine.

This has been in the works with my spare time over the past six weeks or so. From brainstorming, to physical copy alpha testing, lots of number crunching, to learning about Tabletop Simulator and importing there, followed by limited beta testing on TTS, the game has been continually iterated throughout the process.

I tried reaching out to Matt Hyra to see if there was any possibility for this to be picked up by CZE, but unfortunately was told that Nintendo is not licensing (and couldn't convince him to take a sneak peek at the game). In any case, I am pleased to finally have a polished product that is ready to be released for everyone's enjoyment, even if just as a Print 'n Play or Tabletop Simulator mod!

For those of you that have Tabletop Simulator, I have uploaded the game into the Workshop there:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665479060

For others that would just like to see the images, here is the album:
http://imgur.com/a/G8YDW

And lastly, here is the Google Doc with the Rulebook, FAQ, and all the card text:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FJIRus-fowb_5pqe64-je0KdA34tvw3spPumQoqdl_E/edit#gid=0

Let me know what you think!

bigtipper
04-21-2016, 08:05 PM
Looks sweet! Have you playtested it? I think there might be some balance issues. For example, I'd always take Misty's Staryu over Gary's Squirtle. I'm also a little confused on the "Evolution stack" are evolved forms not part of the Main Deck? That would limit the number of cards in the Main Deck quite a bit (and you'd need a lot of the basics to take up space). Professor Oak's Pokedex seems like it would be strong. Overall, I LOVE the idea of each Superhero getting a unique starter card.

I admit that I only took a brief look at the cards, but is there anything to do with Battles and/or the different Pokemon Types? Some kind of Fire>Grass>Water>etc would be nice to see represented. Would be cool to see the Lass/Bug Catcher cards special encounters in the Main Deck, and when they are flipped over it acts as an "Event" and a 1v1 "battle" happens.

3volution
04-22-2016, 03:40 AM
Looks sweet! Have you playtested it? I think there might be some balance issues. For example, I'd always take Misty's Staryu over Gary's Squirtle. I'm also a little confused on the "Evolution stack" are evolved forms not part of the Main Deck? That would limit the number of cards in the Main Deck quite a bit (and you'd need a lot of the basics to take up space). Professor Oak's Pokedex seems like it would be strong. Overall, I LOVE the idea of each Superhero getting a unique starter card.

I admit that I only took a brief look at the cards, but is there anything to do with Battles and/or the different Pokemon Types? Some kind of Fire>Grass>Water>etc would be nice to see represented. Would be cool to see the Lass/Bug Catcher cards special encounters in the Main Deck, and when they are flipped over it acts as an "Event" and a 1v1 "battle" happens.

I've personally done over 100 playthroughs and have spectated around 25 more with various level of players (some Cerberus Engine veterans and some people brand new to gaming). I wouldn't publicly share something that wasn't thoroughly tested.

I'm curious, why would you always take Misty over Gary? Guaranteed going first can be pretty big.

There are 109 cards in the Main Deck. The 50 card Evolution Stack is separate. I'd suggest reading through the rulebook for an explanation of how the Evolve keyword works.

There are quite a few Attacks in the game, with a fair amount of them having to target one player. This really helps keep snowballing in check, as players can focus their Attacks on the current winner.

There are no specific Pokémon types/elements, but you will notice themes for them. Fire generally destroys cards, water has a lot of control/discard, electric 'paralyzes' by putting cards on top of opponents' decks, etc.

There are 31 targets for Pokedex, and 3 cost Pokemon get bought up pretty quickly. Haven't had any balance issues with it.

If you have Tabletop Simulator, I'm more than willing to host and teach the game.