PDA

View Full Version : dictionary of game terms?

tyn
05-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Hey,
I am totally new to deck building card games and I got The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey Deck Building Game for my birthday. It seems like it could be fun but I'm stuck at the moment trying to understand what the cards are telling me to do.

Is there a dictionary of terms with explanations of what is meant somewhere? I've looked around this site and google'd and haven't found anything. I can usually find a fan video of people playing board games but I couldn't find anything for this one. It would be really helpful if Cryptozoic had a couple video's of real game play somewhere.

As an example the Balin The Dwarf dwarf hero card says "Once during each of your turns, you may reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it." What does 'reveal' mean? Does only the player get to see it? Do all the players get to see it? Does it get turned face up and left on top of the player deck, if it is not discarded?

Thanks,
Ty

gerrymul
05-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Reveal means it is made visible to all players. You then choose if you wish to leave it there (putting it back face down), or discard it.
This differs from cards that say to "look at the top card of your deck" which would mean only you get to see it.

Matt_Hyra
05-06-2016, 10:41 AM
There is not a dictionary like that. We aren't using any esoteric keywords here. The regular dictionary works just fine.
Reveal means "to lay open to view." So everyone gets to see it. There is no mention of what to do with the card, so you should leave it face up as is (or discard it if you choose that option).

Sometimes it helps to look over all the cards to see if there is a context. You might also find the word "peek." A peek allows you a quick or furtive look at the card. No one else gets to see it. And because no one else gets to see it, you would not turn it face up on your deck.

If there are other words/concepts that need clarification, let me know. I can post an explanation of each one.