PDA

View Full Version : Note to Cryptozoic

LexLuthorJr
05-13-2016, 12:03 PM
I just wanted to take a moment to shout out to Cryptozoic and the designers of the DC Deck-Building Game. It is one of the best games that I've ever played with my friends. We get together every weekend and play several games, but DC:DBG has become the staple of our game night.

I hope we, the community, do not overwhelm you guys asking for previews, updates, and other future release information. I hope that you can take it as a sign that we really appreciate the product and we're always looking for what you guys have come up with next. We want more because we love the game!

So thanks for all your hard work, dedication, and support. I sincerely hope DC:DBG stays around for a long time.

Matt_Hyra
05-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the shout out.
We love making the game!

Carthain
05-16-2016, 07:39 AM
I can remember first seeing it, and thinking how simple it was compared to other deck builders I was playing at the time (Dominion, Legendary) so I wasn't as interested in it.

Then after playing a friend's copy a bunch of times, and purchasing my own Heroes Unite + Crisis 2 (I love lanterns & war of light stuff) I started to see how it's simplicity was a bonus.

It's easy to explain to other people, so less time getting new people to play it. Easy to setup/tear down (I don't play Legendary much simply because I usually don't want to go through the setup & tear down of the game.)

I now have a cube (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HYErXgFNL._SL1000_.jpg) mostly full of DC deck building games (DC stuff + street fighter is in there.) which I cart around to my friends place so we have it to play with if we want to.

So yes, Kudos -- That we're impatiently waiting for the next installment means you're doing something (or a lot of somethings) right :)

aoineko
05-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Thanks! It's been a blast working on these games. Hopefully, we'll be able to say more about all the cool new stuff soon.

gerrymul
05-16-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm really hoping you come up with a new base set that cuts back on all the newer mechanics requiring lots of upkeep, like Teen Titans (and to a lesser degree FE). Something closer to Heroes Unite again...

LexLuthorJr
05-16-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm really hoping you come up with a new base set that cuts back on all the newer mechanics requiring lots of upkeep, like Teen Titans (and to a lesser degree FE). Something closer to Heroes Unite again...

Disagree. I love the new mechanics.

Carthain
05-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Which mechanics require lots of upkeep? (I'm not sure how you're using the term "upkeep" ... as I can't fathom what it would apply to :) )

Hopefully, we'll be able to say more about all the cool new stuff soon.So there is new stuff. Awesome. And it's cool. Doubly awesome.

Also I just noticed. Does your alias say "blue cat"?

czs716
05-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Just got my Heroes Unite set in today and gonna play later. I seriously LOVE this game. And it is my groups go to game. I plan to eventually get every DCDBG release. So far I have HU and FE base sets, Arrow and LSH crossover, Crisis 2 and 3, and the 2015 volunteer promos. Need to upgrade my penny sleeves and find some for the oversize cards.

Keep up the great work!

StormKing
05-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Everyone who designs, develops, playtests, etc wishes they could just shout out all the DC plans and ideas to you guys. There are some good things coming up. :)

aoineko
05-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Also I just noticed. Does your alias say "blue cat"?

It does!

gerrymul
05-17-2016, 09:59 AM
By upkeep, I'm talking about all the ongoing cards in Titans. Sitting and waiting 5 minutes for someone to take their turn is ok, but not something I want to be doing all the time. Cards that check for types/copies in discard piles, cards that retrieve massive amounts of cards from discards, collect VPs, spend VPs, count how many VPs you have. All of this I think of as upkeep and slows the game down. I like it once in a while, but generally the people I play with keep coming back to HU with either JSA or some of the crisis cards mixed in unless we have a group that is up for a 2 hour game. With HU you can get a game done in 30-40 minutes. It easily takes 75+ minutes for FE or Titans, and unless YOU are the one taking the extra long turn, it gets pretty boring sitting for 10 minutes while 3 other players get through theirs before you take yours.

Carthain
05-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Ahhh Okay... I wouldn't use the word Upkeep -- but that may be due to playing Magic for years and years.

Magic tends to call this on-board complexity. I find it amusing that one of the cards that takes the longest for us to use is Starbolt as someone will inevitably end up going through their discard pile multiple times -- so not something from FE or TT :)

It could just be the players that we each play with, and they handle things differently, thus we see the differences.

gerrymul
05-17-2016, 11:28 AM
When I make up custom decks I tend to leave out these sorts of cards (Manhunters, Starbolts, only 1 Robin and Bat Signal, Ganthet, Man of Steel, Titans Go!, etc.). I have a couple of friends who are notoriously long turn takers, even without all those cards (using cards to put things on top of their deck, checking locations, holding cards in their hands while doing mental calculations to figure out what to buy before playing certain cards). I know it can be fun when you are the one doing it, but it really drags it our and limits the enjoyment for other players when your turn is 5+ minutes. We've joked about getting an egg timer/hourglass for turns...

czs716
05-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Seems part of HU being shorter is the low cost super villains.

shadowking01
05-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Also H'el's ability makes it easy to get a bunch of good cards easily if you can get him

LexLuthorJr
05-22-2016, 10:30 PM
By upkeep, I'm talking about all the ongoing cards in Titans. Sitting and waiting 5 minutes for someone to take their turn is ok, but not something I want to be doing all the time.

We just make sure that everyone in our group understands that you need to make your turns go quickly. I get aggravated when a player's turn comes around and they look at their hand as if they just drew it. If you are going to play Hawkgirl or Starbolts, for example, count the Heroes/Super Powers in your discard before your turn even comes around. I'll even put anything I know I'll need on the top of the discard pile so as not to waste time during my turn.

Another big part is just getting familiar with the cards. We've played every set so many times we no longer need to read the cards.

Seriously, unless something drastic changed your hand or you just have a very complicated string of draws, there is no excuse for your turn to consistently take longer than one minute.