PDA

View Full Version : Naruto DBG Archenemy balancing

adm533
05-13-2016, 10:19 PM
I've played a number of the original DC DBG's as well as Street Fighter and the LotR games and I love how these games play, however I have found the Naruto DBG to be significantly longer and improperly balanced. I've never been able to complete a game without getting to the end of the main deck, in fact typically only 3-4 of the Archenemies are defeated by the end of the game. The decks don't get strong enough (not enough high +power cards) and clog up quickly (weaknesses gained early from Poison Fog, or other cards, before defenses get out). The game quickly stagnates, power per hand never getting much higher than 6. Even with the added Chakra abilities and some of the Positive attacks you rarely see the power level of a hand exceeding 10, where as in DC it's not terribly uncommon to hit 20+. Since the game stagnates it can end up taking 2+ hours (where as DC can easily finish in <30 min). I'm curious if anyone else has run into this issue and has thought of a way to modify the game play to help balance the game? Or maybe I'm missing some key element that is causing our games to run on forever? I'm wondering if you couldn't somehow make chakra be worth +power (maybe +2 chakra = +1 power?). I love the Naruto theme but am very disappointed in the game play so far :(

StormKing
05-14-2016, 12:32 AM
Avoid hand signs as much as you can. I've honestly noticed that players who say what you're saying right now tend to load up on +Chakra cards early on and then say they can't hit enough power to do anything. Granted, sometimes you need the boost of chakra, but early on, you want Positive Attacks, +Power cards and cards with Chakra Abilities (rather than generating chakra).

adm533
05-14-2016, 06:47 AM
thanks for the response, but I think in the last game I played I literally only bought a single hand sign. I gained a few from one of the Path of Pain cards - so I may have had 4 or 5 the entire game(and they are used immediately), but I still only managed to get over 10 power one time in a 2+ hour game. What I feel like I struggle with is deck congestion from weaknesses/vulnerabilities/punches - which in other games don't have as big of an impact due to more high +power cards and +draw cards - those just seem to be lacking in Naruto. There are quite a few destroy cards so I would expect that to balance things out but they don't come up. Honestly I'm tempted to say the best strategy, at least early game is just buy up kicks and destroy cards until your deck is a bunch of kicks but that makes the game a lot less interesting.

Matt_Hyra
05-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Card destruction is good.
Learn to tease the Defenses out of your opponents' hands, then play your big Positive Attack.

adm533
05-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Agreed card destruction does seem to be the most helpful, it just didn't seem to keep up with the weaknesses. I also think positive attacks are key, but I was hitting my positive attacks every time typically +6 chakra, which once again doesn't help with +power. The +4 positive attack ALWAYS gets blocked because people choose not to play defenses except against that. And this post isn't about general strategy -- everyone playing was unable to attain high power levels.

I was mostly curious if anyone else ran into this issue or if it just takes a few games to get everyone playing with a strategy that's efficient and keeps the game moving forward. I'm considering taking out the poison fogs and giving everyone the Naruto character cards Chakra ability. This would reduce the strain of attempting to get +10 or more power and also prevent the early weaknesses before defenses are even in play.

shadowking01
05-15-2016, 10:43 AM
I bought a first print run months ago but still haven't played it yet, its sleeved and everything just have yet to play

Carthain
05-16-2016, 07:33 AM
I like it - last time I played it, I think it did go slower than the DC games we usually play -- but part of that was getting people to wrap their heads around the Chakra abilities, how to generate Chakra, and just having to read and evaluate new cards.

I've played 2-3 games and never had the situations that adm533 has described.

StormKing's suggestion of not overloading on +chakra cards is definitely good advice. Having more than 2 hand signs in your deck at a time I think is too much generally. If you find that the positive attack cards are being blocked most of the time -- then avoid them. Get cards that will consistently get you power instead.

Perhaps try to focus on cards that are just raw power? Any card that has an attack attached to it will get you less power per point it costs to purchase it.