PDA

View Full Version : Using rival cards in a normal game.

unclebill
05-30-2016, 03:00 PM
When using rivals cards as part of a normal dc-heroes game, change the definition of confrontation to an optional attack against just one chosen foe. After selection of a foe, the foe may may either defend or block. If a defense or block occurs, the confrontation immediately ends after the effects of the defense or block. Otherwise, the remaining text of the confrontation occurs and then the confrontation ends. The effect here is that you *do not* get the effects of a confrontation card unless you win the confrontation!

Block cards may be used verses confrontations, normal attacks, or first appearances. Block cards are discarded when used this way. Block cards with character costs, instead, increase the attacker's next cost of power this turn. Change confrontation cards from 'During a confrontation,' to 'You may choose a foe to confront and if successful, ...'

I've been using this home-grown change in rules or over a year and they have worked rather well. The biggest challenge is deciding to use a block vs an attack or confrontation as they generally have greater power values for you on your turn vs increasing the power costs of a foe.

UncleBill

Matt_Hyra
05-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Pretty cool idea! Turns Confrontation cards into Positive Attacks, basically.

GuruGuru214
05-31-2016, 01:52 AM
My group toyed with the idea of running the Super-Villain Hunt variant for a while. It didn't take because we had a hard time keeping track of who had what Super-Villains in their discard piles at what time, plus it made us all reluctant to buy Super-Villains only to have them stolen away later.

But when we were still thinking about it, I wanted to combine the Confrontation system with attempting to steal another player's Super-Villain. Never had the chance to try it, though. When we use Rivals cards, we just use the half of the deck that makes no mention of Confrontation, Block, or character cost.

Dreris
05-31-2016, 04:14 AM
I use them but just replace Confrontation with attack and block with defense.

It makes for some interesting first appearance interactions

unclebill
05-31-2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks for comments! The two groups I play with are very different. One wants all of the cards from all of the dc-games mixed in. However, I stop mixing when they want non-dc-heroes like street fighter. The other group likes it simple. Generally, just one or two card decks. This rival variant works well with both large and small.
UncleBill
P.S. Good luck at GenCon. I don't see myself attending this year.
UncleBill
PPS. Oh yeah. Matt, you may add this to the variant rule book you're going to publish some day.
UncleBill

SpiritDetective
06-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Pretty cool idea! Turns Confrontation cards into Positive Attacks, basically.

I'm glad Positive Attacks have not been forgotten.

Dreris
06-02-2016, 05:28 AM
What's a positive attack?

Sorry haven't heard the term before

aoineko
06-02-2016, 11:25 AM
What's a positive attack?

Sorry haven't heard the term before

It's a mechanic used in the Naruto DBG. It's an Attack that gives you a bonus instead of doing something bad to another player. For example, "Positive Attack: +4 Power" means you get 4 Power is no one defends.