PDA

View Full Version : Future of Naruto DBG

EnderExile
03-24-2017, 10:28 AM
As a fan of the Cerberus DBG engine all around I love playing the different styles of these games available. However my favorite is the Naruto Shipudden DBG, and there's no news anywhere of an expansion coming for it anywhere I look. This universe has more than enough characters and lore to make multiple expansions that would be awesome! I guess I'm looking for someone to give me hope that it will happen at some point.

Mac_Apple
03-24-2017, 06:16 PM
They said that an expansion was designed and completed but sales didn't warrant it's release.

DimeDrl
03-24-2017, 10:21 PM
Translation: There's too many unsold copies of the first game sitting on the shelves at FLGS and they aren't gonna buy copies of the second game as a result.

My nearest FLGS has four copies of Naruto collecting dust.

Bladecom
03-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Translation: There's too many unsold copies of the first game sitting on the shelves at FLGS and they aren't gonna buy copies of the second game as a result.

My nearest FLGS has four copies of Naruto collecting dust.

Kinda funny, considering it goes for near $100 online for being hard to find in the wild. I ended up having to pay far higher then the other games when I was finishing my collection :\

StormKing
03-29-2017, 12:46 PM
It was gonna be good, the people who did get to play the expansion loved it. Obviously I'm not at liberty to talk about what it was, though.

DimeDrl
03-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Kinda funny, considering it goes for near $100 online for being hard to find in the wild. I ended up having to pay far higher then the other games when I was finishing my collection :\

It's not uncommon. Earlier this month when the Nintendo Switch launched, people were paying $600+ for one, while stores in certain areas were sitting on half a dozen extra consoles. Smaller retailers sometimes have items in stock that they don't have for sale online. It happens a lot with small FLGS.

The nearest P&PRPG focused game store in my area is owned by a guy who is basically a luddite. All transactions are recorded on a legal pad and the computer they have in the back is pre-pentium and they only use it to place orders. They tend to have rarer games at non-gouging prices. I stopped going there years ago because it wasn't as convenient as the store I go to now where they have better stock and order times.

str8shooter
12-13-2017, 12:04 AM
im trying to learn more about naruto dbg. the rule book it came with does not have all the cards listed. i want to know more specifics about the cards and abilities and.or restrictions with them. where can i find like an extended rule book?

Matt_Hyra
12-13-2017, 10:58 AM
im trying to learn more about naruto dbg. the rule book it came with does not have all the cards listed. i want to know more specifics about the cards and abilities and.or restrictions with them. where can i find like an extended rule book?

There isn't an extended rulebook. Go ahead and post any questions you have in this thread.

str8shooter
12-13-2017, 02:03 PM
first of all....great game dude!...my 15 year old son searched for this game for 3 weeks...apparently the only set that was available a demo...lol...i didnt know what to expect as ive never played these type of games before....im hooked.such a great time playing this with my son...thank you for designing such a complex and challenging game that isn't impossible to learn...i want more info on card clarification.. the card ino..if i produce enough chakra can i use more than one character chakra ability once each?
also...does killer bee have to be played into a chakra point to utilize that cards ability?
thanx agAin for responding...kinda cool im talking to the guy that made the game ....so my son cant argue with you..��...help me stomp this little terd....lol...long live the rebellion��������

Matt_Hyra
12-13-2017, 04:25 PM
first of all....great game dude!...my 15 year old son searched for this game for 3 weeks...apparently the only set that was available a demo...lol...i didnt know what to expect as ive never played these type of games before....im hooked.such a great time playing this with my son...thank you for designing such a complex and challenging game that isn't impossible to learn...

Glad you like it!

i want more info on card clarification.. the card ino..if i produce enough chakra can i use more than one character chakra ability once each?

You can use each Chakra ability only once each turn. By playing Ino, you simply have more options to choose from, but once each only. See bold text on top of rulebook page 6 and back of rulebook 2nd bullet point as well.

also...does killer bee have to be played into a chakra point to utilize that cards ability?
thanx agAin for responding...kinda cool im talking to the guy that made the game ....so my son cant argue with you..��...help me stomp this little terd....lol...long live the rebellion��������

No, Killer Bee does not need to be in a Chakra Point for this to work. The language is written that way just in case he IS in a Chakra Point he won't return. The FAQ entry on him at the top of page 12 reads: "If Killer Bee is in one your Chakra Points, he does not return to your hand." The word IF means a lot there. He doesn't need to be in a Point to resolve his ability.

Go get 'em dad!

Oleg96
12-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Hello.

I hope someone can help me. I have a question to a symbol one the Location cards. What does (*=3) mean? It is on the 4 Lovation cards of the hidden villages.

Greetings.

gerrymul
12-14-2017, 11:32 AM
It means that any card with the * symbol in the VP spot the * is equal to 3 for the purposes of the card in question.

Oleg96
12-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Oh, thanks.

dforce316
01-10-2018, 09:49 PM
They said that an expansion was designed and completed but sales didn't warrant it's release.

I would like to think that like most individuals who visit this section of the forum, have likely played a lot of the Deck Building Games put out by Cryptozoic. In brief, Here's how I feel about what I have played. Although irrelevant to the topic, so feel free to skip the opinion on other games,

=======================
DC Original - Fun and easy
DC Heroes United - Slightly more challenging
DC Forever Evil - Difficult to say goodbye to cards
DC Teen Titans - Interesting card management
Cartoon Network - Kid friendly and easy
Rick and Morty - Fun and love the Location abilities. Vulnerabilities are awesome
LOTR: FOTR - Much like DC Original. Ambushes are great
LOTR: TTT - Always fun when someone is screwed over by the wall
LOTR: ROTK - Interesting mechanic with moving the ring around
The Hobbit - Loot over enemies is interesting and fun. Although I do feel the expansion was possibly a failure, hence no Battle of 5 armies. And was an expansion chosen, rather than a new full game because the original game didn't do so well, I don't know.
Street Fighter - Counter-attack mechanic is interesting
Attack on Titan - No matter if I play this with a couple of people or with 5 people, I hate it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong. There are just too many cards to manage all over the place. it's not fun.
=======================

I find it hard to believe that sales didn't warrant a release of an expansion. I did see the game online for a reasonable price, briefly. But figured I'd wait till I was buying other stuff. But when that time game, the game was selling for like $200 on amazon. Total BS.

I called up local game shops in my state, in Australia. Googled games shops across my country. I found nothing. I came on here and started going through a list of all the game shops listed on this very site looking to see who had online stores and who had the game listed. And there is a big list. Started with major cities in the US, then the UK.

Eventually went to google and I found 1 copy of the game in Wales in a small hobby shop. And I bought it for about 40pound. It was the worst experience I had buying online. The owner seemed lazy. And despite having an online store and selling overseas AND inviting correspondence via email in both the site and from the invoice, it wasn't until looking up the store on facebook 4 days later (and not hearing a reply), that their facebook says no correspondence will be replied to via email. Phone calls only. I am somehow incredibly lucky to be able to work out postage via facebook messenger. Despite the fact it took nearly two weeks (which is why lazy because I never got an answer other than later in the week, or early next week.)

All up I paid about $70AUD, which is surprisingly quite reasonable given the lengths i went to, to find a game that apparently DID NOT SELL WELL, yet took months to find.

Having played it, it was one of, if not the most enjoyable game. It is both challenging and time consuming. Combos are everywhere if you buy the right cards. The villains are well balanced between regular and impossible mode.

It is shocking that a second game or expansion was not released. How did Cartoon Network get a sequel? It honestly feels too small to be a sequel, yet too large to be an expansion. Maybe that it's designed for 2 - 4 players, instead of 5.

Maybe instead of Attack on Titan we should have gotten another Naruto game. It feels like jumping on the band wagon of what is popular and current given Naruto Shippuden has come to an end and the newest big thing in anime is Attack on Titan. Do we now drop Attack on Titan for something like Food Wars: The Deck Building Game??

Even if we can't get the a second game/expansion, it would be nice to know what we missed out on, like a card list or game mechanic, a list of villains or who the oversized characters would have been, was there anything new introduced?

Sorry if it feels like a rant. The Naruto Deck Building Game is genuinely one of the better games that experienced players would love. If you find it, play it, give it a chance. You're missing out.

DimeDrl
01-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Attack on Titan - No matter if I play this with a couple of people or with 5 people, I hate it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong. There are just too many cards to manage all over the place. it's not fun.

I had the same reaction. There's just too much going on in that game. Too many game mechanics and not enough player ability to manage them effectively.

Tschudy
01-15-2018, 02:02 PM
AoT seemed like it wanted to be kind of a hardcore mode, but it just gets way too hard way too fast. Out of a little over 10 games played with varying numbers of players, we've won only 2. I think the biggest issue is only having like, 4 cards total that get rid of wounds, then you get hit with 2 titans on the flop after barely dropping the archenemy and its all downhill from there.

More on topic though, I really liked the Naruto DBG's mechanics (got to play it on tabletop simulator) like the positive attacks and chakra points on the hero cards. Only real complaint I had was with one of the archenemies giving extra turns but the rest of the game felt pretty solid. Now I just wish I could even get a physical copy.

dforce316
01-16-2018, 05:36 PM
More on topic though, I really liked the Naruto DBG's mechanics (got to play it on tabletop simulator) like the positive attacks and chakra points on the hero cards. Only real complaint I had was with one of the archenemies giving extra turns but the rest of the game felt pretty solid. Now I just wish I could even get a physical copy.

I assume you're taking about Archenemy/Super Villain Itachi. Where if you can't defend your turn is skipped. I actually love this card. It fits well with the character. And if you're playing Villains in order of level, he is usually towards the end. My friend managed to play it twice in a row, giving him three hands which I had to sit and watch. Painful but fun...sadly it was me who told him how to do it.

Carthain
01-17-2018, 07:43 AM
Yeah, IIRC he's the 2nd last super villain. So, the player who gets him only has a limited amount of time to use his ability (if he even gets the chance)

CushionRide
01-27-2018, 07:14 AM
my friend has this game, the thing i really like about the naruto DBG is that it actually can be compatible with DC Deckbuilding game. in one game my friend sia used Jaraya and the rest of us were playing DC characters, i used Jericho to copy his character and then build Chakra for myself that turn, it was hilarious. besides the point i wish i hadnt missed the release of naruto. cause if i see it on ebay its pretty much 100+ dollars now. my friend says you guys should make expansions though cause there is soo much content being missed in the core game.

i also have the attack on titan game, i actually liked that one. we have some entertaining fun with it, the only thing thats irritating about it is if you dont have time to buy things off the lineup but then we just stack things. the only other irritating thing is stacking the titans in the deck. otherwise we have fun when we play. it is a game that supports table talk wich is nice. i did encorportate the titan style ambushes into my main DC game. it makes loads more fun :D

Tschudy
01-28-2018, 06:23 AM
Yeah, $100+ is highway robbery for it, especially when you intend to just play the thing. Like if I could just find it complete and in alright shape, that would be fine for me.

CushionRide
01-29-2018, 07:58 PM
i just noticed something.... ive been collecting DC Deckbuilder for about 3 years, and ive been on this site on and off for about the same amount of time. why is today the first time ive ever even seen the naruto shippuden game on the web store? this is actually the first time i even seen this edition and it was released in 2014? im seriously confused.

i think i now realize why cryptazoic games dont sell well. its time to fire who ever is in charge of marketing.

Carthain
01-29-2018, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure that just because *you* didn't notice something means that someone should be fired.

There's a bunch of potential reasons for what you've experienced. Jumping to "fire the person you think is in charge of the experience" seems like a huge overreaction.

CushionRide
01-30-2018, 08:27 PM
"im an idiot so read this if you want to have a good laugh"

im not saying I didn't NOTICE the game, im saying IT WASNT LISTED. for the past 3 years ive shopped at this site http://store.cryptozoic.com/ and the only Naruto game ive seen was out of stock and it was the first one, not the shippuden game. I have never even seen the game mentioned in this thread until the other day, in fact I honestly thought the person starting this thread was talking about the first naruto game. and just mistakenly called it shippuden. after doing some research I found I was wrong. and when I googled the game the first site I got was the store on this website, which I have been looking on also. Im a massive fan of the Cerberus style games, especially the anime ones and DC. ive also collected the LOTR and Hobbit sets. i have attack on titan also(which i may add was not listed on this site the only place i saw an advertisement for attack on titan was out of a Preview catolog)I cant believe that after 3 years of shopping this site I would have missed the Shippuden game. especially since my friend has the first game and has been desperately wanting more content to add to it much like ive been adding to my DC collection. I have also commented on the fact that the Cryptazoic e store needs to be updated and items that are not for sale anymore should be removed so people are not confused that its still for sale. it seems that the e store has been recently updated, so that's a plus. maybe my opinion is a little harsh, but I do think it may have some merit.

sorry im dumb :(

Carthain
01-30-2018, 11:55 PM
im not saying I didn't NOTICE the game, im saying IT WASNT LISTED.
Yes, very good - I am aware of what you said.

I never said it was any inattention on your part (yes, I said you didn't notice it - but only looking at one place for your source of information online seems ... short sighted.) I primarily said that you jumped to a hell of a conclusion.

As I was writing my earlier reply, I went to look for it on the store, and it wasn't there. Not even a "out of stock" and listed -- not there at all. So I fully believe you when you say you never saw it on there (and not due to inattention on your part.)

As a web developer, I can think of all sorts of reasons that would cause this that have nothing to do with marketing. So calling for the head of marketing to be fired is simply ludicrous.

By all means - chastise Cryptozoic as a company for it not being listed. Tell them off that they potentially missed a sale to a dedicated customer. There's all sorts of criticism you could give that would be fine. But saying that the person in charge of marketing should be fired doesn't fall into that group. You went way beyond reasonable, and that hurts the real message that you should have been trying to convey -- that you were unhappy that you didn't know about the product, and you were assuming you were keeping an eye on the core source of such information.

CushionRide
01-31-2018, 09:38 PM
ok im gonna respond by not even reading your response because I AM A TOTAL IDIOT. seriously. i was just talking to my friend who got his Naruto game at gencon, and aparantly yea its the same game we are talking about. for some stupid reason on my part i thought the game i used to see in the old web store was different than the actual game. he looked at me today and was wondering what i was talking about, and after he explained it to me. ..... well yea. HA HA soooo im gonna eat a hearty can of FOOT IN MOUTH and go back to my corner and sit. Y_Y sorry guys

o by the way Carthain i think your taking the whole firing comment to seriously. some people throw comments out of their rear. i do on occasion. its like loosly saying 'i wanna kill that idiot' do i mean it , no, am i gonna do it , no. thats kinda where that comment was being placed. im sorry you got so personally offended by it.