PDA

View Full Version : DC competitive variant

midnight_rider
03-31-2017, 12:06 PM
This is a simple variant for competitive games I've been playing around with, and we've found it to be pretty fun.

For lack of a better name at the moment, I'll call it the Brave and the Bold variant.

Setup: setup your game as usual, including your Super Hero/Supervillain. You will be using the other oversize characters in this variant. You can use everyone in your collection, or assemble a select pool. Either way, shuffle up all your oversize characters not used in this game. Randomly make a stack of heroes face down. Your stack will be the number of Supervillains minus 1. For example, if your super villain stack is 8, the oversize hero stack will be 7.

Rule: After the starter super villain is defeated, various heroes will try and help you against other Supervillains. Before the next Supervillain is revealed, flip over the top card of the hero stack to see who is making a special appearance.

Everytime a Supervillain is defeated, the current hero is discarded, and a new one will make their appearance.

When a Super Hero is flipped faceup, he/she becomes active. All players may use that heroes abilities along with their normal game Hero.

Example: Before the next villain is revealed after Al Ghul is defeated, you flip Green Lantern. He is now active and available to use by all players until he is replaced before the next Villain reveal.

They may not help much, or they may give a player a jackpot turn. They don't stick around long, so you can't build around them. We find the anticipation of who's next to add another layer of fun.

Who knows. If you're playing Batman, maybe Nightwing makes an appearance. Booyah! Or maybe Bizarro flies in to help, leaves you with a weakness and takes off. Does your opponent have a couple locations out, and you have none. Wow... Welcome Swamp Thing! We've had so much fun with this.

I would avoid using Arrow heroes because their abilities generally take some time, and they may not be around long, but that's up to you.

Also Phantom Girl, unless you play with Time Travel cards.

Give it a shot. Let me know what you think.

Carthain
04-01-2017, 05:22 AM
I may be nitpicking here, but how is this a "competitive" variant? In what way is it more competitive than playing by the regular rules?

Don't get me down - it sounds like it'd be fun to play. I'm just not seeing the connection to it being "competitive."

midnight_rider
04-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Competitive play as in not Crisis cooperative.

DimeDrl
04-01-2017, 10:55 PM
I may be nitpicking here, but how is this a "competitive" variant? In what way is it more competitive than playing by the regular rules?

Don't get me down - it sounds like it'd be fun to play. I'm just not seeing the connection to it being "competitive."

Competitive play as in not Crisis cooperative.

...which brings it back to the original question about regular rules.

midnight_rider
04-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I see the confusion. Its a variant along the lines of Two Heads and On Patrol for the regular rules. I just say competitive to differentiate from coop play to avoid confusion. Well, that's a mistake I see, lol.

Hope it makes sense now. I'd change the thread title, but I don't know how.

andymo24
04-05-2017, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I see the confusion. Its a variant along the lines of Two Heads and On Patrol for the regular rules. I just say competitive to differentiate from coop play to avoid confusion. Well, that's a mistake I see, lol.

Hope it makes sense now. I'd change the thread title, but I don't know how.

Don't worry about it. I believe that was a perfectly legitimate use of the English language, especially in light of the other variants.

Sounds extremely interesting.