PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead- No Sanctuary - What Lies Ahead - Traffic Jam

Andrei01
01-05-2019, 04:11 AM
Hi,

I have played through base game and have so far no problems. However when I started playing What lies ahead I played Traffic Jam scenario and came up to some uncertainties in the rules. I play solo and usually one survivor plus ally and so far this was the most difficult scenario. Please help to clarify:

1. Divert Event card Neglect rule instructed to "Raise Threat by 1, then place the Roamer Token in a random Space" - I drew the random Map card to determine the random location. This put my roamer token away from the edge of the tile and as a result throughout the game I could not fulfil the first objective ( the Walker needs to be in the Roamer space and the roamer token at the edge of the map in order for the walker to be removed) - Is there a way around this? Is it compulsory to use Map deck to determine the random Space?

2. When Objective B card revealed it instructs to: "place this card face up in an adjacent Space". Can I do this immediately and start placing Focus on this card even before the stage is unlocked as it is says "revealed" rather than "gain" or do I still need to Unlock previous objectives. Also do I use Focus tokens from the Survivors sheet or the main pool?

Another question on the rules: Special Actions - "The effects of a Special Action can only be triggered if the Active Survivor chooses to perform that Special Action instead of a standard Action". However on one of the post I read that the Special Action can be performed in addition to Standard (example was Handgun Training card). What is the correct use of the Special Actions listed on the Survivor's card?

Also, as a general note, I rely a lot on a Maneuver to either move survivors or clear the Stress and it leaves with very little option to use it for other effects such us using resources. It would have been great to utilise Focus or some other rule to make better use of the resources.

MattyTheSquid
01-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Hi,

I have played through base game and have so far no problems. However when I started playing What lies ahead I played Traffic Jam scenario and came up to some uncertainties in the rules. I play solo and usually one survivor plus ally and so far this was the most difficult scenario. Please help to clarify:

Hi there, Andrei01. Glad to hear you've been having success with No Sanctuary so far. Let's see if we can help clarify the subjects you've asked about here:

1. Divert Event card Neglect rule instructed to "Raise Threat by 1, then place the Roamer Token in a random Space" - I drew the random Map card to determine the random location. This put my roamer token away from the edge of the tile and as a result throughout the game I could not fulfil the first objective ( the Walker needs to be in the Roamer space and the roamer token at the edge of the map in order for the walker to be removed) - Is there a way around this? Is it compulsory to use Map deck to determine the random Space?

It sounds like you did the random placement of the Roamer Token correctly. Divert's neglect effect can move the Roamer Token to a Space away from the edge of the map, which makes it a very dangerous Event to neglect early in that scenario. If you do find yourself in the unfortunate position of having the Roamer Token out of place like that, you can at least keep your eyes open for future Divert events, which, if you choose to make them the active event, will give you an opportunity to move the token back into position.

2. When Objective B card revealed it instructs to: "place this card face up in an adjacent Space". Can I do this immediately and start placing Focus on this card even before the stage is unlocked as it is says "revealed" rather than "gain" or do I still need to Unlock previous objectives. Also do I use Focus tokens from the Survivors sheet or the main pool?

The Objective B card should go into play immediately (as you correctly noted, it triggers "when revealed" instead of "when gained"), and Survivors can start using the Dissect action once it's in play, regardless of which objective they are currently on. Keep in mind, though, that even if the Survivors place 4 Focus Tokens on Objective B before completing the second objective (Protect Sophia), they won't "skip over" the third objective and win once the second objective is completed. The Survivors will need to make it to the Objective Phase of the next turn, at which point the game will check to see that the third objective has been completed, and the Survivors will win.

As for the Focus Tokens that get placed on the Objective, those should come from the main pool.

Another question on the rules: Special Actions - "The effects of a Special Action can only be triggered if the Active Survivor chooses to perform that Special Action instead of a standard Action". However on one of the post I read that the Special Action can be performed in addition to Standard (example was Handgun Training card). What is the correct use of the Special Actions listed on the Survivor's card?

I'm guessing you're referring to the post found at this link (https://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=49303&p=571102&viewfull=1#post571102)? Much like that post did, this answer might be a bit long, but hopefully it'll help keep things as clear as possible.

To begin with, I'm going to break down some terminology, because one common misunderstanding has to do with what "Special Actions" and "Standard Actions" actually are, which can make reading other rules about those things a little confusing.

So, let's start with the parts of an Action. Actions have the following parts:

-A name.
-A Characteristic, which indicates which Characteristic is used to determine the number of action dice to roll.
-An Action Effect, which happens automatically when that action is performed.
-One or more Success Effects, which show what effects you can get when spending the Success results from the dice you roll.

So for example, let's take a look at the Grapple Action from the rule book/reference card.

-Name: Grapple
-Characteristic: Attack
-Action Effect: Knock down 1 enemy in your Space.
-Success Effects: Knock down 1 enemy in your Space. / Defeat 1 knocked-down enemy in your Space.

Now, as I touched on earlier, it's not uncommon for people to mistakenly think that the terms "Standard Action" and "Special Action" are actually referring to Action Effects and Success Effects. So what do those terms actually mean? Well, basically, Actions come in two types: Standard and Special. Standard Actions are default options that are always available to a Survivor. The three Standard Actions are Grapple, Search, and Assist, and all can be found in the rule book and on the reference card.

Special Actions, meanwhile, are are found on cards or other game effects. Most commonly, these are from Survivor Cards, but Dissect, from this Scenario, is a good example of Special Action being found somewhere other than a Survivor Card. It's important to note that Special Actions are simply giving Survivors additional options when it comes to choosing what Action they're taking for the turn; they are not additional actions a Survivor can take on top of a Standard Action.

Another important note about Actions is that the Success Effects of an Action are only available if that Action was taken. You can't choose to use Success Effects from a different action. That's part of what that "The effects of a Special Action can only be triggered if the Active Survivor chooses to perform that Special Action instead of a standard Action" line is referring to.

Now, all of that is a bit of a mouthful, so let's try an example. Let's say a player is taking their turn as Rick. When deciding what action to take for the turn, they normally have three options to choose from:

-Grapple
-Search
-Assist

However, Rick played Handgun Training as his Survivor Card for the turn, which contains the Special Action "Aim for the Head," so now Rick has four potential Actions to choose from:

-Grapple
-Search
-Assist
-Aim for the Head

On top of that, Rick is currently in the Traffic Jam Scenario, and is standing on top of Objective B, so now he's up to five options he could choose from:

-Grapple
-Search
-Assist
-Aim for the Head
-Dissect

Of those five, Rick chooses to perform the Assist Action. He immediately performs the Action Effect, gaining 1 Trust. He then rolls 3 Action Dice (based on his Coordinate Characteristic), and gets 3 Success results! Now, when choosing how to spend those Successes, he can only choose from Assist's two Success Effects. He could not, for example, choose to use Dissect's "Discard 1 Stress" Success Effect, because he did not choose to perform the Dissect Action. He also could not use Aim for the Head's "Defeat 1 enemy within range 2" Success Effect, because, again, he did not perform the Aim for the Head Action. So, Rick chooses to use Assist's first Success Effect twice (giving another Survivor 2 Focus and himself 2 more Trust), and then the second Success Effect once (letting a Survivor within range 1 discard 1 Stress and gain 1 Trust). After all that, Rick is finished taking his Action for the turn.

Hopefully that helped clear up how Standard Actions and Special Actions work. If anything in there (or anything else in this post) could use more clarification, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you for playing, and we hope you enjoy the rest of the Scenarios!

Andrei01
01-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Hi MattyThe Squid,

Thank you for your reply. That's great and very detailed explanation, it certainly clarified my questions! Also want to add that minis are great and I enjoying painting them too as well as playing the game.