PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop Games? Penny Arcade? Ummm.. Awsome?

Hooblah
03-14-2011, 07:14 PM
I was happy to stumble upon this when is release date?

jennazoic
03-14-2011, 08:18 PM
You can check http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/penny-arcade-deckbuilding-game for more information. The release date is still being determined!

Dismissile
03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
You can check http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/penny-arcade-deckbuilding-game for more information. The release date is still being determined!

Is this similar to Dominion?

BlueRider
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
That's what it sounds like.

houjix
03-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Dominion andThunderstone are a couple of the biggies in this genre right now. There's others already out there, at least 3 new games due out in the next month or two and more games and expansion to existing games farther out. It's becoming a pretty crowded field.

boba_fouts
03-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Ascension is my non-WoW TCG card game of choice.

spacelion
03-16-2011, 09:31 PM
I'll be following this game on BGG

Dismissile
03-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Dominion andThunderstone are a couple of the biggies in this genre right now. There's others already out there, at least 3 new games due out in the next month or two and more games and expansion to existing games farther out. It's becoming a pretty crowded field.

I really love Resident Evil. Plays just like Dominion...with ZOMBEHS.

Whizzwang
03-17-2011, 07:33 AM
I really love Resident Evil. Plays just like Dominion...with ZOMBEHS.

Oooo, I haven't seen that yet. I may have to track a copy of that down.

houjix
03-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Ascension is my non-WoW TCG card game of choice.

Blecch. One of my least favorite of the genre. Too little simplistic and too little strategy for me to play more than once in a blue moon. Decent gateway game though for those same reasons.

Looking forward to Nightfall, which drops next week. Vampires vs Werewolves with set up being done draft style.

Rage_Incarnate
03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
I've played a fair amount of Nightfall and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. My opinion of the game has changed a lot from game to game, but sometimes I feel it's just a little too chaotic. It has some really interested innovations to the genre, but not sure if they're executed the best. And 1v1 is pretty terrible.

Kazamaru
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Hmm, interesting...well, I like Dominion, let's see how good this turns out.

Cheers!

Plodolo
03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I can't wait!!! I love dominion and I love Penny Arcade!!! I'm getting this and their boardgame!

citizen
03-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Nightfall wanted to innovate, which is fine and all, but they tried to add 2 too many things. The game is messy as a result. Most obvious problem: It's not always easy to figure out which cards are in play and which ones are "on the chain." That shoulda been caught in testing.

houjix
03-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Nightfall wanted to innovate, which is fine and all, but they tried to add 2 too many things. The game is messy as a result. Most obvious problem: It's not always easy to figure out which cards are in play and which ones are "on the chain." That shoulda been caught in testing.

They recommend in the rule book to place you chain cards at a 45 degree angle to the rest of your cards. Biggest problem I have with it is apparently targets are chosen when a cards resolves, not when they are placed on the chain as most TCGers would think. A fact that isn't spelled out clearly in the rulebook.

maiku23
04-26-2011, 07:54 AM
As a retailer, I can not see the strength of the Penny Arcade brand being able to carry this product. Thereby, I can not even begin to consider the solicitations from distributors for pre-orders without a little knowledge of the game. Unfortunately I can not find a whisper to anything of the game mechanics. And this game was announced over a month ago, and there is still no entry on BGG? If the only available information is the branding, and the branding is failing to generate buzz - you have quite the uphill battle ahead of you.

kirkwb
04-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Hrm, have you seen this? I'll go submit it to BGG for a couple gold right now, since you say it's not there, but I've not really seen any more info than this on soon to be released games on BGG.

http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/penny-arcade-deckbuilding-game

Welcome to the world of Penny Arcade, the top web comic for all things gaming. So, it's only fitting that Penny Arcade gets its own deckbuilding game. Players will select cards from a communal pool. You've followed the way of the warrior, the story of the Cardboard Tube Samurai. You too wept with Charles over the lack of Halo on the Macintosh. Now rally them together to build your perfect deck.

Players will take from a shared group of cards representing icons from the Penny Arcade world, each character possessing a unique power. Draw from your deck and play out those familiar faces, using their powers to add new characters to your deck. Earn victory points and defeat your opponents.

Keep checking www.Cryptozoic.com for more information as we get closer to the release date!

PRODUCT DETAILS:

Release Date: TBA
Ages: 15+
Number of players: 2 to 6
Playing time: 30 minutes
MSRP: TBA

kirkwb
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Now added to the BGG database.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97803/penny-arcade-deck-building-game#weblinks

If any of you CZE guys want to share some info on who was on the design team, I'll add them as designers to the entry (and add them to the designer database if they aren't already in there).

I don't like to upload photos unless I've taken them myself, but if I have permission I'll add the marketing release photos as they become available on your site.