Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attracting and long term motivation for people new to TCGs

Devoted Emissary

Attracting and long term motivation for people new to TCGs

Hello fellow Hex fans,

this will not be the typical rant about lack of updates, players that want everything for free, elitism or cards that are bugged since the stone ages.

Somehow the mood in these forums and ingame has slightly shifted in the last few weeks, but that is usually something that happens, when a beta game goes stale for a while or moves into more public territory.

So I have made myself some thoughts about how to improve the experience playing Hex for people who are new to the genre without the hardcore crowd calling foul!

Please, before you give me your (hopefully constructive) critisism in return, read all of my thoughts, as I believe, they present a nice opportunity for this game to grow, but it is still a very raw version of thoughts.

As I am fairly new to TCGs myself, I still backed Hex for Collector, as I liked the theme of the game and enjoyed Cory's kickstarter video that much, that I felt the urge to back, even without any knowledge about TCGs.

The concept of a PVE / PVP hybrid seemed to offer me a huge variety of experiences and also it seemed like a nice entry ticket into the scary complex world of TCGs.

Right now, there is not much to do for new players, that are scared to spend money on a game, that is still in beta status and fighting a huge lawsuit, some are just scared not to be able to compete and get a bad experience by being crushed over and over for their money and some others simply do not want to spend money at the game yet, as they need to find out if it is their cup of tea at all.

Nothing controversial yet, I hope

So I thought about, what could be a proper way to motivate people to log into the game, make new experience without shuffeling valueable cards up their bottoms, while other people have paid/played a lot. I will not talk about how much you can get out of "x" investment if your "y" good, as it is not part of this debate, I believe.

I have looked at other sucessful f2p games and what makes them accesible.

HERE STARTS THE PART OF MY THOUGHT TRAIN:

Let's play Blizzard a little and have a look at other games and adapt the things that work well there and refine and improve them for our own game

For example, League Of Legends has one feature, that makes it attractive for all sorts of people without handing out power:

The free champion rotation.

For those unfamiliar with that moba, every week the player gets to play 10 champions that he can buy for money or by playing the game, and after this week they are out of his available pool and exchanged by 10 new champions.

The result is, that the player can test different champs and then buy the ones he likes, either by paying or by playing the game. That makes new players return, as they have a lot of different champs, equaling in different roles to play, multiple playsets and strategies at hand.

How can we translate something like that to Hex?
    My goals are the following:

- offer new players some diversity in gameplay
    - making them comfortable with the games different card mechanics
    - introducing them to races, archetypes, etc.
    - not handing out raw power, rather creating a bigger sandbox for them to grow and learn
    - whatever they get, it is only temporary

So, my basic solution would be to offer a bi-weekly or weekly set of themed cards to new players, only as a loan, and make it reasonable.

Think 30 cards, in different themes, that consist of 2 rares, 8 uncommons and 20 commons for example. Maybe half of them out of the actual set and half of them out of the last set.

This way, players can combine those cards with their starter kits, to find creative new ways for them to handle things, and experience different playstyles first hand in the proving grounds.

Maybe one week they get offered a bunch of cards that favor aggro play, next week a very artifact deck, the week after they get to know the concept of milling, etc.

That way, they get nothing overpowered for free, yet get to know the game and have an incentive to log in over and over again, to get more knowledge, to find out, which playstyle they prefer and once they got more knowledge you can be sure as hell that people buy in a little to complete their first playset out of cards they enjoyed while they were usuable for free.

I see no real downside in this, but maybe I think to narrow minded. Please share your thoughts, and please keep them constructive and show them how great this community was from the start, as I got to know you guys as very helpful and clever guys that have passion for the same product and like to exchange thoughts to create awesomeness and not to bash each others oppinons.

Thanks for your attention, if you read all my text, feel hugged

PS: I hope, you can follow my thoughts well, as I had a long and hard day and feel really tired. Also, English is not my mother tongue, so please forgive my strange expressions or the usual typo here and there...
    Last edited by Blowfeld; 09-12-2014 at 02:32 PM.

It's certainly an interesting concept, would need a lot of polishing to be feasible, but... I'd think it has merit.
    I am Lockon, of Grandhelm, great fort of the Ardent. Don't mind the crumbling walls, the place is old and kind of decrepit, and we don't get any money from the military. And... I might be squatting in it.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockon View Post
    It's certainly an interesting concept, would need a lot of polishing to be feasible, but... I'd think it has merit.
    Yeah, that's why I simply throw the basic idea into the room, as I am sure there are a lot of TCG experts stalking the forums this weekend, who can give their imput and either show that my ideas are absolutely terrible or maybe shape that piece of coal into a diamond by telling their own thoughts how to improve the idea.

That's the thing I like about good communities. They create ideas and solutions and not negativity

Master of Gifs
    This kind of feature wouldn't be too different from the deck-loaning feature that may be coming in the future. I don't think this is a bad idea at all. In fact, I would even go so far as to say it could possibly replace the free starter that comes with new accounts altogether. Just give everyone a loaner starter deck, let them modify it with any cards they acquire and own, but after a week the loaned cards go away unless they've purchased/acquired their own replacement cards. Next week, give them the next loaner deck of the week, rinse repeat. Maybe even give them a couple decks to try out each week from two different play styles.

Devoted Emissary
    Hm,

well, learned something new. Did not know that a deck loaning feature was already in the works. How exactly do they plan it? Are there articles regarding that topic so I can catch up?

Interesting idea. It has some potential, but also sounds a little high-maintenance on the development side.

Something that has been mentioned before is the idea of a member of your guild posting a deck that can be borrowed by other members for them to try out in non-tournament PvP. I think implementing that would help a lot in the same ways your suggestion would. Give players variety without investment, while also encouraging them to integrate themselves into the community.

EDIT: Zophie is a ninja
    Last edited by Scammanator; 09-12-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    IGN: Magic

Member of The Unnamed Council- the Hex TCG PvE Guild

The Transcended
    Very cool idea! I haven't thought through the implications much, but this sounds like pure genius to me.

Monthly rotation of phantom decks that are choose from constructed tournament winners for the last month. They can't be used for anything but the proving grounds, but new players get a taste of what the game is capable of and something to work for.

Master of Gifs
    Quote Originally Posted by Scammanator View Post
    EDIT: Zophie is a ninja
    Actually, I'm a pirate, YARR!!!

The Transcended
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazelbain View Post
    Monthly rotation of phantom decks that are choose from constructed tournament winners for the last month. They can't be used for anything but the proving grounds, but new players get a taste of what the game is capable of and something to work for.
    Hey, then it could even be automated. Even better! Cool ideas, guys.