Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameforge's pricing policy on platinum

Gameforge's pricing policy on platinum

Warning: This is a rant that applies to European and Asian players.
    To mods: If you think this post is inappropriate, please move it to the correct section or just delete it altogether.

So here's the rundown on pricing menu which we non-American players face:
    4.99 Euros - 700 plat
    9.99 Euros - 1,400 plat
    24.99 Euros - 3,500 plat
    49.99 Euros - 7,000 plat
    99.99 Euros - 14,000 plat

At first glance, the structure seems fair. But if you look at this closely, you'll see that if someone on a tight budget were to purchase 700 plat each on 20 instances (for 14,000 plat), he/she would actually need to pay only 99.80 Euros instead of 99.99 Euros.

So my question to Gameforge submitted in July 2015 was:
    Why should I be penalised for wanting to purchase a higher amount of plat in order to support the game that I love?

The support staff did reply that they forward my "suggestion" to the "correct department".
    I thought, "Fair enough, I'll wait for the top management to act."

But, as of today, 16-Jan-2016, I'm disappointed to announce that the situation remains unchanged after like, 6 months.

Guys, do you think my expectations are fair, or am I nit-picking here?

I'm sorry for the lack of screenshots to back up my claims, but the system wouldn't allow me to insert images.

The Transcended
    Yeah, it's dumb and has been from Day 1. USD has the same problem. Ultimately it's just a few pennies though.

The much bigger problem is that they have not maintained their stated policy of pegging prices to USD. They set their initial prices based on the exchange rate in 2014, which was something like 1.4:1. Now that it's more like 1:1 it desperately needs to be updated.

One such thread for reference:
    http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=45577
    Last edited by Yoss; 01-15-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Master of Gifs
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    The much bigger problem though is that they have not maintained their stated policy of pegging prices to USD. They set their initial prices based on the exchange rate in 2014, which was something like 1.4:1. Now that it's more like 1:1 it desperately needs to be updated.
    ^ This is indeed the much bigger issue. I've stopped buying larger amounts of plat until we get an answer/resolution to this, and will be disappointed if it's not resolved when Set 4 comes out and I'm ready to blow a chunk of my tax return on plat.

Time Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoss View Post
    They set their initial prices based on the exchange rate in 2014, which was something like 1.4:1. Now that it's more like 1:1 it desperately needs to be updated.
    This was always a problem with computer games and currencies.
    In nearly all cases Europeans payed more and now that Americans have to pay more once they all whine about it, so I think it is ok to keep it as it is, so they don't have to react to every change in exchange rates...

Yhwa that the 99.99€ option is more expensive than the smaller options is stupid,but in an older thread someone said it's a small fee, so one don't have to go threw the payment process multiple times.

Master Theorycrafter
    I'm not sure if I'm not understanding correctly, but am I understanding that for every 100 euro purchase, you're losing out on .19 euros, aka the equivalent of 21 cents? If this is the essence of the complaint, then I think they probably have more important things to change. If you can afford to spend 100 euros multiple times for platinum, then I don't think the loss of .19 euros is really that big a deal. :P

I asked this day one. I pointed out every online game I know of except Hex (Puzzle and Dragons, TOR, etc.) give you a bonus for buying IGC in bulk, not a penalty. The response I got from Hex Ent was a shrug. The response I got from the community was heckling that if I wanted to waste my time buying small amount to save a few pennies, I could go right ahead. It is the reason I have only purchased Plat once (technically ten times in a row) to get the new VIP.

Ninja'd; there it is (though Adam at least is somewhat polite about it).

It's poor customer service for sure and I'm disappointed that it hasn't been corrected. Regardless, it's a really, really minor issue. More of a curiosity than a problem.

I feel Gameforge should care more about this than us, tbh.

Hey guys, to be fair gameforge pointed this out to me when we set up pricing and I was the one that made the call to basically ignore the fact that you pay 19 eurocents more if you buy in bulk. Contrary to what CS told you, this is unlikely to change.

The reason why we don't discount bulk purchases is that we decided to not play that game. We could have set that up, but the reality would have been is that it would have been 100 plat per 1USD at the top end. It's not like the base line would have been at 100 plat per 1USD and then you would have gotten a discount for buying more. Maybe it was the wrong decision, since people tend to be very used to a bulk discount, but we're pretty far down the current path that I think a change now would not resonate well with players.

In before the follow up questions about currency purchasing power discrepancies: I am not happy with those and continue to work with our publisher to change that, but at this time I don't have anything to report.
    Last edited by Chark; 01-16-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chark View Post
    Maybe it was the wrong decision, since people tend to be very used to a bulk discount, but we're pretty far down the current path that I think a change now would not resonate well with players.
    First, the game is still in beta and has a relatively small fan base. Better to change it now.
    Second, yes, some people will whine it you made the change. But some people are going to whine about any change. And part of that would depend on how you change it.
    Third, there is no maybe about it. Both economics and psychology says if you charge more to buy more (at least consistently, not as part of a limited time sales trick), you are going to hurt your sales base. For every person like Adam who says it is only a few pennies, you get someone like me. Even worse, there are people like me who are penny wise pound foolish, in both PaD and TOR there have been a few times when I went straight for the highest exchange of ICG because it was a better deal, even though it was more than I needed.

Gigantisaur
    I like the setup as it is right now. It's a nice breeze that that price is stable and I very much enjoy that EUR prices have not been adjusted. Decades of being subject to currency exchange rates for my games (starting with RPGs and board games in the 80s) have seen me at the wrong end of the curve. Prices for US players have been stable - there is no change compared to your purchasing power there. It's just that the game is still as affordable as it was at the start for us - also at no change in terms of purchasing power. Changing it would drive many European players away from he game - and right now what we want is more players, don't we?
    Dungeon Crawler / Collector / Raid Leader

Keep Hibbernathy - Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild @HexTUC
    Running: TUC Arena of Myth Challenge Can you do a perfect 20-0 run with every single champion? Working on #32