Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

UK National Qualifiers Proxies

Today I played In UK Nats and didn't do very successful but I was on table 9 in one game and was annoyed to find out during the game my opponent ended the game with a proxied Violet Proto-Drake, which is one of the additional crafting cards which won the game for my opponent. So I asked the top judge and he said he was totally against this but then the other 2 judges that were there said that there was a couple of players which were using the additional crafting cards as proxies because they had been promised that they would have them for Nats but they were let down. this frustrated me because surely at a tournament which is as important as Nats then you should play with the cards you have and not replicas. is there a certain rule or was this acceptable to do ?
    Thanks, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottdogs View Post
    Today I played In UK Nats and didn't do very successful but I was on table 9 in one game and was annoyed to find out during the game my opponent ended the game with a proxied Violet Proto-Drake, which is one of the additional crafting cards which won the game for my opponent. So I asked the top judge and he said he was totally against this but then the other 2 judges that were there said that there was a couple of players which were using the additional crafting cards as proxies because they had been promised that they would have them for Nats but they were let down. this frustrated me because surely at a tournament which is as important as Nats then you should play with the cards you have and not replicas. is there a certain rule or was this acceptable to do ?
    Thanks, Scott
    They set a precedent for allowing a player to proxy Jaral of Gilneas at the recent DMF. I'm guessing that these players called ahead or something and asked if they could get the crafting cards, and the crafting cards went out of stock (or arrived late), so the judges made a call and said they can proxy those cards since they couldn't provide them at the event.

That's just my speculation, though.
    Michael Lum
    Skyhaven Games
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    http://skyhavengames.proboards.com/
    skyhavenvictoria@shaw.ca
    CZEV: #127 - Judge Level 2
    I write freelance about the WoW TCG. Please let me know if you'd like me to write something for you!

Thanks for that But I just find it unfair when a proxied card wins the game but that's just my opinion, I just want to know if there is official ruling for this or whether its allowed to happen.
    but thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by scottdogs View Post
    Thanks for that But I just find it unfair when a proxied card wins the game but that's just my opinion, I just want to know if there is official ruling for this or whether its allowed to happen.
    but thanks again
    According to the documents, you can't use proxies. According to the same documents, the head judge's word is the final word (at least, to my understanding). So...yeah, if he said they could, they could.
    Michael Lum
    Skyhaven Games
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    http://skyhavengames.proboards.com/
    skyhavenvictoria@shaw.ca
    CZEV: #127 - Judge Level 2
    I write freelance about the WoW TCG. Please let me know if you'd like me to write something for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhaven_Games View Post
    According to the documents, you can't use proxies. According to the same documents, the head judge's word is the final word (at least, to my understanding). So...yeah, if he said they could, they could.
    This should not have happened. They players should have been required to replace them with another card.
    Jennifer Dery
    @Legenndery

Hi, I'm the current HJ of this event (which has just finished day 1). I was disappointed in the prescedence set by CZE officials in making these decisions as it directly circumvents written tournament policies. As written in 3.3, HJ has final say in whether proxies are allowed due to extenuating circumstances. With this in mind it would have been courteous for CZE to recommend rather than impose this permission of proxies into the event (which I only found out in Round 4) I was going to take this up privately with CZE officials rather than go public, but I feel I need to express my opinion to show how I have felt undermined in the situation. Having to explain a contraversial decision (which I had no say in) to several opponents at a high level event is not good PR under any circumstances.

The head judge said that he was against it but the 2 other judges said they could but he was against it still and said that he would follow this up but he Didn't make the call so I'm not sure

Yeah I think we should of been told earlier in the event and I appreciate your help when I asked about the situation. Will this go any further or is it finished and that's it?
    Thanks anyway though

The decision I had to go with was to allow the proxies as it would be a disservice to the players that were informed otherwise. If I was notified of the situation prior to the start of the event, there was a chance I would have not allowed proxies and happily be accountable to CZE for my actions. Overiding a CZE decision that deep into an event brings politicial implications that I was not willing to risk and instead I had to resort to damage limitation. I think I did speak to you today scottjohns and I hope responses here help towards some degree of validation and again I personally apologise for my contribution in the situation.

yeah thanks for all you did, and I suppose it was too far into the event to change the ruling.
    I think you made the right choice in the end.
    thank you very much for the follow up