Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Proxy Cards in a Sanctioned Event

I have been running Battlegrounds Events and getting back into WoW TCG for the last 3 months. We have a good group that has grown to a steady 14 to 16 folks showing up every week with at least 1 to 2 new players joining us at least every other week. Group is calm, enjoys itself, and loves the prize support. The group is very casual and easy going. An old player that has not been to any events hosted by me or the store these past months having a history of being disruptive to the point to be asked to leave by the store owner in the past returned last night. This player by just showing up caused extreme aggravation in the group and concern for me. Trying to be positive and take a different path during the first round there were problems. We were playing Classic Constructed this person had made proxy cards using index cards with a WoW card sleeved with it calling it legal. This person did have 2 of said card in deck so now in theory he had a play set. This caused problems. I could not find anything regarding this last night or today. This person was also shuffling funny and trying to ready and reuse cards that he just used in the current turn which created additional problems. Customer ridiculed folks using (legally) Throne of the Tides decks stating they were spamming him on purpose. Needless to say the Manager of the store asked him to leave because he was being disruptive and upsetting other customers as well as folks in tournament. So long story short can "Proxy Cards" be used in a sanctioned tournament? Can I rule even if they are legal that they are not allowed in the current event? Do I as Judge and TO have the right to refuse players that have a history of being disruptive that they can not play in tournament ran or Judged by me? It got very heated last night and I do not want that happening again. Thanks
    Lady Maureen

Gigantisaur
    No proxy cards are not allowed. Yes you can refuse players and disqualify them. It is in the Penalty Guidelines. http://www.cryptozoic.com/downloads/...guidelines.pdf
    Nova Scotia LCG Hub

Star Wars: The Card Game Podcast - Table Flip - Facebook

Thank You!!!

I have a really good group last night was very uncomfortable.
    Lady Maureen

Gigantisaur
    If you are going to be a judge I strongly recommend getting familiar with the penalty guidelines. Hopefully you never need it but it is good to have a knowledge of what it entails.
    Nova Scotia LCG Hub

Unfortunately or Fortunately we have a very young group along with older players and seasoned players. We are all learning all the time. I have taken a group that maybe had 3 or 4 consistent weekly players and turned it in to the largest group that meet on a weekly basis in the San Antonio and Austin Area. This person has been an on going problem for years at the Store and has been banned in the past by the owner. The ban was lifted as long as he "behaves" himself. He likes to cause problems and friction. Of course the day I did not to bring my Lap Top that has all the WoW TCG info on it was the day for drama. Our first meet up of any Battlegrounds event month is always a classic 4 round Swiss unless there is a release or other event going on. We take votes go over plans of what the players want to see happen in the next month along with reviewing the current score card. So lesson learned for me will have lap top up and running that has all the rules and such (so thankful for edit/find) so it can easily be referenced if need be. The regular group is well versed in what is going on when we meet. Everyone in our group gets an outline at the beginning of each Battleground Month what we are doing each month so they know what to expect and how to prepare. This player was given the monthly outline and was briefed. I also need to make sure all old players coming back to the game understand that it is a "Sanctioned Event" on Saturdays and what that means. Really think this guy was up to his old tricks and took advantage of the Store Owner being on Vacation. Thanks Again for the information and the link.
    Lady Maureen

For battleground events, the use of proxy cards is determined by the store/to itself.

I allow my group to proxy cards for battlegrounds even sanctioned ones to test decks and see if they are wanting to build/buy/trade for these cards.

It's always been well received and never had any problems. people also don't abuse it, only doing it for cards they really will get.
    Level 2 Judge
    Champion of the Black Flame CZEV# 377
    Looking for a place to play near Downers Grove? Fair Game WoW TCG Tuesdays 6pm-10pm

Writer and Creator of www.MyWoWTCG.com
    -We are always looking for Submissions and Good Writers

I get that and if that person had that intent he should have made it known not whip out sleeved index cards with red writing on them in game play calling them a proxy. He was able to get 12 infractions in just 2 rounds. That just might be a record. Store only allows "Proxy Cards" in casual play not in Sanctioned Tournament. This guy is not a regular for my group and has a long history of creating friction and problems.
    Lady Maureen

Gigantisaur
    I would say you are better off without that person.
    Nova Scotia LCG Hub

Agreed! I have such a young group don't need a bad apple spoiling it for everyone else. By the way I am having a real hard time getting membership cards. I have requested them twice online, emailed, and left phone messages. Any ideas and yes I have gone to other stores. We are all having a problem getting cards. Is there a way to get them registered online and generate a membership that way? Thanks Again for all your help!
    Lady Maureen

Master Theorycrafter
    If I were you, I'd talk to the store owner, and when next this player comes around the two of you together just let me know not to come back.

On an almost unrelated note, I have seen two uses of the word proxy. One I find acceptible, and one I don't usually. The one I don't like (except for pure testing, and people need to know that's what is happening up front) is using cards you don't own. The one I am mostly ok with is when you use the word proxy to mean you have a card representing a card you DO own, but which is not for some reason playable. Such as it got water damaged and you can tell it from other cards in the deck by look or feel. In that case, I would say the damaged card needs to be presented to validate the proxy.