Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Devoted Emissary

Input from players to the community forbidden?

Dear cryptozoic

I have several questions I'd like to ask.

First the introduction to the problem.

I play the wow tcg at a local hobbystore, after some time I brought about 8 new players to the game.
    However, the store owner his brother is a champion of the black flame, organizer and a level 1 judge.

The problem:

A few days ago I went to the store with a proposal, since we start to get more than a handful of really active players I wanted to organize a weekly draft.
    With the following system.
    Players pay for the boosters and an additional 2 euros. That money would go into a bank and once there's enough we could buy some extra prize support in a big tournament.

The answer of the shop:

Screw you, I am the organizer. I don't agree. NO

The other problem,

Almost 99% of their events is crap. People buy tons of cards there. Like really huge amounts.
    But only very rarely you can go play there with your own decks...
    It always has to be with crap we need to buy...
    Nonetheless they are also extremely greedy with prize support.

A few of the new players I brought to the store, already abandoned the game shortly after.

My question to you guys.

If I could find a location to have events, tournaments and weekly or 2-weekly drafts. Can they be legal? Can there be a way that I can award players with honor points etc...
    They are the only shop in this region here. And it's kinda sad...
    So many people want to build on this community...
    They refuse!

Really hoping for a fast response, and thanks
    "I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was akin to a slow death."

Anyone can sanction and run local level events. All you need to do is go to wowtcg.com/to and take the tournament organizer test there and you'll be all set up to schedule and upload your own events. You might not be able to get the battleground prize support kits though, that would be up to Cryptozoic. Generally they prefer to send them out to physical stores so they know people aren't just turning around and selling them, but I have heard of exceptions.
    Things to do at WonderCon: Be Cory Jones.

Old FAQs, courtesy of Bernado

Devoted Emissary
    Awesome, I just did the test and succeeded.

I will now try to figure out how to run everything. And see if it would be possible for players and so on.
    "I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was akin to a slow death."

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRider View Post
    Anyone can sanction and run local level events. All you need to do is go to wowtcg.com/to and take the tournament organizer test there and you'll be all set up to schedule and upload your own events. You might not be able to get the battleground prize support kits though, that would be up to Cryptozoic. Generally they prefer to send them out to physical stores so they know people aren't just turning around and selling them, but I have heard of exceptions.
    So just to make sure I am following you on this BlueRider, as a TO I could organize events on my own and run them at say my local college instead of always at our local store. I would probably not get the kits etc but in all other aspects the event would be fully legal and sanctioned ?
    Nova Scotia LCG Hub

Star Wars: The Card Game Podcast - Table Flip - Facebook

Yup, the only restrictions are that you need to have them scheduled through the TO website in advance and you can't turn people away within reason, ie. you've exceeded maximum capacity or they have been banned from the venue or whatnot. The last is mainly so you don't get people "running" lots of tournaments to build up honor and such without actually running a real tournament.
    Things to do at WonderCon: Be Cory Jones.

Old FAQs, courtesy of Bernado

Gigantisaur
    Interesting and awesome. Thanks for the info.
    Nova Scotia LCG Hub

Star Wars: The Card Game Podcast - Table Flip - Facebook

Devoted Emissary
    So I probably found a location and a shop who wants to help after they received numerous complaints about the tcg shop that is in the same city.

If all goes well, we will be @ the start of 2012 up and running.

Thanks for the advice here, I hope Cryptozoic will help us with prize-support even if there is another shop near who get's it atm... However I really feel like opening my book about that shop and tell Cryptozoic what is really going on

Not to detract from your thread, is there a limit on the number of sanctioned events you can run per week? I know I have had a few folks express interest in playing multiple times a week in addition to our battlegrounds.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by behemothdan View Post
    Not to detract from your thread, is there a limit on the number of sanctioned events you can run per week? I know I have had a few folks express interest in playing multiple times a week in addition to our battlegrounds.
    You should probably make a new thread, but yes it is One Battleground per Day. So Technically, you could have 7 a week.
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/MASUABI1.png
    Lvl 1 Judge & TO CZE Number: 10-152-066

I find it hard to believe that the store owner would actually use the words: "Screw you". Also, am confused as to why you aren't allowed to play with your own decks; do you mean to say your store runs a lot of limited (draft/sealed) events?

I would actually approach your store again in a calm and collected manner and talk it over with them. It's hard to believe that they're as evil as you seem to be portraying them.

Most stores are willing to change when they understand that it will affect the way their business (bottom line) will operate, so if you're intending to set something up somewhere else, perhaps you should explain your concerns and your alternate solution to the owner in order to encourage a better community.

Just my thoughts on that.
    Michael Lum
    Skyhaven Games
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    http://skyhavengames.proboards.com/
    skyhavenvictoria@shaw.ca
    CZEV: #127 - Judge Level 2
    I write freelance about the WoW TCG. Please let me know if you'd like me to write something for you!