Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box design

Determined Zombie

Box design

I just picked up Rumble in R’lyeh and was disappointed that there were no improvements to the layout of the box or any card dividers. I have 7 different deck building games and Penny Arcade has the worst box out of all of them by far. I hope that future expansions and the upcoming Warcraft game fix this issue

Thanks for the feedback.
    Can you let us know what issues you are having beyond lack of dividers?
    Please let us know if you are sleeving or not and if you are trying to fit the two sets into one box.
    Patrick Dillon
    Cryptozoic Game Brand Management

Determined Zombie
    I would say the lack of dividers is the largest problem. Keeping the cards organized and easy to locate is essential for deck building games. Since there are no dividers having the sections and center display more specific would have been an option that would have worked as well. I don’t sleeve the cards and I understand that space must be available for those that want to but for those that don’t there is an excess of space and some foam pads would have been nice for the red and green sections. I have now put both sets in one box and since I dont sleeve thats not been an issue.

Runt of the Litter
    Now I wouldn't say that Gamers vs. Evil/Rumble in R'lyeh has the worst box design, but I can agree with you that it's certainly not the most elegant. And yes, I completely agree that dividers would be of huge help to set-up and general organization.

So I made some.

I decided to make dividers similar to the ones found in Tanto Cuore using some index cards I had lying around; taking four index cards, cutting them to size and then sticking them together with double-sided tape to give each divider a fair thickness.

I then scanned each type of card and adjusted the hue and saturation of the scans to create color-coded labels. These were also cut down and placed on their respective separator.

Runt of the Litter

With a clear label and divider for each stack, I now keep everything in alphabetical order making set-up a hell lot easier.

Runt of the Litter
    I also quickly Photoshop'd labels for the bosses.

The dividers now also act as a convenient bottom for each stack when playing, making a game look something like this:

Runt of the Litter

So they're not the best-looking dividers and it's certainly not the most elegant solution, but it works for me. It didn't take too long to make and set-up/clean-up is now a breeze. In summation, I feel like there are a ton of simple solutions the owner can apply to remedy this problem, even something as simple as placing a piece of paper between each stack.

And sorry for the multi-post. Kind of wanted all my photos to be placed in and I had to dance around the four image limit somehow.

RJPelonia- can you please share the file you used to create the dividers? I would love to make some! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by endlsdremr View Post
    RJPelonia- can you please share the file you used to create the dividers? I would love to make some! Thanks!
    I am too impatient, lol. Taking the idea RJ had, I have made my own dividers using card stock I had laying around the house. I used a free comic book font I found on dafont.com and printed the names on sticker paper. I colored the fonts green and red for the different classes and Viola! (I will download pics as soon as I can figure out how to get the file size requirement met).
    Last edited by endlsdremr; 07-26-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Still can't upload my image