Overpowered Cards

Hey guys, I'm just posting a quick list of the cards me and my group have decided to ban from play and why. If you have more and would like to debate any, please feel free to discuss. All on the list were taken after MANY MANY games. None were taken out by whim, but what we truly felt broke the game when they were in play:

-Bat Milk - This card is an interesting concept, but on the whole, every game that had Bat Milk was quickly decided by who was able to buy them the fastest. I understand that Cryptozoic has come out with a errata about this card, but we felt that with the gimped effect, the card essentially became useless. So either way, this card was one extreme or the other, and not worth having in play.

-Scout Master - There are some strong Bosses in the game, but between the expansion and the base set, this guy really stand out. In the core game, he was powerful, but we didn't feel like he completely broke the game. He had the power to make people hesitate to buy bosses because it was quite possible for the SM to get 2 bosses on their next turn. However, there were still counters such as high Pax Pox games. Now, with the introduction of Gold Cards, we felt he just got way out of hand. A properly-built SM deck, with high draw power (Oh god, with Diabolus' especially) was able to consistently buy Gold Bosses way before any other player, while continuing to ramp the other colors.

-Game Face - I don't think Gold Cards quite worked out in general the way they were intended. But that's a discussion for another time. Here, we have Game Face, which can be bought on average of about turn 4 or 5. After that turn, you are guranteed a boss every time you draw it, hands-down. Gold, Red, Green, all quite viable buys here. The fact is, because Gold Cards count as both Red and Green, and by this time you have accumulated a lot of Mage Fish or Diabolus (because they are easy to get), you have now, in 1 turn, drawn or trimmed your deck, and are activating GF so you get a guranteed Boss Loot. +4 +4 is just way too high for only having 3 of the other colors with so much drawing power.

Please Note: I LOVE THIS GAME AND AM NOT BASHING IT. I mean seriously, these are 3 cards out of 26 or whatever that we still feel are OK for regular gameplay! This is after A LOT of arguments and games in which these cards were featured. Again, if you disagree or feel like you have something to add, please say so! I'd love to hear from other perspectives that would maybe allow us to play with these cards, as limiting the game always sucks.

These are good points and further debate is welcome. While I agree with several of your findings, here are a couple of counterpoints:

Bat Milk: Even with the errata, early deletion/card draw can be very good.

Scout Master: This ability typically doesn't kick in until the 2nd half of the game, so the other players will have reaped the benefits of their Hero cards for ~8 turns before you get to do anything. Can be hard to catch up.

Game Face: If there is card draw and if there isn't competition for it, you are very right that it is often too good.

You might want to avoid certain combinations of cards from appearing together, instead of completely banning some cards. Sounds like you have played so much that you've unlocked all of the secrets!
    Matt Hyra
    Cryptozoic R&D

Batmilk is my favorite card, partly because of it's opportunity to be OP... however, more often than not, it's just as good or bad as any other card. For instance, no matter how many green cards and batmilks I have, I simply cannot compete to my girlfriend being able to kill everything, and racking up all the red cards while I'm trying desperately to keep up by going after green bosses.

It should be noted, I still don't have Rumble... so "batmilk is my favorite card" is based just on the base set.

It does get worse with RiR because of cards like Kittens and Ann'ika...and Gold Cards lmao. If you build your deck right, you should be drawing your deck almost every hand if you're the only one with Green. So every turn you should be drawing a boss loot. It's really just a matter of getting to your draw cards and World's Biggest Grape or Werewolf with a Tophat. Or hey, if you buy RCA, you get to draw 2 cards every time she attacks, plus it takes care of its own space on your turn! Even the 2+ is plenty if you build them up early. Think about it, that means if you are the only one going green, you only need to draw 4 +2's. With Bat Milk, you can delete 2 cards every turn (all those Pax Pox no longer matter, no Red cards in your deck), while still potentially drawing +2's or more Bat Milk! See, the problem with the card really stems from the sheer amount of potential it has. A deck with 3 or 4 Bat Milks deleting Red's early is incredibly powerful as long as you still purchase some +2's along the way, building to +3's. Again, if we're talking RiR, could be +4. That's when it gets ridiculous XD.

Just got RiR the other day, but have not had a chance to play it yet. Looking through the stuff, though, the character "Tranquil Tycho" seems overpowered as you could potentially get a green boss on turn 1.

Runt of the Litter
    Quote Originally Posted by sivartalappes View Post
    Looking through the stuff, though, the character "Tranquil Tycho" seems overpowered as you could potentially get a green boss on turn 1.
    Seems overpowered? Maybe. IS overpowered? Not at all.

If he was guaranteed to get a Green Boss Loot every initial turn, then yeah, totally, you kidding me, that's effed up. But it's not guaranteed. Pretty rare draw, in fact.

I feel like you could very quickly make it happen every turn though... he only has 4 cardboard tubes... so get any card that lets you delete cards (faeiry candymancer for instance) and within a few short turns, BAM, green boss every turn.

He's quite strong if played right (and yes, a bit of luck), but not Over powered, particularly due to his difficulty of getting gold cards. You see, the initial list I provided consists of cards that are CONSISTENTLY overplayed or overpowered. There's a bit too much of a luck factor with TT. As long as other people go for Green Bosses, his point spread depletes. Red card VP's add up, Gold as well. So his strength really comes from that turn 1 Boss (yes, I've seen it happen) and keeping that going fast enough so that nobody else is able to keep up. That's where his luck comes in. Either you're playing with people who don't try to deny him points, or go for Gold strength.