Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Turn 3-player game with WW - What do I pick?

I got the game last weekend and have been playing constantly ever since, introducing it to all my gaming group in various game sizes. We tend towards multi-player games (though my preference for DC is 1v1) and the following situation came up today. We're playing 3-man: Me starting with WW, Aquaman to my left and Batman going third.

My opening hand is 4 Punches & 1 Weakness. We flip:
    Nth Metal
    Penguin
    Arkham Asylum
    Lobo
    Supergirl

My general game plan is an early Nth Metal except if there's an obviously better card for my Super-Hero. What I really want here is to finish with Lobo in my deck and Pengiun to churn through faster to find him more often. As a long term game plan, it's much more solid than Nth Metal. What I'd settle for is essentially everything except Supergirl (though she's a short-cut to Lobo).

Had I been going second or third the choice would have been much easier as my line of play would have been dictated by Nth Metal being gone.

Between Penguin (that will trigger WW and make my deck spin that much faster) and Nth Metal, I took the Metal.

What would you have done here?

For the record, Batman got a fast start and the Lobo anyway and proceeded to destroy us: 2x Super Strength, Man of Steel, 2x Power Ring and an early Darkseid kill allowed him to make his deck stupidly small and churn through it in 2 hands.

1st turn always play off your ability. Thats my opinion anyway.

to be honest... that board sucks. Seeing as how u had 4/1, i would take the penguin. This means u draw 3 power and 2 blanks, then u shuffle. The worst that could happen is you draw another blank, if so, you just cycled it out for your next hand. However, this allows you to possibly get the penguin to guarentee get 4 power with a chance at 5. This gives you more options for your second turn, where at batman is stuck (and will most likely take Nth metal if aquaman does not take it, which depends on the power he draws). Aquaman could alter his second hand from his ability too.

But having 4 power on turn 2 opens you for cards like bulletproof, the cape and the cowel, and suicide squad. 5 power hits locations, the 4 drop villain to gain 3 power, or just 2 cards such (whatever they may be).

Plus that early in the game, penguin is the one of the best cards to get. He cycles and beefs your hand most of the time.

I would have gone with Nth Metal as well. Your chances of destroying useless cards early is a great advantage for later in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssobaekil View Post
    to be honest... that board sucks. Seeing as how u had 4/1, i would take the penguin. This means u draw 3 power and 2 blanks, then u shuffle. The worst that could happen is you draw another blank, if so, you just cycled it out for your next hand. However, this allows you to possibly get the penguin to guarentee get 4 power with a chance at 5. This gives you more options for your second turn, where at batman is stuck (and will most likely take Nth metal if aquaman does not take it, which depends on the power he draws). Aquaman could alter his second hand from his ability too.

But having 4 power on turn 2 opens you for cards like bulletproof, the cape and the cowel, and suicide squad. 5 power hits locations, the 4 drop villain to gain 3 power, or just 2 cards such (whatever they may be).

Plus that early in the game, penguin is the one of the best cards to get. He cycles and beefs your hand most of the time.
    You see this is my doubt. My worst second turn hand would be 3P/3W which is a Kick. My best would be 3P/2W and the reshuffled Penguin which would essentially be a 5P/1W hand which allows me to buy Arkham Asylum on the second turn. The middle is also gas being a 4P/2W hand allowing either a decent 3-4 cost purchase or, at very worse, a kick which I'd have anyway with my 3P/3W hand. All this is obviously just based on the initial line-up and not what flops out after.

I'm fairly sure now I misplayed by taking the Nth Metal as Penguin into Arkham Asylum is a much stronger play for where I'd like my deck to go. It doesn't give me a better line of Lobo but does let me set it up. I'm not sure it would have been enough (being draw dependant) to have nabbed the Lobo before Batman in the actual game but I think it's what I should have done.

Lobo is not that good! By this i mean if he is on the board for the 1st line up, he isnt the card you should race to. The location does more over the long run. He is a nice pick, but build you deck before you want to start banishing a ton of cards. Nontheless if you happen to get 7 power, yes buy him. But if you have 7 power and any location hits the board (earlish in the game), you take the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssobaekil View Post
    Lobo is not that good! By this i mean if he is on the board for the 1st line up, he isnt the card you should race to. The location does more over the long run. He is a nice pick, but build you deck before you want to start banishing a ton of cards. Nontheless if you happen to get 7 power, yes buy him. But if you have 7 power and any location hits the board (earlish in the game), you take the location.
    agree with this 100%. I have played games that I let the fact that I got a location early dictate which way to build my deck.

...You can't count on a location coming out. There are so many cards in the MD, and only 5 or 6 locations, half of which would probably do you no good. Lobo is one of the better cards in the MD. Destruction is insanely important as it keeps your deck small. Being a 7 cost, you can build a bit before getting him, then get rid of all of your Vulnerabilities. Even if you just bought kicks up until that point, your pointspread for a hand is great compared to being weighed down with those Vulns! Not to mention, you should almost never have Weaknesses, because they will just be deleted later. Oh, and +3 power, why the hell not.

Now, as WW, you'd have a tough time here because Arkham would do wonders for you, but everyone should be going for Lobo, and maybe someone else to block your Arkham. If you get enough bad draws you can't get 5 that is.

The Fact is that he wants a response for this specific situation, which can transfer to different plays later too, and the fact is that there is a location on the board, as is lobo. Lobo is not a game changing card with the potential to just open up a game.

All the locations are no matter what. If you get 1 - 3 uses per deck cycle, thats still GREAT! However, WW will get one almost every turn later game, and penguin cycles to other things faster too.

The race to lobo does not matter. If you get 7, you buy it if there are no locations on the board OR "the dark knight, Man of steel, or Princess Diana" Those can change games due to the fact they CAN snag multiple cards for multiple VP's. The man of steel is the only consistent card in those. (Read 1v1 overpowered thread by me, i have issues with man of steel).

The Fact is, for the board, his / her opening hand, and the fact he went 1st.... the best play is penguin and to attempt to get the location either turn 2, or 3 as he / she has the best odds to snag it. Aquaman could get it if they opened with 2 power, or 3 power (buy kick), then draw 3 punches behind it. Id take my odds that ill get it though.

Ya, I agree with the choice for his specific board.

However, as far as locations are concerned, they are only really useful to those who make specific use of it. If I were Batman and Utility Belt and Arkham were on the board (no WW's), I would easily pick the Utility Belt. 5 VP's vs. 1 potential draw? I honestly think some of the best cards in MD are the "four other" cards, Green Arrow and Utility Belt, hell even Suicide Squad. 2^n VP's are worth more than locations to me. Between my group, we almost never get the MD down to 0, and it's probably due in part to this fact. We only really go for the cards that fit to our particular deck, not just filling up our decks with stuff because they have VP's. Maybe it's just the PA DBG in us (we have played that one to death), but going for Supervillains and high VP cards while keeping our decks small seems like the best strategy. By the end of the game, my buddy with Lobo and Bulletproof got his deck down to 15 cards, but was able to draw his entire deck, so a Supervillain every turn.