Rule Modifications

Hi,

We're not having a lot of luck winning this game as a survivor/Team Survivor, so we've started to modify the rules a bit to give us more of a chance. Modifications we've made, or are considering making, are:
    • Scrounge cards, like encounter cards, stay in play
    • No more encounters once Team Zombie is active
    • Fight with +1 if you have at least one ally

Any thoughts? Are we really bad players or is this game just really hard to win as a survivor?

The game is challenging to win with standard rules, and requires no small amount of luck between your hand of Scrounge cards, your Encounter draws, and of course your dice rolls. BUT, it's definitely doable. Your group may only win as Survivors 1/4 games, even less perhaps when you're first starting out.

That said, the modifications you've suggested above seem like they would completely turn the game into "easy mode"; especially the ongoing Scrounge cards. The reason they are one-time use is to recreate the feel of a minimal amount of resources available in a post-apoc world, and having "infinite ammo" on your shotgun would certainly decrease the threat to you and yours.
    Ryan Skinner

I agree about the scrounge cards very much altering the odds, as do the other rules, but even with all of the above (minus the 3rd one), we've still got nowhere near winning a game... The +1 w/ allies seems reasonable, and it seems odd that allies don't give you any advantage in a fight at the moment... still, we've only played 3 games so far, so if it's 1/4, then next time, next time...

When my group first started playing, we mis-read the rule about "surviving" the corner spaces. We (read as: I) thought it meant you had to successfully overcome both encounters you draw on the corners, or else you didn't collect the applicable card or move on come your next turn. Needless to say, we never won that way (but came very close once!).

Once we got the rules down things wen't a lot smoother and we started seeing the occasional survivor victory. Keep playing, you'll start to value certain strategies, when to use your scrounge cards, when not to, when to help your fellow survivors vs help yourself, etc. You'll get there.
    Ryan Skinner

It is challenging to win as a Survivor, but you can do it. I would not recommend to alter to these rules. It would be very easy. No encounter on teamplay would render the Sneak Zombie Card useless.

Try to hand out 3 allies instead of 2 on start, or 6 instead of 5 Scrounge Cards, if you want. That would be better, i think.

Skinner - it looks like we've made the same assumption. I'll re-read the rules - many tnx.