Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Story of HEX

I'm a map junkie - is there a map of Entrath somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRhodes View Post
    So I've read every page on the site and I'm digging what I see so far. All the races seem super cool, but what is the deal with Coyotle and controlling the weather? I assume that will be fleshed out more as it was the motive for the Shin'hare to go into extermination mode. Just wanted to ask, was such a tease.
    being a huge nation of constantly breeding wabbits I presume they wanted weather controll for their crops .
    as for the coyotle knowing how to do it, it seems obvious they are modeled after american indians ... which are known for doing the rain dance :P ... guess that's as much as I know xD for now sadly .

also seconding that map post above me <3
    love maps as well .
    "Kneel before me and repent!"

http://i.imgur.com/aeU4CXf.png

Quote Originally Posted by Thanisse View Post
    being a huge nation of constantly breeding wabbits I presume they wanted weather controll for their crops .
    as for the coyotle knowing how to do it, it seems obvious they are modeled after american indians ... which are known for doing the rain dance :P ... guess that's as much as I know xD for now sadly .

also seconding that map post above me <3
    love maps as well .
    That sounds like a good assumption to me. Seeing as how the Shin'hare are so violent I could see several uses for controlling the weather: fog before a battle to mask troops or, heck, a tornado to demolish the enemy. Anyway, this is all speculation, but I am seriously excited for more lore. Also, I'll add my vote to a map.
    "If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it." -Tolkien

We have a ton of maps done for the game ... of course, the one we don't have yet to show you is a 2D world map. We have a working 3D model of the world in the game right now, but it is still rough. Stay tuned ...

i feel like the shin'hare just want any advantage they can seize. imagine if you could storm's (xmen) powers were able to be passed on.

also i want more background on the necrotic, based on what i've read i'd say the humans are the side that erred. humans made the first move against the necrotic who were minding their own business. it could be said that the humans just struck first at what they saw as a threat, but then it's just a misunderstanding. the humans might see them as undead (the whole zombie apocalypse thing), but the necrotic are neither mindless nor retain any of what their former selves were.
    also, the orcs are just as blood thirsty as the dwarves/shin'hare/vennen, so i'm hesitant to call them "good." i guess that's why it's factions and not concrete good vs evil. i do enjoy playing on the borders of those definitions. are the shin'hare evil for wanting to be a more dominant race? are they evil because of the way their society treats itself? or do all the cannon fodder die with honor in their hearts. [i'm fond of the shin'hare and shroomkin, though the whole 80%+ of shin'hare society is cannon fodder thing is kind of sad :c]

so what am i babbling about... i guess i just want some more back story or i just want to play the game and learn more, but the game's not out so i've settled on musing about their stories/motives.

I agree. When I first read about the humans and the necrotic, it seemed to me that the humans were lashing out against something that they don't understand, and the necrotic were just defending themselves. Like any large conflict, by the end of it both sides will have a lot of blood on their hands. As humans ourselves it's easy to see the humans in a noble light, but it seems to me that there aren't any races here that could be described as wholly good. This makes the world more interesting to me, and it makes everything feel just a bit more real.

Quote Originally Posted by Loregoyle View Post
    “Forty-eight centuries after the Ensorceling, the Whatsawhosits and the Habblebabbles fought the War of the Yarbles!”
    I'm pretty sure you just quoted the actual text from the book I started reading. Huh.

Keep up the great work! I definitely dig what I'm reading so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mauvebutterfly View Post
    it seems to me that there aren't any races here that could be described as wholly good. This makes the world more interesting to me, and it makes everything feel just a bit more real.
    That's my reading as well, though I'm wondering if that's the impression the writer intended.

On the Underworld side:

Vennen
    Literally described as 'utterly evil and sadistic'

Dwarves
    Want to blow up everything. Actively trying to collapse the surface and kill everyone

Shin'hare
    Aggressive conquerors with no value for life and an insane manifest destiny

Necrotic
    We don't know much about them, but the fact that they're willing to ally with the above jerks is questionable

On the Ardent side:

Orcs
    Society revolves around kidnapping slaves and forcing them to fight to the death in gladiatorial combat

Elves
    Typical fantasy elves (i.e. snooty, isolationist jerks)

Humans
    Singlehandedly instigated the Underworld Incursion by attacking the Necrotic for little real reason for thousands of years

So basically the Coyotl are the only main race that aren't big assholes?

I think the Coyotls are just at the wrong place at the wrong time. They don't really want to get involved but they have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    I think the Coyotls are just at the wrong place at the wrong time. They don't really want to get involved but they have no choice.
    I read somewhere that they are the only ones that know what hex's reason for being is :P
    meaing they could as well be the main antagonists at some point , or at least a sub-faction of them :P
    "Kneel before me and repent!"

http://i.imgur.com/aeU4CXf.png