Thread: Dungeon Lore and Deckbuilding Restrictions

Dungeon Lore and Deckbuilding Restrictions

I'm awful curious to see how deckbuilding may be restricted on a per-dungeon basis.

For instance, according to the lore, the Orcs welcome all to fight in their Arena of the Mountain God. Anyone can earn honor by stepping onto the fighting field. Anyone, that is, except a Vennen. The Orcs would never allow a Vennen onto their holiest site.

So, I would think that the Arena of the Mountain God dungeon would have the following restrictions on deck building:
    -Deck may not contain Vennen troops
    -Deck may not use a Vennen champion or mercenary

To extrapolate, there are some dungeons (like The Ambush and Wild Heist) that are restricted to champions of a particular faction. Should that restriction also apply to troop and mercenary selections? Does it make sense to send Coyotle to Help the Dwarves in Wild Heist? Would it make sense to use these sorts of rules wherever the Lore suggests it?

Pros:
    -Deeper story and identity of each dungeon
    -Greater deckbuilding challenges

Cons:
    -May be too limiting if widespread, especially for players with starter decks.
    -Closes off room for "Use this champion/mercenary/card in every dungeon" achievements.

Alternative:
    -The Arena of the Mountain God could have a static dungeon effect that destroys or voids all Vennen at the end of every turn. This could deal with the appearance of Vennen through a Cosmic Transmogrifier or Chest o' Hex. But would be less clear about the use of Vennen champions and mercenaries.

What do you folks think? What would you like to see in terms of lore-based restrictions in dungeons?
    IGN: Magic

Member of The Unnamed Council- the Hex TCG PvE Guild

Well, as long as there's a "free play" mode, where, once you complete the story mode with the restrictions based on the lore and story, you can just say, unicornpoop it, rabbits and coyotes living together. If you've ever played the Lego Star Wars games, you should get what I mean here.
    I am Lockon, of Grandhelm, great fort of the Ardent. Don't mind the crumbling walls, the place is old and kind of decrepit, and we don't get any money from the military. And... I might be squatting in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockon View Post
    Well, as long as there's a "free play" mode, where, once you complete the story mode with the restrictions based on the lore and story, you can just say, unicornpoop it, rabbits and coyotes living together. If you've ever played the Lego Star Wars games, you should get what I mean here.
    That's a good idea. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.
    IGN: Magic

Member of The Unnamed Council- the Hex TCG PvE Guild

The Transcended
    I absolutely expect them to put in restrictions like you have in the OP, at least for your first time through. (And then still give a warning in the future so that you can always choose to play with the restriction if you want to. "Warning: this deck contains the following items that do not fit with the dungeon lore. [Like I Care] [Rework Deck]")

High Tomb Lord
    I don't mind gives you a challenge if your a hunter for everything and you can only play via certain restirctions then makes you think doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBLERooster
    Ozawa You Lore Hound!
    IGN: OzawaWanderer

http://i.imgur.com/fro8laQ.png

Master Theorycrafter
    I also imagine that decks won't be able to include The Kraken when doing the Kraken's Gold dungeon for example

What about rewarding players for clearing a dungeon using a themed deck?

e.g If you clear the Arena of the Mountain God using an Underworld deck that contains no Vennen, or Vennen-related cards, then you get an achievement or something.

At this time, there are no plans to restrict player decks in dungeons. OF COURSE, that is subject to change, but this rule has been in place since the beginning of the PVE design over two years ago and I don't see it changing.

I realize that this can create some anti-lore decks, such as a vennen deck full of Adamanthian Scriveners or something like that. But there are people who don't give a crap about lore (shocking, I know) who want to create the best deck possible for each dungeon, and we don't want to take that experience away from them.

Of course, if you want to roleplay your deck yourself, have at it! I think it would be a blast to build your deck according to an RP restriction you create. How cool would it be to complete the entire dungeon experience using an all-coyotle deck, for example? Perhaps there would be achievements you could earn by completing the Arena with an all-orc deck or something, but deck building is the most creative aspect of HEX for many players and we do not want to limit that.

The Transcended
    FWIW, I would argue that deck restrictions in PvE actually increases the creative space rather than decreasing. Forcing me to think outside my favorite synergies sounds great to me, and is not something I would do "just for fun" unless I'd already totally exhausted all other content in the game.

Yea, I too like the idea of restrictions on a per dungeon basis, with a free play mode as well to let people play anything, perhaps after they beat it once by the restricted deck rules.

I suppose you could also go about it differently, and just have lore play a role in the dungeon, if someone plays a vennen deck in the orc arena, the troops get a ton of negatives that they wouldn't otherwise get, perhaps taking periodic damage as the orcs assault them. But if they win, it's achievement worthy.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.