Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Story of HEX

The Story of HEX

As an RPG junkie, I’ve read a ton of lore descriptions for fantasy worlds that start with the beginning of time, millions of years ago, when a bunch of stuff happened that I may or may not learn to care about.

“Forty-eight centuries after the Ensorceling, the Whatsawhosits and the Habblebabbles fought the War of the Yarbles!”

How many times have you read fantasy lore that started off like that? Are you truly expected to care about the Whatsawhosits and Habblebabbles right off the bat?

For me, the essential hook to any RPG world isn’t what happened in the distant past, but what is going to happen to your character in the immediate future. What kind of creature do you want to be? Where will your adventures take you? What characters will you meet, befriend, romance, or kill? What decisions will you have to make? These are the questions that RPG players actually care about, and the background lore is there to provide the context. You can learn to care about Whatsawhosits and Habblebabbles once you are absorbed in your character’s journey.

So, what kind of character can you create? Our playable races are divided into two primary factions: the dauntless Ardent and the conniving Underworld.

The Ardent races include the following:
    Human: The humans are generally concerned with chivalry and the protection of the weak.
    Coyotle: The coyotle are a cunning and proud folk, nomadic wanderers and nimble hunters who only kill what is necessary to survive.
    Elf: The elves are the great artists of the world, master craftsmen and renowned performers.
    Orc: The orcs are a fanatically religious race whose society revolves around the zealous worship of their Mountain God.

The Underworld races include the following:
    Necrotic: The necrotic are the corpses of the long-dead human nobles that have been “awakened” by the Hexing Gems and are infested with an alien consciousness that has an unknown and dangerous purpose.
    Shin’hare: The shin’hare are a hyper-aggressive race of rabbits that are primarily motivated by an insatiable desire to conquer and oppress.
    Dwarf: The dwarves are experts in the application of pure destructive force, constructing machines and robots to cause massive devastation.
    Vennen: The fanatical vennen are a hybrid of orcs and spiders who seek to inflict as much pain on the world and the blasphemers that populate it.

Head on over to the Story section of our website to get more details on all the player races.

HEX is unlike any game that’s ever existed. We have attempted to create a vibrant MMO world using the mechanics of a TCG. So, what kind of world is Entrath?

The starting place for any description of our story are the Hexing Gems. These powerful magical artifacts were scattered across the world when the mysterious crystalline meteor known as Hex smashed into the planet. As the denizens of Entrath learn to exploit the Hexing Gems for their immeasurable and enigmatic powers, power struggles erupt, alliances form, and an intrepid adventurer (you) take your first steps into a turbulent and dangerous world.

So now are those Whatsawhosits and Habblebabbles starting to look more interesting? If so, click on over to the History section of our website, where you can get a more extensive overview of what we have planned for the many tales of HEX we can’t wait to tell once the game launches.

Devoted Emissary
    Just as a random note, I find it funny that only one of the underworld factions actually "breed". With 2 that are only males, one that the gender is just cosmetic, and then the bunnies. I guess bunny breeding makes up for it?

Runt of the Litter
    Sounds interesting! Can't wait to play

I can't wait to find out more about each race. I always loved the Tribal aspect of M:tG, and love that there's so much story and lore about the world in HEX.

I agree Florastar. After reading every information out yet carefully, I can't wait to get more input on the lore and the overall story of HEX. It is absolutely well-written and with enough unique twists to not let it look like a boring copy of used-up fantasy lore.

The only thing I disliked though, was that certain sections where copied and used again on other pages. Reading everything at once makes me feel uncomfortable to have to read stuff inbetween, that I already did read somewhere else just before that. It isn't often I came across this, but enough to let it bother me just a tiny little bit

Thanks for the feedback, gang. What we have on the website now is just the tip of the iceberg, we intend to expand the lore with more articles, comic books, novels ... and of course, in-game adventures.

@Storm_Fireblade, I apologize for the repetition. Since this is a brand-new IP, there are certain story points we really want to "sell", which means a few things do get repeated. I wish that everyone would read the entire Story section like you did, but alas, that is not the case.

I know its a little early to pester but since thats what forums are for (along with complaining of course) I'm going to a little bit anyway. I would love to see a more detailed overview of the world as it is now. I have to say its really refreshing to have the Lore guy come right out and say "let's talk about right now first" - your absolutely right, I dont want to read a 300 backstory of how bunny economics gave rise to a feudal social structure (not yet anyway) but I'm salivating to know how someone persuaded the Spider-orcs to work with the Mecha-dwarves and to what extenr the Coyote guys get on with
    the elves.
    I'm sure this is stuff that will be coming soon but speaking as someone who loves the tantalising snippets we have been given so far the more info we get ob the current state of the gameworld the more I will be obsessively reloading this page to see if there is further info

Quote Originally Posted by Loregoyle View Post
    @Storm_Fireblade, I apologize for the repetition. Since this is a brand-new IP, there are certain story points we really want to "sell", which means a few things do get repeated. I wish that everyone would read the entire Story section like you did, but alas, that is not the case.
    It isn't that big of a deal, really. I know that you have to somehow appeal to people not willing to read every information out there in detail, especially when it comes to fluff text, so I understand where you are coming from wanting to highlight certain key-sections at several places. I didn't mean to seriously complain about this at all. I just wanted to give you a headsup, that some of us do notice the copy/paste of some sections though

cute decision .
    I think it's the first game where dwarves are placed in a debatably evil faction and orcs in the "good" one .

I certainly can't wait to see how things go on .
    wish you the best of luck with this TCG , I desperatey wanted an online TCG that isn't magic and is actually good and entertaining beyond the PVP.
    "Kneel before me and repent!"

http://i.imgur.com/aeU4CXf.png

So I've read every page on the site and I'm digging what I see so far. All the races seem super cool, but what is the deal with Coyotle and controlling the weather? I assume that will be fleshed out more as it was the motive for the Shin'hare to go into extermination mode. Just wanted to ask, was such a tease.