Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Older sets

Infernal Professor
    If a standard set is 2 blocks, i would say retire cards after 4 blocks. That will help maintain value on the old cards in a legacy type format, and add value to collecting and holding onto cards.

With the AH cards will always be available so nothing will be truly unobtainable if cards go out of print. Some cards being more valuable/rare then others is fine, it is a tcg afterall.

If they want to drive up value they just need limited use cards like lotus.

In an MMO format, limiting or removing content is usually a bad idea (blizzard had some nasty feedback over exactly that) and a TCG is about players collecting AND playing, not hoarding and living in fear of the block cycling out before they are done.

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    If they want to drive up value they just need limited use cards like lotus.

In an MMO format, limiting or removing content is usually a bad idea (blizzard had some nasty feedback over exactly that) and a TCG is about players collecting AND playing, not hoarding and living in fear of the block cycling out before they are done.
    And on this day, Truth was spoken.

As I said earlier, I am not going to be too upset if they choose to retire cards. Im in a position to greatly benefit from all the cards I will be getting. But I think as a whole for the health of the game, it'd be better if new players werent met with large expanse of cards that they cant get access too!

What are peoples' thoughts on an artificial rarity increase by scaling up the price of old sets when new ones are released? Much in the way that most older M:tG packs cost more now. Seems like a best-of-both-worlds answer to the two camps on this issue.

Devoted Emissary
    I think that doing it artificially will be counter productive. It would happen naturally just through the auction house and player sales, just like in other games. I think that retiring cards is a good idea, because it's not like the cards that exist are gone, reprints are a thing, and they can always do special re releases. I think having them not retire will drive down the value of sets that have been out for any length of time into the toilet

Master Theorycrafter
    Except those who dont want those cards wont buy them, still keeping the card pool pretty much what it was when teh set stopped being standard legal. The only change it would do is give new collectors an option of bypassing those who want to monopolise the market with steep price increases and try their luck at opening a pack or 10.

This way, the money is also going to Cryptozoiac, and not to a secondary market.

Devoted Emissary
    True, but without said secondary market, the game will have serious issues getting a serious base. The only reason i play magic anymore is because of the secondary market, i love to draft, but i am not much of a collector, so i usually make a little profit from doing that. It also makes the product prizes from tournaments have more oomph, since they can have more value.

To give a go example, the two biggest profiting card games right now are magic the gathering and yu-gi-oh. Suprisingly yu-gi-oh has the higher primary market, but their secondary market is dwarfed by magic's. This is what makes magic so popular and active, and with a secondary market like it has, the older cards are only really there to get for collectors value or legacy kind of stuff, and if they are so easy to get, that looses a lot of it's fun.

Master Theorycrafter
    Then I think its just time to agree to disagree :-) As I said, I can live at the end of the day with either option. I just feel its healthier for the game to have such things always available.

Devoted Emissary
    Yea, this is gonna be an interesting issue to see how they solve. I just have one last thing, and this is less a point of debate then just a personal thing, but i happen to own a copy of black lotus. I grabbed it close to a decade ago, and it's a bit of a prize of my collection. If i could go out today and buy a pack that might have one in it, it wouldnt matter at all, and that would make me sad.