Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out-of-game card trading/selling ala Magic Online

Out-of-game card trading/selling ala Magic Online

So, to get to the point quickly, does Cryptozoic plan to allow for a market to exist outside of the in-game-money auction house? There's a thriving little economy to Magic Online for buying and selling cards for actual cash that allows for suitably motivated players to fund their card addiction by selling off tournament winnings and the like, and before I pledge to hand over money on a Kickstart I'd want to be sure I could sell off excess cards without getting banned for it.

To reiterate, I'm not referring to selling cards for foozles or whatever fake MMOG currency is involved on the auction house, I'm referring to going over to a place like mtgotraders and handing over cards for cash so I can turn around and buy some boosters. And I know that anyone can make shady deals outside of the game that are hard to catch, so the question isn't so much whether you can sell your cards to people but whether Cryptozoic intends to be taking steps to try to prevent it.

Runt of the Litter
    Most likely not since they have an in-game real money auction house. Most likely they'll make a cut one way or another, similar to Diablo III. So they will most likely "Outlaw", via EULA, any Ebay selling/buying etc...

Current plans for HEX already support real money transactions.

The question hasn't been answered about the ability, or requirements for Real Money withdrawal from the system. Probably because there are several legal and security foibles that need to be accounted for first.

They are already implementing an In-Game Real money AH so that they can keep it all controlled and in one economy. Also that means that there is less of a chance to get screwed and more security.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

Hex IGN: Ares

Yeah, money in isn't the question, it's money out. They can't really do anything to prevent deals on the side to hand over all of your cards to someone for five gold (plus a hundred dollars in paypal), unless someone's doing it regularly, as they can always claim, "Oh this is my good friend Bob, I was just giving my cards away to him." and there's no way to prove them wrong. But it would still be tacky to attempt to prevent people from selling their cards, given that Magic already allows it.

Master Theorycrafter
    I asked on their facebook and was told that you could NOT sell your cards on the AH for "Real life moneys". The response I got was that I could list cards for only "Gold or Platinum" which is the in game currencies provided. I have not yet received and answer towards if they would support a secondary market. In fact, most of these questions have been dodged on both the facebook and the kickstarter.
    Apparently, I have attitude issues.

Quote Originally Posted by freudinio View Post
    I asked on their facebook and was told that you could NOT sell your cards on the AH for "Real life moneys". The response I got was that I could list cards for only "Gold or Platinum" which is the in game currencies provided. I have not yet received and answer towards if they would support a secondary market. In fact, most of these questions have been dodged on both the facebook and the kickstarter.
    Yes sorry, I should have clarified. It is a Platinum market, but the Original Platinum will have to be bought with Real Money to get. So in "essence" it is real money you are gaining. Now it is true that I have not seen and I believe they haven't said anything on whether you can get back the money from Platinum.

I'm sure that once they are able to ensure that accounts as a whole are going to be secure they will also allow for this. That is because until they can ensure that no one can just take the platinum out of your account and leave it alone otherwise. They don't want to legally be responsible for money that you put into the game. However if it stays in the game that means that they can retrieve it and give it back to you once the account was reclaimed from whoever got to it in the first place.

Although I'm sure that it is in CZE best interest to allow for one to take out Platinum once they have security because it they can take a cut (just like Bliz in Diablo 3) which is huge potential for profit. Even if they cut is small, which it should be. And for those who say they don't deserve a cut, the cut is for being able to sell and gain money through a trusted source. That is why it I believe it is perfectly fine to have a cut. On the other hand I do not like how wow has a double cut. For instance, they will get a cut of the initial purchase of the item (which is kept from the seller), and then they will take a 15% cut when you take the money out. Which is a huge portion of the entire sale, especially when items were being sold for 250 like wild fire in the beginning.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

I never expected their in-game auction house to let you just slap a $4.99 bid on your card, any more than you can trade directly for cash in MtGO's trade system. The important distinction being that MtGO doesn't prevent players from making a monetary deal outside of the game and then trading inside the game. If Cryptozoic allows for cashing out platinum then everything's grand as-is; you trade for platinum in the game and cash it out, done. But if they decide not to have a method for recovering money from platinum, the question about trading outside the game comes up.

The question about moving money outside of the game has yet to be answered. It seems to be skimmed over on almost every thread it comes up on while every other question is promptly answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
    I never expected their in-game auction house to let you just slap a $4.99 bid on your card, any more than you can trade directly for cash in MtGO's trade system. The important distinction being that MtGO doesn't prevent players from making a monetary deal outside of the game and then trading inside the game. If Cryptozoic allows for cashing out platinum then everything's grand as-is; you trade for platinum in the game and cash it out, done. But if they decide not to have a method for recovering money from platinum, the question about trading outside the game comes up.
    I don't see why they would/should limit it. I don't mind them making a small cut of my money because I know they are a trusted handler of my money and it is not being stolen and stuff. But if they choose not to and I want to sell all my cards for real cash then yeah I would like the option for selling it outside of the game because I want to be 'done' with the game.

But like I said I think the only reason they are holding back from answering whether or not you can extract your platinum is the security of the accounts.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King