Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob Question - Digital Booster Packs

Hybrid View

Noob Question - Digital Booster Packs

I grew up with Pokemon TCG and MTG, but I've been weary of stepping foot in the digital TCG realm as I'm skeptical of how digital booster packs are assembled. Can anyone give me a rundown on how digital boosters are assembled?

Back in the day, if I saw a kid with a Charizard, he had to have gotten it from a booster (or card shop, whatever) but with online stuff, I feel like there's no guarantee that all cards are available. For some reason I just fear being shafted.

But I do really want to get into this game, so someone calm my anxieties please.

From what we've heard, it'd be roughly:

11 Common
    3 Uncommon
    1 Rare/Legendary

As for the actual algorithms... that's anyone's guess.

And some sort of 'bonus' for every 15 card booster pack.

All PVP cards are available via boosters (except alternate art).

Each Booster is $2 and contain 15 cards.
    11-commons
    3-uncommons
    1-rare or Epic (the ratio of Epics to rare hasn't been stated that I know of. But in WoW TCG it was about 1:10 or 1:20)

Thanks for the replies. My question was more aimed at the technicality though, which I'm guessing the exact specifics are some sort of top secret, but like are the the Boosters pre-formed, and you unlock a random set of predetermined cards? Or is it randomly generated every time you purchase a new pack?

I imagine it would be randomly generated. Would it matter anyway? If they included every single variation of card combinations, you would have approximately the same chance either way.

Eternal Guardian
    They will probably run as if it were a physical print run to ensure there is a real distribution of cards. If it were truly random, you could open up the same 15 cards in every booster and that wouldn't be very fun would it??
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by houjix View Post
    They will probably run as if it were a physical print run to ensure there is a real distribution of cards. If it were truly random, you could open up the same 15 cards in every booster and that wouldn't be very fun would it??
    If it was truly random and you opened up a pack with the same 15 cards which (is not possible because of the distribution) but let's ignore that. The chances of getting 15 of the same card would be

1/350 to the 15th power. GOOD LUCK even if it was 11 cards the same it would still be 1/350 to 11nth power. I think you will be ok.

Edit: I was curious so I went to wolframalpha and 1/350 to the 11nth is

1/9,654,915,737,304,687,500,000,000,000

So yeah I think your chances are pretty low.

And this is your chance of getting 4 cards the same (1/350)^4 * (349/350)^7

630,634,881,591,804,949/9,654,915,737,304,687,500,000,000,000

roughly 6.53 x 10^-11 or .00000000653%

Disclaimer:
    These are not the exact statistics because I'm not taking into account the fact that there is not 350 common but you can see that even if we subtract the number of rare cards and uncommon there will be, the shear number of cards that there are will make it almost impossible to have that many duplicates. (At least in one pack)
    Last edited by Blare731; 05-11-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    KickSTARTER
    Grand King

Hex IGN: Ares

Well, currently we know that each card has its own unique ID ("CID") so I'd imagine boosters and other inventory would be the same.

With RNG and a few other things, I'm sure everything would be unique unless you can work out the algorithm... and even then, they could change it easily.

I hadn't read about the CID yet, cool. Thanks for all the insight folks.