Thread: Is the notion of calling this a card game a bit anachronistic?

Is the notion of calling this a card game a bit anachronistic?

I think we should derive some kind new name for what these "cards" are. To me, the word card implies something physical, something I can touch. What we get in this game is far from the physical, and not to mention they defiy the 3D nature of cards by adding a 'fourth dimensional' element with the addition of the "Double Back."

Any thoughts on this issue?

Nah it is fine in my opinion. It is clearly based on trading card games and naming it something else would just be confusing.

Well, short of inventing a new word for it, the closest analogy would be 'cards'. I mean, look at Solitaire from the early days of computer gaming. Technically they're not actual 'cards' but cards nonetheless.

That's my take on it anyway.

Master Theorycrafter
    Our language is full of anachronistic words. Cable modems definitely do NOT MOdulate and DEModulate, your facebook page...a page? Really? Your phone book on your cell phone isn't a book, and to call it a telephone stretches things a bit... Isn't English wonderful? Double backed 'cards'. Yeah, I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuvas View Post
    Our language is full of anachronistic words. Cable modems definitely do NOT MOdulate and DEModulate, your facebook page...a page? Really? Your phone book on your cell phone isn't a book, and to call it a telephone stretches things a bit... Isn't English wonderful? Double backed 'cards'. Yeah, I dig it.
    Yer. Language is arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaux View Post
    Yer. Language is arbitrary.
    perhaps some of modern language is arbitrary, but the english language is certainly not arbitrary in many cases. It has roots in many different languages thus making word choice not arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelorox View Post
    perhaps some of modern language is arbitrary, but the english language is certainly not arbitrary in many cases. It has roots in many different languages thus making word choice not arbitrary.
    Thats not what it means. Take the word "chair" you can analyze the semantics and entymology all you want but the letters and sounds that make it up mean nothing without people defining it somewhere and the word could just as soon have been attached to another definition.

Furthermore, "chair" can refer to any number of different things, and not all people will agree that any given object belongs in the group.