Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Concern about the Goldfish Feature

  1. #1

    Concern about the Goldfish Feature

    If Cryptozoic are going to take something that you can ordinarily do with your own cards and make it a subscription only feature, what does this mean for other things that you can do with a normal TCG like multiplayer, EDH, Cube, Emperor etc that we all expect will be made available when possible?

    I realise that as a digital game we dont actually own any of the cards but a mission statement from Cryptozoic stating that they will act like we do would be awesome.

    Here I was hoping for more awesome features like 'practice' drafting not less that you can do with real cards.

    PS the subscription is awesome and i'll probably go for it but im just worried about what it means for the future.

  2. #2
    I don't think the goldfish feature should be a part of the subscription, I don't really see much value in it anyway, I don't think anyone is going to say "YAY! I bought the sub so I can draw a few cards to test my deck!". For deck testing most people will just take their decks in a friendly match against their friends and guildies to get a good idea of how well the deck is working.

  3. #3
    I see nothing wrong with adding a little value to a deal so good everyone should be subscribed to it anyhow.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengus View Post
    I don't think the goldfish feature should be a part of the subscription, I don't really see much value in it anyway, I don't think anyone is going to say "YAY! I bought the sub so I can draw a few cards to test my deck!". For deck testing most people will just take their decks in a friendly match against their friends and guildies to get a good idea of how well the deck is working.
    From a product management perspective, it's a mode that someone had to take time to code and test. As an added free feature it would be unlikely to draw more players, but as an extra bullet point in the subscription list it may help convert free players to paying players.

  5. #5
    Infernal Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    452
    My guess is that you need a feature that fits a few criteria:

    1) It has to be something that you would want to do, but isn't "experience-shattering" if you don't have it.

    2) Is common enough to remind people about the subscription feature on a relatively frequent basis without becoming invasive and detracting from the experience to the user.

    3) Something that you haven't already given away(Because it's F2P you can't do a log-in subscription required, and if they annouced and gave away "goldfishing" they could never take it away without enduring a torrent of bad publicity.

    The "goldfishing" fits all of these goals to generate revenue with a "value-added" service that doesn't not seriously detract from the experience if you don't have it while maintaining a presence in the users mind that the subscription option exists. It also gives you a feature to immediately grant to the user on purchase to satisfy the immediate gratification of spending money on a benefit that will accrue over time(packs per week/discount)

  6. #6
    Eternal Guardian
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    WDM, IA
    Posts
    3,031
    It's a featue most people familiar with an online TCG would expect to be included from the start. As far as coding, it's draw opening hand, draw next card. Newsflash, that's already in the game. Next you'll want to tell us that deck statistics and card count should be addons that we have to pay for since someone had to code it.

    I've been fairly supportive of most of their decisions, but this one is dumb.
    Last edited by houjix; 05-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Go Fish

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by houjix View Post
    It's a featue most people familiar with an online TCG would expect to be included from the start. As far as coding, it's draw opening hand, draw next card. Newsflash, that's already in the game. Next you'll want to tell us that deck statistics and card count should be addons that we have to pay for since someone had to code it.

    I've been fairly supportive of most of thier decisions, but this one is dumb.
    I disagree. If a feature isn't worth buying a half price booster a week to get it it's probably not worth the regression testing to make sure it doesn't have some horrible bug.

  8. #8
    What is Goldfishing? I can't find anything on what this means.

  9. #9
    Eternal Guardian
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    WDM, IA
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Stok3d View Post
    What is Goldfishing? I can't find anything on what this means.
    Test drawing your decks first few draws after you build it.
    Go Fish

  10. #10
    You test your deck against a wall. Isolated like in a goldfish bowl.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •