Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiplayer - EHD, Emperor, 2 Headed Giant etc

Multiplayer - EHD, Emperor, 2 Headed Giant etc

Given the number of stretch goals that are promised features that are being brought forward to launch, I'm worried that multiplayer modes like 2 Headed Giant, EDH, Emperor, 2v2, 3v3 are not mentioned yet.

Im sure there is a huge amount of support for these modes but everyone is just assuming they will be implemented and so not making a fuss about it.

Searching the forums only reveals "We do have plans for providing formats that are popular to players." which is a long way from a guarantee for a feature that I want a lot more and sooner than I want crafting...

Master Theorycrafter
    Well, Commander and such formats may not be entirely logical with the champions we will already be playing, but various formats could roll out. I am pretty sure they are quoted as having said, if the players want to play it that they will make it happen.

For the other formats you mentioned, people just want to bring up what they want to play, perhaps in a forum post that tallies who wants what. If enough people show interest, Crypto is likely to respond and make it happen. They want us happy, so play modes we will like would be on a list for 'making it happen.'

I throw my hat in for Emperor myself. 2HG maybe, but Emperor(Or General, as some of us called it pre interwebs) was always a fun social way to play.

So... Umm... help out a newbie....

What does any of that mean? What are these modes? I live in a town where the only card game venue is Yu-gi-oh and they hate anyone who is new to the point where if no one vouches for you they kick you out.

These modes intrigue me, please explain.

True, but the awesomeness of commander for me was all about using lots of old cards in the same deck without having to worry about having a play set or using only the current block - the equivalent here could be to allow PvE cards too but still only one of each card per 100 card deck.

The important thing is to make sure that the release of (at least one of) these casual multiplayer formats dont get pushed behind other features like PvE just cause we all assume that Crypto knows we value it highly - meanwhile the stretch goal threads are full of other innovative ideas cause everyone assumes multiplayer is covered already..

Master Theorycrafter
    Commander(EDH) is a mode where you build a 100 card deck. You can only have 1 of any card, except basic lands(the basic resource of M:tG). One of those 100 cards must be a Legendary creature(Unique on the battlefield) and your Commander.

All cards in the deck must be either colorless, or all of it's colors must share your commander's color.

Your commander starts the game in a special area, and you can cast him any time you have the resources. Each time he dies, you put a counter on him that makes him cost 2 more resources to cast the next time you play him, these stack. It's mostly a multiplayer/fun format that is very popular for casual play. Games can last a VERY long time.

Emperor(General) is a 3v3 or more game(odd numbers on each team) The middle player on each team is the Emperor. Each side takes turns together, and can only use abilities that affect someone 1 player away. Emperors can give creatures(troops) he casts to his generals to use the turn after it comes into play.

In this way, a General cannot affect the opposing Emperor until one flank is dead and removed from the game. They cannot affect them in any way until they are within the "1 player away" rule. Generals hold importance because If their Emperor dies, game automatically ends.

2 Headed Giant is a format that can be played with constructed, sealed, or drafted decks. 2 players to a team. Both players take turns at the same time and share life. They do not share resources, though they can attack and block as if they were the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebynfel View Post

Your commander starts the game in a special area, and you can cast him any time you have the resources. Each time he dies, you put a counter on him that makes him cost 2 more resources to cast the next time you play him, these stack. It's mostly a multiplayer/fun format that is very popular for casual play. Games can last a VERY long time.
    Actually, it's not "each time he dies", it's "Each time you cast your commander from the command zone, the cost to recast him from the command zone increases by 2" but it's just a technicality =P

Wicked good description of the formats Ebynfel. Sorry i didnt reply Kagim - i must have been typing a reply when your question came through - dont want you to think im ignoring you because no one vouched for you, just didnt see it

Also on topic, I'm sure eventually they'll have some form of Singleton(which is what EDH is a variant of) once a few more sets have come out.

Don't worry, Ebynfel's got my back!

Though those modes sound pretty awesome, specially Emperor.

Yu-gi-oh players are hardcore though...

I know a few people in my area that still play Yu-Gi-Oh, and they're nice people, so I wouldn't say yu-gi-oh players are hardcore, the people around you are just jerks that are threatened by new players because they don't know what they'll do.