Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Filthy Savages - A Place to Make Friends

Talking Filthy Savages - A Place to Make Friends

So it may be a silly to do this since this is for a game that's not even out yet and we're all going to be waiting for 4 long months for a beta invite, but I wanted to check in with all you early birds to see if this idea is going to gain any interest: A Guild of Bros.

Okay so hear me out. Quick back story: I'm a 20-something that's been playing tcgs for a bit over a year with some friends. We got in during the Innistrad block for MtG and absolutely fell in love with the format. But when my friends and I go to a local shop to play some FNM, we always spot some pretty sour moments:

-Cheaters who take advantage of people that don't know the game and don't know to ask for a judge
    -Social rejects that would hound you all night for a trade you don't want to make
    -Sore losers who say things like, "I don't want to be an asshole, but I would've beaten you if...."
    -And a whole lot of other terrible stereotypes of the gaming community.

Obviously there are also the normal players who are kind, dapper folk just like you or I, but overall my favorite experiences playing tcgs are the ones I have playing with friends at one of our places. Now that our places are miles and miles away, I want to make a guild that feels like that in HEX.

I want a guild where you hear the following:
    - "Oh shit! Got that rare you were looking for. Here, take it, hook me up the next time you pull X "
    - "You're going Rabbits? Alright, I'll go Coyotes so we're not hunting after the same cards"
    - "You know what would be fun? Can we pool together some stuff and make a deck just out of rat cards?"
    - "Oh man, if you paired up that card with Y, you'd have a sick combo. I think I got some, let me check..."

What you can expect with Filthy Savages:
    We're looking to make a guild of like minded individuals who want a relaxing, friendly experience. I don't just want a guild of friendly people, I want a guild of people who are friends. So that's why I'd like to make this guild. Don't let the name fool you, I'm sure anyone who joins up is a classy guy/gal. Ideally we'd do both PvP and PvE content. I know my friends and I love to tinker with decks until they're perfect, so don't be afraid to let your inner hardcore nerd shine and go into the deep end in this game; we'd be right behind you. Hopefully we'd get to do little fun guild drafts and tourneys on scheduled nights, or just some fun deck testing whenever some folks are on. I'm sure all aspects of this game will be fully represented within the guild. The most important thing to us is logging on and always being excited about who you saw online.

If this sounds like something you'd be into, please leave a comment. If this gets enough people behind it, I'll be sure to make a website and all that fun guild stuff. If not, I'll look for a way to shamefully delete this post and slink away in the anonymity of the internet.

Thanks for your time and thanks for reading this incredibly wordy post, you're a real stud for reading all of this.
    Last edited by Trevopotamus; 05-16-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Sounds like "Friendly neighbors" instead of a bunch of savages. I like it

"Hey neighbor, mind if I borrow your lawnmower?"

One question that the cynic in me throws to the fore is: "how would you keep newcomers from abusing your helpfulness?". E.g. how do you know beforehand that your new neighbor is as friendly and helpful as you are? Or if he/she isn't, what do you do? But that's something that can be dealt with at a later time.

What you're suggesting sounds very nice to me and similar to the clan I joined during my short stint in EVE. Folks from the Ars Technica fora ran their own clan and shared resources rather freely as you are suggesting.

That's a good question. There is a significant amount of undercover jerks out there in InternetLand and no one wants to be taken advantage of, especially when there is a dollar amount involved. So my solution to this problem is a fairly simple collection of learned wisdom:

Selective Recruiting:
    1) Typically if someone joins and immediately drops a dubious, "Ya know... I've been looking for X for a while... Anyone have one?" then they probably are going to NOT be given that golden key to the kingdom right off the bat. And besides, if someone is joining just for the free swag, then we don't want them. The free cards shouldn't be some kind of entitlement, what we're going for is having cool folks join to make a positive atmosphere; the nice, happy trading is a result of that. I'd sacrifice quantity for quality anytime. I'd rather have 20 people I can trust instead of 100 people, 50 of which I can't stand. Also, as a dude who treats his twitter account like a Tibetan Monk Rock Garden, I LOVE to kick people out of guilds if they're being a jabroni. If someone hounds other people for free stuff and bothers them, I'll show them the door. Also: How awesome is it that I'm bringing back 'jabroni'?

Caution and Relationship Building:
    2) Just like you would with friends in your regular life, trust is built up. You don't tell someone EVERYTHING once you meet them, you reveal more when you feel more comfortable with them. Same way here. I don't mind taking that weighted risk of someone insta-typing /gquit if all they're making off with is one rare Ruby card. I HATE Ruby cards. In fact, it'll make me happier knowing that this clown is out there with that Ruby card I hated equally as much. They deserve each other. Buncha jerks. I'd be more wounded if I handed them my 60 card control deck that I've been crafting for 2 sets now and then they run.

Greed, or Lack Thereof:
    3) My friends and I have NEVER been greedy people. We love to play the game, not amass hordes of wealth. We've freely traded cards between ourselves so often and later in the week been like, "Oh jeez, I guess that card was worth 20 bucks? Oh well."

Finally, the reason for the name Filthy Savages is that one of our own's last name is Savage. I think this is awesome. Combine this with the scientific fact that it's a fun thing to call friends: "What's up, you filthy savages?" "Ugh, you just stomped my deck like a filthy savage." And you got yourself one fun guild full of cool people.

Thanks for the question. That means people have been reading this post! *gasp* I've always believed I was cursed on internet forums and threads. Whenever I comment not only does the thread instantly die, but I'm almost positive the forum itself starts to wither and decay. So thank you all for that little bit of validation.
    Last edited by Trevopotamus; 05-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanisse View Post

Why is it that fat people are ALWAYS evil when it comes to Disney? Those musically inclined b'stards...

Hey, when it comes to people called Savage I've come to appreciate the awesome Dan Savage

I agree on your suggested approach to my doubts. I reckon you can count me in as the first prospective member

I'm happy to hear it. If you have any friends that you're wrangling into this KS like I have, send them over this way! We'll be one big happy guild of card slinging champs.
    Last edited by Trevopotamus; 05-16-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin_Coilleach View Post
    Hey, when it comes to people called Savage I've come to appreciate the awesome Dan Savage

I agree on your suggested approach to my doubts. I reckon you can count me in as the first prospective member
    I prefer Vandal Savage myself :P

and heeey , fat people are always evil ... not just in disney
    "Kneel before me and repent!"

http://i.imgur.com/aeU4CXf.png

Devoted Emissary
    Well, let's see...

I can be filthy...check
    I can be a savage...check
    I can be an evil fat people...check

Sign my up as having interest

Quote Originally Posted by Massabik View Post
    Well, let's see...

I can be filthy...check
    I can be a savage...check
    I can be an evil fat people...check

Sign my up as having interest
    Hey! That's great! Thanks for taking an interest!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanisse View Post
    I prefer Vandal Savage myself :P

and heeey , fat people are always evil ... not just in disney
    How rude.
    Last edited by Trevopotamus; 05-16-2013 at 10:17 PM.