Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapping cards to activate

Tapping cards to activate

So I can see that the dudes putting this game together are huge Magic fans and I know there is a great deal of tradition to turning a card sideways to show that it did things, but that is a compromise in physical games as an easy representation of the effect.

Is I really necessary to have this in a purely digital game? Like I saw on the HearthStone videos that the border of a creature that can attack glows, and that's pretty cool. Not only does it remind newer players of the possibilities, it also allows the art to shine for more of the game, without having it just humpty-dumptied half the time.

So do ye think "tapping" can perhaps be handled more elegantly in a pure digital game?

The turning of the card is more clear than a fade in particle effect and the sideways card is easier to grok at a glance.

Making the card glow instead just seems cheesy.

Gigantisaur
    I don't know that there is a solution more elegant than turning the card sideways. At least not without making every card represented by a 3D animated model that physically performs the actions.

Adding a bold red border to the card for attackers. Cool gray for exhausted. Bold blue for blockers.

Doesn't really have a purpose though.

Yeah. "Its digital and we can." is a really bad reason to do something.

I guess you can make a larger play-mat and change their "row" if they are attacking/blocking to make it more obvious.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfang View Post
    I guess you can make a larger play-mat and change their "row" if they are attacking/blocking to make it more obvious.
    But then that doesn't really work for abilities. "Pay one and move to the 'this card can't attack row': Do something" just doesn't flow =P

No offense to Blizzard, but I don't really find hearthstone all that interesting. It looks too cartoon-y and casual.

Mojang's making a digital TCG also. That one interests me a bit, but it's not even in beta yet.
    http://scrolls.com/game

Quote Originally Posted by jai151 View Post
    But then that doesn't really work for abilities. "Pay one and move to the 'this card can't attack row': Do something" just doesn't flow =P
    We could always turn the card into a projectile, fling it, spinning, across the board and smack whatever it's supposed to damage/bounce/weaken, then shake the screen with particle effects and stars will pop out as the card majestically twirls back to its original position.

Or we can tap it.

Gigantisaur
    I much prefer tapping it. As I said, just can't get more elegant.