Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Card text and symbols.

  1. #1
    Master Theorycrafter
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    722

    Card text and symbols.

    I've been wondering why there aren't better symbols to describe the card's abilities cost, like Magic's grey circle with 3 in it to say you need 3 mana, or the circlish arrow for tapping.

    Would also like to see some more explanations about the existing symbols somewhere on the card overview page.
    Like what do the different rarity colors mean.
    What does it mean when a creature's ability has that white square or a blue diamond in its activation cost?
    Last edited by BlackRoger; 05-17-2013 at 12:44 AM.

  2. #2
    I would also like to know where to look at a card to distinguish PvP cards from PvE.

  3. #3
    I was curious about the same thing. Some examples are

    http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads...ian_Gear_W.jpg
    I'd rather see some sort of graphic than [1] to indicate that it requires one resource to use.

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/...jpg?1363319525
    Do cards with sockets really need the SOCKETED MAJOR, since they have a socket graphic on the card? Perhapes major sockets could be on the right side and minors on the left so that people can easily tell what a card has, without having to have additional text.

    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...97352978_n.png
    I'm not sure what [BASIC] means, but surely a symbol would be far more appropriate here.

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/...png?1368504915
    Here's a good example of what they should do. Two sapphire symbols to indicate you seed 2 sapphire threshold for the ability to activate.

    Any sort of phrase that is used often and always means the same thing should use a symbol rather than text. Things like Crush or Speed are fine to use as text, but if it referring to an action (like exhausting (which does appear to have a symbol)) or to some sort of resource cost, then it should use a symbol to reduce text clutter.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Grissnap View Post
    I would also like to know where to look at a card to distinguish PvP cards from PvE.
    The colored diamond at the bottom denotes rarity. PvE only cards had a small yellow symbol (I believe it is suppose to be a monster) next to the rarity.

  5. #5
    Thanks!!! I feel much better, and sad to think I missed that after scouring the rewards page.

  6. #6
    I think basic show the speed you can play it. In MTG most abilities are instant, so have a symbol/keyword for when it isn't is a good idea.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Greel View Post
    I'm not sure what [BASIC] means, but surely a symbol would be far more appropriate here.
    Basic Action and Quick Action are used to distinguish when you can play them, lining up to MTG's sorceries and instants. Basic actions can only be played on your turn.

  8. #8
    Kyle has said that the symbols aren't final. Right now they're more like placeholders.

  9. #9
    Eternal Guardian
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    WDM, IA
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackRoger View Post
    I've been wondering why there aren't better symbols to describe the card's abilities cost, like Magic's grey circle with 3 in it to say you need 3 mana, or the circlish arrow for tapping.

    Would also like to see some more explanations about the existing symbols somewhere on the card overview page.
    Like what do the different rarity colors mean.
    What does it mean when a creature's ability has that white square or a blue diamond in its activation cost?
    That white square looking thing it the exhaust(tap symbol). If there is a Sapphire or other symbol matching one of the resources, that indicates that power has a threshold just like when you play cards. Mana costs are currently in square brackets. If [BASIC] precedes the power, if can only be done during main phase when nothing is on the chain, otherwise the power is quick or instant.
    Go Fish

  10. #10
    http://hextcg.com/card-overview/


    That explains the card set up fairly well as far as rarity, cost, etc. As for the exhaust symbol Crypto already said they didn't like it and were revising it.

    For pve cards at the bottom next to the rarity is a symbol to the left that denotes pve only cards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •