Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PvP Incentives?

Master Theorycrafter

PvP Incentives?

So forgive me if I've missed it (and I'd love if you could link me if that is the case) but while I've seen tons of information on the incentives for playing PvE (earning PvE cards, mercenaries, equipment, and gold which my understanding is used only for PvE cards), I can't recall really seeing any incentives to PvP. In most online games I find PvP is the mode you most need to give good incentive too keep at, as most people don't enjoy losing, and losing tends to occur quite a bit. In fact, if you have a perfect match making system, unless you're the best or worst player in the world, you should be losing about half of your games, and anyone whose flipped a coin enough times know that when something has a 50/50 chance of happening, its not uncommon for it occur many times in a row.

Now I'm aware that there is going to be drafts and tournaments which seem to have more PvP cards (or platinum, the currency used for PvP purchases), but in general, if I just sign in every night after work for an hour, what incentives do I have to go online against a real opponent with the likely hood of getting my rear handed to me, vs roughing up some AI opponents in PvE, or just doing something else with my evening that's not as stressful or depressing? Considering PvP is where the game's business model is hoping to actually make its money, as much as I'm glad that there is a huge emphasis on pve (very glad as this is certainly one of my favorite aspects of virtual card games that is often either poorly designed, too short, or out right ignored), I don't really see that mode making me want to play against real human opponents anymore, if anything it makes me want to risk getting roughed up even less.

So TLR, have there been any posts about what incentives players will have to come just play normal matchmaking based matches with other human beings with PvP cards, and if not, are there as of yet unreleased plans to address this common issue in online competitive games?

Gigantisaur
    Normal matchmaking games are practice for tournaments. The drafts and sealed and constructed tourneys are the PVP equivalent of dungeons and raids, and the prize packs are your rewards
    ---
    B.M.R.
    The Last of the Dragon Lords (+Pro)

You also get points for winning events like drafts which are used to qualify for seasonal regional/championship/tournaments.

Oh, and winning stuff like championships unlocks a unique achievement on all the cards you used to win, sort of like a signature.

Like "Hex 2013 Winter Season Championship - TheWinnersName"

Master Theorycrafter
    Ouch... well it is what it is, hopefully with the huge response this game has gotten so far, the sheer number of players will make up for the lack of incentives, but I've seen a LOT of online tcg games pvp experience suffer do to poor PvP incentives making it difficult to find opponents, and even more difficult to find ones around your skill level which is the worst situation cause then its hard to get new people in as they're constantly facing people with skill ratings much higher then them. This is why I've found it of the utmost importance to PvP modes in particular that they give a strong incentive to play, even just participate, to keep the number of players who are playing up and thus the rate of finding an opponent an opponent up and, even more importantly, the odds of finding some one within your skill level up.

So cards, money, in-game achievements, and a rankings system isn't enough?

What...what do you want?

I think DanTheMeek is coming from the view of the average MMO, or flash based card games.

First off, 90% of the flash based card games out there are complete garbage. A lot of the players coming to this game come from the MTG and WoWTCG brands, which are so much better and entirely centered on the PVP.

Go check out MTG online, I haven't been on there in a few years, but I bet the draft tournies still fill up just fine. I think this game will be just fine from a PVP aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMeek View Post
    Ouch... well it is what it is, hopefully with the huge response this game has gotten so far, the sheer number of players will make up for the lack of incentives, but I've seen a LOT of online tcg games pvp experience suffer do to poor PvP incentives making it difficult to find opponents, and even more difficult to find ones around your skill level which is the worst situation cause then its hard to get new people in as they're constantly facing people with skill ratings much higher then them. This is why I've found it of the utmost importance to PvP modes in particular that they give a strong incentive to play, even just participate, to keep the number of players who are playing up and thus the rate of finding an opponent an opponent up and, even more importantly, the odds of finding some one within your skill level up.
    What online tcgs have this problem that arent unpopular already?

Gigantisaur
    There will be on-demand drafts at the very lease, with a possibility of on-demand sealed and constructed (Don't know if those are confirmed or not). You will ALWAYS, at any time of the day or night, be able to hop into a prize awarding tournament.

They don't need to, and shouldn't, add rewards to one on one matches. It would be like WoW giving rewards for winning a duel.
    ---
    B.M.R.
    The Last of the Dragon Lords (+Pro)

Incentives for Pvp? Isn't the point of pvp being to play against another player?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMeek View Post
    In most online games I find PvP is the mode you most need to give good incentive too keep at
    It's a bit of an interesting situation, I think. TCGs are a type of game that tend to be all about pvp, whereas MMOs are a type of game that tend to be more about pve. I'm interested to see if there will be a clear pvp versus pve divide among players and what Crypozoic might do to get people from each side to take a look at the other.
    Last edited by RoyalNightGuard; 05-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.