Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Join as Party" in Draft Tournaments?

"Join as Party" in Draft Tournaments?

I have a few friends and we are interested in the Draft tournaments but I am curious if there is a "Join as Party" option. This would ensure that we all get into the same tournament and can compete against one another. Has anyone heard anything about this yet?

This certainly has no way of being abused.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by Simokon View Post
    This certainly has no way of being abused.
    Yeah... probably not.
    KICKSTARTER Backer Dragon Lord Pro Collector

Go pick up a Slacker Backer for your friends and/or family.

Of course it has potential to be abused but I feel as if they would be alienating a portion of their audience who would enjoy this. This is something that is done at Hobby Shops, me and my friends could go and all join the same Draft. Why should there be a restriction here? That would take away the opportunity for us to ever compete competitively online.

I understand it could be abused, but do you see the other side of the coin?

No, the possibility of abuse would alienate a large portion of the audience. There is money on the line, so leaving such an obvious cheating possibility open is unacceptable. That said, it would be slightly more reasonable in the the casual draft mode, but I still dont see it happening.

Also as for why this is different than your card shop. If you went to your card shop draft and you and all your friends showed each other the cards in the packs and discussed who should take what, would the tournament organizer allow it? Cause with online that is what will happen with people sharing their information.

I understand where you are coming from and it makes sense. I just find it a bummer that one of my most anticipated game types will need to be played by myself instead of with my friends. I hope they set up some form of "casual" draft type where those of us who enjoy playing in groups can get together and do drafts.

honestly, I'm not sure whether to like or hate the idea. on the one hand, it can be abused, as mentioned.

On the other, having them in different drafts can be "abused" as well. lets say A and his 3 friends B, C, and D are all "pro" players. which is worse, them getting into 1 draft and splitting the prizes that they win, or them getting into 4 draft, winning them all(for more packs), and splitting the prizes amongst themselves to better each others collections?

All 4 of them in 1 draft has a smaller payout of them winning than if they split into separate drafts and they all win. sure chances are slim, but it's there.

Now, whichever way they go, it would be nice for you to grab a few friends and have a casual draft with no prizes on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by geoquav View Post
    I understand where you are coming from and it makes sense. I just find it a bummer that one of my most anticipated game types will need to be played by myself instead of with my friends. I hope they set up some form of "casual" draft type where those of us who enjoy playing in groups can get together and do drafts.
    You do not have to play by yourself, that is what Guild Tournaments are for. If you want prizes for your tournaments though, then it's Solo Queue. Here's hoping that Guild Tournaments can be "Faux" drafts as well where cards aren't kept but players can still play a draft tournament.

having casual draft is probably an easy to implement option and is exactly what the op is asking for... and there's still nothing preventing you from all joining at the same moment right after a draft fires and all slots are open.

For those saying there's potential for abuse, for the people looking to abuse something like this, there's no way to prevent it really, you can still do exactly what I described above. Drafts won't fire off instantaneously.

Also for those of you saying this has potential for abuse, have you ever actually tried this yourself on MTGO? Hypothetically if you are trying to abuse it, first you have to figure out where your cohorts are sitting relative to you, which is hard enough in it's own right. When you have 90 or less seconds to make a pick and are trying to collude picks with not one but 2-3 more players you're going to wind up making far more mistakes. Not to mention when you do finally have your picks done and decks made you're pretty likely to be paired against eachother in round one, at which point you just made a net loss.

The EV from playing like this is definitely more negative than it is playing with only your best interests in mind.
    Last edited by funktion; 05-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

Less fail, more funktion!

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by funktion View Post
    having casual draft is probably an easy to implement option and is exactly what the op is asking for... and there's still nothing preventing you from all joining at the same moment right after a draft fires and all slots are open.

For those saying there's potential for abuse, for the people looking to abuse something like this, there's no way to prevent it really, you can still do exactly what I described above. Drafts won't fire off instantaneously.
    Unless it's built like Random Dungeon Finder in World of Warcraft instead of a lobby.
    Hit "Join Draft", Wait in Queue until, "Your Draft is Ready" pops up, Click [Enter]
    You have no idea who you're joining with.
    KICKSTARTER Backer Dragon Lord Pro Collector

Go pick up a Slacker Backer for your friends and/or family.