Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnolls

Gnolls

Reading through the lore for the minor races, I noticed that the gnolls are led by a king and his sons. Hyenas are actually matriarchal, with the females both bigger and meaner than the males. Since there are already two all male races, the dwarves and the vennen, and most of the races seem to be led by a variety of kings and emperors, I think it might be cool to make the gnolls matrilineal. It would be a spin on it different from most fantasy games, which tend to ignore this aspect of the gnoll's real world inspiration, and I love the idea of running a deck based around a big, brutish, foul gnoll matriarch mercenary. Just a thought I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarsen View Post
    Hyenas are actually matriarchal, with the females both bigger and meaner than the males.
    Is that common knowledge and I am just an idiot that I didn't know that?

I watched a lot of discovery channel growing up, and I'd say its common knowledge amongst the people I know, but I wouldn't feel bad. Sexual dimorphism in favor of the female isn't that common. :P

Please, please make the gnolls a matriarchal society. That'd be awesome. (I say this as someone who knew that hyenas were matriarchal, though I didn't consider it while reading about the gnolls.)

Quote Originally Posted by Loregoyle View Post
    Is that common knowledge and I am just an idiot that I didn't know that?
    it's common knowledge if you like zoology or watch a lot of animal planet :P
    not so much if the only aproach on animals you have is slaying a dragon in some game .

depends very much on your point of view ... there are a lot of weird facts about animals that even would be zoologists (hope I am spelling this right ) don't know .
    "Kneel before me and repent!"

http://i.imgur.com/aeU4CXf.png

Quote Originally Posted by alpha5099 View Post
    Please, please make the gnolls a matriarchal society. That'd be awesome.
    Upvote. +1. Like.

Or whatever it takes here

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin_Coilleach View Post
    Upvote. +1. Like.

Or whatever it takes here
    Ditto.

Yeah actually the Vennen would also make more sense as a matriarchy, their Primal is female, and female arachnids tend to also be more aggressive then the males. And if they are half orc and orcs seem to be ruled by a council that doesn't care about gender, it makes more sense to either be a matriarchy or a ruling council... or a ruling council of only females if you want to mix the approach.

But having a country of male spider-people would be a nice change of pace. Especially since they're the closest we have to dark elves (... Dark Orcs?), who're often matriarchal.

On the other hand, I fully endorse the upcoming gnoll matriarchy. Not that I'd likely be able to tell the difference between a male and female gnoll. ^^'
    Lord of Odaibu, self-proclaimed Elvish Capital of Shin'hare aesthetics.

I was just pointing it out. Though making the Vennen matriarchal would make 3/4 underworld races matriarchal since the Shen'hare seem to also be more that way with the Concubunnies. And yeah I couldn't help but think orc driders???? when I first read about the Vennen.