Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mods/Addons/Third-party software

Devoted Emissary

Mods/Addons/Third-party software

(Note: this thread is not concerning Kickstarter add-ons)

Have we heard if Hex will support third-party programs that modify the base game client?

If not, I would strongly encourage CZE to consider them. Blizzard has essentially used the sea of mods as a free design lab for future features to incorporate into the game, while at the same time improving the game experience for their players, and attracting the interest of amateur programmers.

For those unfamiliar with addons, here are just a few of the better ones that I use in WoW:

Dominos: Lets me move elements of the UI around on the screen, placing them where I prefer.
    Auctionator: Streamlines many of the repetitious aspects of using the auction house. For example, it will remember a "shopping list" of things you regularly search for on the AH, and look them all up for you at once with just one button push.
    Deadly Boss Mods: Timers and audiovisual warnings for boss fights and pvp battles. Some players consider mods like this "cheating", and we could probably start a fresh thread to discuss how much easier it is to cheat in an online-only TCG, with or without programs.
    Clique: Allows me to bind multiple spells to every button on my mouse, that change depending on whether I'm in combat or not, targeting a friendly unit or not, pressing "shift" or not, etc. Saves a lot of reaching for buttons on the keyboard.
    Skada: Keeps a running tab of who the boss is angriest with (and thus most likely to attack) from among the members of my party with me in the dungeon. Afterwards, will rank us based on damage done, damage per second, healing, or a dozen other metrics, with the option to drill down for even more detailed information (like damage done by player by spell, and how often that spell was used). It would be interesting to see how something like this might work in an MMO TCG.

Discuss!
    Pro Player Kickstarter; CCG veteran of Magic, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek 2E, Vs. System, and World of Warcraft

All of those things are either likely to be implemented at launch in some form, or can be added by the devs later. No need for 3rd party support.

The devs want to listen to fans, so feel free to suggest, but 3rd party is abusable and a bad idea. It also can easily cheapen the experience.

With the exception of the auction house and the ui ones, I really don't see any of those being of much use in a TCG environment, or even being useful at all for that matter. In a more general view on third party addons as a concept, I am kind of torn. On the one hand, I have used some before, back when I played WoW. On the other hand, there are some that are questionable at best. I am not opposed to the use of third party software, but I feel that if the dev's want to allow it, it should be on a case-by-case basis, not an all-or-nothing approach.

I think the relevant AH information (price history / statistics, etc.) could be implemented easily enough on their side. It would help new players to not get scammed in the AH, which I think would help grow the community better as new players start joining.

Devoted Emissary
    So, my reason for including some of the addons I use in WoW is not to say "I sure hope Hex includes these!" but to say "In case you aren't familiar with what an addon is, it is this."

The neat thing about a vibrant addon community is that it will come up with amazing things that we didn't even know we wanted until they were made, things that you and I and everyone else on this forum, and even the (no-doubt very skilled) design team at CZE would never have come up with.

If you want to phrase it in a crass way: It is co-opting the creative talent of a huge host of volunteers to create free value for your brand.

If you want to make it sound nice: It is letting excited fans think up ways to make the game better.

More brains is better.
    Pro Player Kickstarter; CCG veteran of Magic, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek 2E, Vs. System, and World of Warcraft

Infernal Professor
    I just want a mobile app for my phone, to trade/sell cards on the go and manage my decks.

I have reservations when it comes to 3rd-party add-ons/modifications. If not carefully balanced, it ends up becoming one of those: "If you don't use X, then you'll be at a disadvantage compared to someone who does." scenarios.

Additionally, there's always the potential for a security risk to occur because 3rd-parties are developing the add-ons.

While I can see the potential greatness of allowing this, I'm also on the fence about whether it's a good thing or not.

Especially in a game like this, I'd rather not always have that feeling that someone didn't outplay me, they had help.

If it were restricted to PvE and only certain aspects of it, I could see it being okay... maybe. I'd rather it for anything involving AH, trading, account security be coded by CZE themselves.

Deciphered, thats why I ssuggested people suggest here on the forums so the devs can see the suggestions. As for WoW, the only addons I ever liked were Recount, to see if I was actually healing well, and Bloodhound (which was always buggy as hell, and was only sort of helpful, since you went flying around looking for nodes that weren't there 90% of the time.)

I never saw a WoW addon that had any real creativity - and I see less things being presented for a TCG that wont be intended to be abused. Pretty much, if it is needed ingame, the devs will add it, anything else is porbably something very unfair (and likely mandatory after a certain point).

So no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenor View Post
    I just want a mobile app for my phone, to trade/sell cards on the go and manage my decks.
    This. SO MUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolGrayAJ View Post
    This. SO MUCH.
    Agreed, but it would be better quality in-house. I won't use a 3rd party one, ever.