Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PVE Preview: The Kraken's Lair

Sensei of the Wounded Petal

Thumbs up PVE Preview: The Kraken's Lair

New article up with a PVE dungeon preview:

http://hextcg.com/the-krakens-lair/
    KICKSTARTER Backer Dragon Lord Pro Collector

Go pick up a Slacker Backer for your friends and/or family.

Just read it. This sounds pretty epic to me.

Remember pants? I miss pants. I did Bad Things to mine, and now I can't leave the house. =(
    --
    "mFphrrrbm hoAmn rggh, hnllmmgh rnbnrrl." --Demosthenes, "The Early Works"

Crazy awesome. Curious why the Shin'hare would go, but excited to find out.

Daymn, that squid looks epic. All of them.

Seriously, if anyone weren't hyped for PvE before, they definitely should be now.
    Lord of Odaibu, self-proclaimed Elvish Capital of Shin'hare aesthetics.

Imagine how amazing raids are going to be since this is just a dungeon!

Yes, I am now officialy excited for PvE!
    I might regret not getting the dungeon crawler tier.

Best points to me:
    1. Multiple paths / replayability based on your hero and decisions you make.
    2. If your troop dies, he's out of your deck for the rest of the dungeon! So its not just playing a bunch of matches over and over, its also a game of attrition.
    3. Great story telling.
    4. Playing dungeons gives flavor to your PvP cards.
    5. You might actually have to read flavor text (a first for TCGs).

Quote Originally Posted by Grissnap View Post
    Yes, I am now officialy excited for PvE!
    I might regret not getting the dungeon crawler tier.

Best points to me:
    1. Multiple paths / replayability based on your hero and decisions you make.
    2. If your troop dies, he's out of your deck for the rest of the dungeon! So its not just playing a bunch of matches over and over, its also a game of attrition.
    3. Great story telling.
    4. Playing dungeons gives flavor to your PvP cards.
    5. You might actually have to read flavor text (a first for TCGs).
    Noticed those as well and I wasn't too hyped about the PvE before but now I can see why there's the crazy mercs as well. You have to really consider your plays because if you lose 4 or 5 troops on the first encounter of a dungeon, you're really hamstrung. It's a great idea for keeping the PvE strategic. And the flavor text giving game hints was great.

From reading the article, it sounded like he could've completed the encounter still by killing the Mayor and having an easier time. This introduces the concepts of "Hard Modes" a la WoW. If anyone played during Ulduar, you could trigger certain encounters to become harder, but rewarded more in the end. I think it'd be great to integrate into this PvE environment as well

The whole losing troops permanently thing sounded like it was a unique mechanic of the fight on the ship against the kraken tentacles, not a dungeon-wide effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelaasa View Post
    The whole losing troops permanently thing sounded like it was a unique mechanic of the fight on the ship against the kraken tentacles, not a dungeon-wide effect.
    Exactly. Still a good example what we can expect in special mechanics for different dungeons.
    All in all I'm somewhat hyped about the PvE Content now - looking forward to clear those dungeons!