Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kraken's Lair

The Kraken's Lair

by Chris Woods

Hey all! There have been a significant number of questions about the PvE experience, so I thought Id take you through a dungeon run. I picked out The Kraken, because it shows off a lot of what dungeons are about, without getting into the crazier mechanics we start revealing later on.

http://hextcg.com/the-krakens-lair/

Ooo, very nice. But what about the loot? That's a huge part of the PvE experience we don't know yet. We know that in PvP the reward is boosters and platinum, it's clearly defined. For PvE though, we're kind of just guessing it's PvE cards without knowing if there's rare extras like possible boosters. It's nebulous.

The mechanics of the dungeon seem neat though, since it really is RPG choices in a TCG setting.
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

-Willy Wonka

After reading that, I immediately had some questions.

If the mayor is killed, but then put into play from the graveyard, does the plot continue as if he had survived?
    If the mayor is returned to the AI's hand and then replayed, did he survive?
    If the mayor is returned to the hand/deck and isn't in play when the match resolves, what happens?
    If you take control of the mayor during the match did you "free" him from the control of the coven?

When I first read the equipment for The Kraken, I thought there was a typo in the legendary ring. Figured that there needed to be a minus sign in front of that [1]. And then I realized how the ring was actually working, and I was amazed.

As I've said before, I am loving these PvE previews, and can't wait to see more of them. I like the wrinkle of this dungeon that the tentacles can void your guys for the rest of the run, but what does this mean for changing our decks between fights. Are we locked into the deck that we're using for the entire dungeon run? That seems unlikely. But then why would Chris be down to 59 cards after the tentacle got one of his guys; wouldn't he just sub in another troop? Can we normally make adjustments but the Kraken changes that?

And I agree with Madican, knowing more about the rewards and loot would be great.
    Team Squirrel Titans

I really like the Cut of your Jib, Chris Woods! I'm not sure if I know what that saying means but I think it's sailor talk which fits this whole dungeon theme. I hope you get a chance in a future update to elaborate a bit more on how the PvE experience can change based on your faction, race, or class. I'd love to see an example.

Quote Originally Posted by mauvebutterfly View Post
    After reading that, I immediately had some questions.

If the mayor is killed, but then put into play from the graveyard, does the plot continue as if he had survived?
    If the mayor is returned to the AI's hand and then replayed, did he survive?
    If the mayor is returned to the hand/deck and isn't in play when the match resolves, what happens?
    If you take control of the mayor during the match did you "free" him from the control of the coven?
    I don't think they want to give it all away. We need some mystery until we play through ourselves.

What does that symbol at the side of the Midnight Shepard mean? Where the "Unique" sign is for the Mayor?

The symbols on the far right beside the unique tag indicate if they belong specifically to the Ardent or Underworld faction. So the Mayor is part of the Ardent side and the Midnight Shepard is part of the Underworld faction.

And the Mayor isn't unique because he only appears in that single game, where there's only one of him in play.

Unless, of course, you mind control the Mayor and use Replicator's Gambit on him.
    Lord of Odaibu, self-proclaimed Elvish Capital of Shin'hare aesthetics.