Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handling of Future Promo/Exclusive Cards or Items

Infernal Professor

Handling of Future Promo/Exclusive Cards or Items

What is everyone's feeling on how you'd like CZE to handle future exclusive or promo cards?

These could be physical or digital codes given away for different reasons, such as:
    • Physical Codes
      • Convention swag (bag or booth)
      • Playing in or winning Convention Tourneys
      • Attending major tourneys in person, even if just as spectator
    • Digital Codes
      • Prize for winning/placing in scheduled big tourneys
      • Given for playing in invite tourneys (invite based on rank, participation, whatever)
      • Prize for winning/placing in invite tourneys (invite based on rank, participation, whatever)
      • Given for playing in preview tourneys for upcoming set (if they have these)
    Etc... you get the point.

But what to give out?
    • Extended Art Cards?
      • We already earn those ingame
    • Foil Cards?
      • We already earn those ingame
    • Exclusive Unique Cards?
      • Maybe a good idea if they were PvE only & able to be traded
    • PvE Mercenaries
      • Not a bad idea as Cory mentioned in Gamasutra
    • Alternate Art Cards?
      • My preference, as they could be "shown off" in combat against other players, plus they'd be able to be traded if you wanted to collect them
    • Vanity Digital Items?
      • I like this idea too... although the best of these should be reserved for winning/placing in ranked/exclusive tourneys and not just participation
    Vanity Digital Items: Sleeves, digital token for game board, digital playmat, alternate hero art (with same charge powers), unique "spellcasting" effects/colors, etc.

Endless opportunity for things since it's all digital.

Now I'm a bit of a "gotta catch 'em all" collector nutjob. And I won't get invited to most the tourneys and I generally can only make one Con a year... so whatever they implement I realize I won't be able to get half of it, but I still like the idea of it existing

I think its part of what makes TCGs fun. Thought I'd see what everyone else thought and maybe shed some light for CZE what their already crazy forum crowd is leaning towards

I'm for anything that can't give a perceived gameplay advantage. Alt arts and other vanity items seem to be the most obvious choices for those.
    The Mushwocky is always hungry.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Not being in the USA or even Europe severely limits your access to conventions or major tourney's as I doubt they'll be running anything big down here in Australia. But as long as everything given in the physical domain is tradeable and not going to give major in-game advantages then go for it, no point you gaiz suffering because we don't all live in the USA :P

Infernal Professor
    Div... a good majority of the tournaments are gonna be online too. Maybe the "worlds" and "regional finals" will be physical... but with an all online community they could do a "top monthly" tournament that invites based on rankings, or invites people who've logged a certain # of participation in league or official play... endless opportunity.

Are you going to PAX Australia this year?
    Pretty cool that they expanded there before expanding to Europe

As long as the items are either vanity items like new skins for existing champions/mercs, extended or alternate art cards; or that the items are PvE only for promotional cards/mercs. I don't like the idea of pvp cards being exclusive promo cards for conventions.

Hero of Adamanth
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinRaven View Post
    As long as the items are either vanity items like new skins for existing champions/mercs, extended or alternate art cards; or that the items are PvE only for promotional cards/mercs. I don't like the idea of pvp cards being exclusive promo cards for conventions.
    yea i agree any promos would have to be pve based or be AA since any pvp based promos would give those who win too much of an advantage
    Grand King + Collectors Tier + King x2! I must be crazy

TCGs have given out exclusive promos for a long, long time. Depending on the game, some of them were quite competitive. As long as enough are distributed that trading/buying them isn't prohibitively expensive, then I see no problem with it.

Hero of Adamanth
    any mtg promo (besides first few from books) was always an AA foil, could be wrong as of late since i havent played mtg in ages
    Grand King + Collectors Tier + King x2! I must be crazy

This is somewhat off topic, but did anyone else find it strange that one of the KS rewards wasn't "create your own mercenary?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybum View Post
    any mtg promo (besides first few from books) was always an AA foil, could be wrong as of late since i havent played mtg in ages
    I'm not really an MTG player. I've played a little, but never seriously, so I have no idea how their promos work. However, pretty much every other TCG I've played has had promos that could only be gotten through events/redemptions (and rarely, merchandise) and it's never been an issue because it either wasn't good enough or it wasn't prohibitively expensive to obtain a set if needed.

I played the DBZ TCG for a while and got a play set of Pikkon's Leg Catch which was one of the random cards bundled with an action figure. That's easily the worst case short of giving out powerful cards to a handful of winners in exclusive tournaments, and it wasn't that bad.