Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spending money in Hex - Strategy

Yeah but I think his point is if you go 8-4 you have the best chance of a successful rare draft, because the other people will be trying to get top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfang View Post
    True...but I think newer players would probably be better off trying to win 4-3-2-2 than 8-4.

What's swiss draft's payout? 3-2-1-1-1-1?
    Swiss is you play all 3 rounds and for every round won you get a pack. Probably the best format for newbies to start with, since they get to play the most.
    Your daily dose of HEX awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by Talreth View Post
    Yeah but I think his point is if you go 8-4 you have the best chance of a successful rare draft, because the other people will be trying to get top 2.
    8-4 does not exist currently in HEX
    Quote Originally Posted by wallofomens View Post
    Swiss is you play all 3 rounds and for every round won you get a pack. Probably the best format for newbies to start with, since they get to play the most.
    Swiss is typically (on MTG:O) - 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 (basically what you said)
    Last edited by nicosharp; 04-15-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    10 rare drafts in a day would only take me 2hours. maybe less. depending on how fast they pass.

Of course all of us uber rich kickstarter backers may not have much use for this knowledge or the reserve to hold so many packs to eventually draft them all.
    That seems awfully speedy and certainly faster than I could do it. Even then you're talking about taking 2 hours to open 30 packs. I only have the 1 PP and the thought of it taking 10+ hours to open my packs makes me want to cry. Then again I mostly care about constructed so maybe I'm just a stick in the mud.

The most bang for your buck-
    TL - DR version:
    • Sign up for VIP, and try to never buy packs for more than 1 dollar. (use AH to get packs)
    • Don't open packs directly - open them in drafts or other modes where there is potential to win more.
    • Sell what you don't need to pay for draft/tournament entries - where the value of a pack goes a lot further.

Expanded version:
    Quick background:
    Started playing TCG's 17 years ago, when MTG was just beginning to grow in popularity. Quit TCG's for several years after high school, and came back TCG's when the WOWTCG was in the March of the Legion block. Played WOWTCG for a few years until the wife got tired of card piles and missing me on nights and weekends. After about 2 years out of the scene, I started playing MTG:O pretty hardcore for the last 8 months. Here is what I learned about the digital card arena, that should directly apply to this game - mixed in from my knowledge of how the reward structure is setup here.

Retail play rational and maximizing your purchases - Being a smart consumer
    In a digital TCG that allows trading you need to factor in several things to determine the value of a card:
    • Packs at their lowest purchasable price ($1 through VIP)
    • Packs at their perceived market value (AH price, this price will normally be higher than $1 and lower than $2)
    • Packs at their retail price ($2)
    • Rarity of the card
    • Playability of the card
    • Saturation of available cards in the current market
    • The trade value of Platinum (Hex in-game currency)

Step #1 - 'Acquiring' product
    The first thing you should know, specially if you are new to TCG's is:
    The worst way to spend your money is through buying packs directly from the retailer.

From the above list we already know, in Hex the base value of a single pack should be $1.
    This is because we can sign up for their VIP program and get a pack for a single dollar, or the equivalent in Platinum (in-game currency)
    With that said, the likelihood of packs being worth less than $1 is slim, but will depend entirely on the market saturation (how much is on the auction house), and how much value certain cards are trading for in Platinum.

Anytime you spend more than $1 to acquire a pack you are spending more than you need to.
    Anytime you get a pack for less than a dollar, you are making an educated purchase based on the packs perceived value.

Step #2 - Funding a habit
    The second thing to know is that:
    Getting what you want in a TCG can be expensive, if you do not plan ahead.

Once you have "acquired" your pack(s), the natural thing to do would be "crack dem bad boys open!".
    NO! NO! NO! slap yourself and call me stupid. Don't doooo eeeet!

"But Nico.. I want to see my cards and smell the fresh cardboard" <-- random nub
    /facepalm

In the digital TCG age, this is the worst thing you can do with the investment you make when 'acquiring' a pack(s).
    The best thing you can do is join a draft.
    (more information on what a draft is and how it is played is in articles on the hextcg mainpage and on the forums here)

"But Nico.. I don't have the time, I suck and I want to keep what I opened" <-- random nub #2

Here is a little secret. If you don't want to play competitive, don't, but still invest your energy in opening your packs this way.. Let me explain.
    There are 3 draft modes typically in digital TCG's:
    • Swiss casual Draft - lowest prize potential
    • Single Elimination Draft medium odds - medium prize potential
    • Single Elimination Draft high odds - high prize potential

If you don't have the time, and are not competitive, do not hestitate, and instantly join a single elimination draft high odds. This does not mean you pay more for the draft, it just means if you don't win, you don't win. This draft mode will have the highest potential of pro players in it. What does that mean?.... RARE DRAFT BABY!

You will get so much more joining one of these queues and rare drafting, then you would opening 4 packs by yourself, so you pay a dollar more and you DOOOO EEET!

If you want to be semi-competitive you can do the other draft formats, or just play sealed. The fact is, you are utilizing your packs in a way that could earn you more packs. Which brings me to step 3.

Step #3 - Turn your packs into Primal Packs (often known as the ???? step)
    Any pack you get through the VIP program has the potential to be a primal pack, and any pack you get on the AH has the potential to turn into a primal pack.

"But Nico... I bought the pack on the AH and it's still a normal pack, you sooo stew pit!" <-- random nub #3

Playing with the cheap packs you acquire, in PVP, whether it be draft or sealed / etc. you have the potential to win additional packs. Those packs you win have the potential to be primal packs.

It is pretty obvious that dollar for dollar value right now, Primal packs will probably be worth more than any legendary card in the game. It's up to you to trade them to make more, but anything you can do to turn a pack into a primal pack, vastly increases the packs value, and your investment.

Step #4 - Profit
    Basically, if you follow everything I mentioned above, you will enjoy your time cracking packs a lot more, and will save a ton of money doing it. Anything you win or have in excess can be traded, and your trading should allow you to avoid future entry fee costs in drafts/tournaments. TCG's can be very daunting for people financially, until they lose track of how much they spent and have to quit the game because of their habitual spending. Sllow spending to be fun, and efficient.. so you get that value you want for an affordable price. Good luck out there, and don't shard yourself!
    Some failed assumptions...

AH packs cannot be primal

The supply at $1 dollar is not perfectly elastic but limited to 4 per person per month and I imagine they plan on people getting quite a bit more than that.

Otherwise good introductory information for people unaware of the economics of online TCG

Great post. Playing a TCG is completely self-sustainable, just have to quell your inner child ha.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmod (a.k.a. random nub #3) View Post

AH packs cannot be primal
    "But Nico... I bought the pack on the AH and it's still a normal pack, you sooo stew pit!" <-- random nub #3

Playing with the cheap packs you acquire, in PVP, whether it be draft or sealed / etc. you have the potential to win additional packs. Those packs you win have the potential to be primal packs.
    lol
    Last edited by Tyrfang; 05-31-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmod View Post

AH packs cannot be primal.....blablabla
    Next time instead of quoting the entire thing along with your post, just read it instead. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
    That seems awfully speedy and certainly faster than I could do it. Even then you're talking about taking 2 hours to open 30 packs. I only have the 1 PP and the thought of it taking 10+ hours to open my packs makes me want to cry. Then again I mostly care about constructed so maybe I'm just a stick in the mud.
    Hi Joolz,
    If you rare draft and drop, the only time you put into the draft is picking the cards. That process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 20. Averaging the times, and dropping would be close to 2hours for 10 rare draft drops. I do not condone rare draft dropping, but I don't think anyone really loses from you doing it. Playing out 10 draft tournaments is closer to 30hours..... and yes, that can be painful.

Hi Joolz,
    If you rare draft and drop, the only time you put into the draft is picking the cards. That process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 20. Averaging the times, and dropping would be close to 2hours for 10 rare draft drops. I do not condone rare draft dropping, but I don't think anyone really loses from you doing it. Playing out 10 draft tournaments is closer to 30hours..... and yes, that can be painful.
    It's only 3 hours a draft if you win every game (except the last one, anyway.)