Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Art & Gameplay

Board Art & Gameplay

I've been following Hex pretty closely since the Kickstarter was announced (pledged GK&Collector) and one thing I haven't seen anybody talking about is the animated board actions during turn changes. Now this may have been discussed elsewhere in which case please direct me accordingly but otherwise please indulge me.

Edit: It's phases. I'm stupid, lets just talk about the UI now.

You'll notice that in the middle of the table there is large symbol surrounded by 8 smaller symbols. Each turn one of these symbols "lights" up and this lit symbol becomes the larger symbol in the centre of the table. Currently I've seen nothing to suggest that this is anything more than a cosmetic effect but I can't shake the feeling that it is/will be more to it than that.

My guess would be that this is going to represent some form of Zodiac/Cycle system and that certain cards in the future will have an affinity/weakness in alignment to one or more of these symbol types. This could certainly add an interesting twist to the game due to play order considerations etc. Or of course it could just be that it looks cool and has nothing to do with future gameplay whatsoever. Anybody else have any thoughts on this or can point me to more information I may have missed?
    Last edited by elstob; 06-05-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Gigantisaur
    It represents the turn phase you're in.

~

Devoted Emissary
    I think that these are only representing the different phases of the turn, and they light up when you actually are in that phase.

About that, I don't like how cards cover those icons, I would make them smaller maybe but keep them always visible

EDIT: beaten, and by a French!
    http://i58.tinypic.com/2ry5zfc.png
    Franz von G of Al Andalus - Pro Player | Collector | Knight
    Italian Hex Community

Urgh yeah going back and looking that's completely obvious isn't it? Thanks!

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by FranzVonG View Post
    About that, I don't like how cards cover those icons, I would make them smaller maybe but keep them always visible
    I for one don't really like the UI, it's too flashy & animated. I'd like a very clear 2D one to ease my eyes.
    I'm pretty sure I'll have it later down the road when the animations and lights will bore everyone else

We also unlocked different game boards art with stretch goal, so might not be bored so quickly

Quote Originally Posted by FranzVonG View Post
    EDIT: beaten, and by a French!
    Rare enough to be noticed, huh?

~

I for one don't really like the UI, it's too flashy & animated. I'd like a very clear 2D one to ease my eyes.
    As you said, we unlocked different game boards. Some of them will be very flashy and animated, but I'm positive they will provide a game board that is more simplistic so people have that option.

I was just about to make a thread about the game board art giving a few suggestions to the guys at Cryptozoic. Now I know what we have seen are early builds and they have said that they will be working on the art, but I just wanted to throw these out there in case they haven't noticed:

I will use the following image for my suggestions, each color corresponds to a number below.

1. Purple: This is one of the biggest peeves I have with the game board right now. Where the troops are placed on the battlefield, they cover up the lower and upper halves of the "turn dial/tracker" so it is very hard to see which turn is active.
    Suggestion: Instead of having the turn tracker in a circular pattern, make the icons line up horizontally at the middle of the game board. (Where the purple rectangle is located.) This will give players the ability to see every phase icon during the turn and will especially help to eliminate confusion because most of us are trained to read from left to right, so if the turn phases were lined up from left to right, we could easily keep track of which phase of the turn we are on and what is coming next.

2. Red and Green: The flames that shoot up at the middle of the board during the attack phase is a wonderful animation, but it stretches out too far over the game board. It especially interferes with the player timers on the left. (Red Circle)
    Suggestion: This is probably mostly personal preference, but I think it would look much cleaner if the flames only shot up along the diameter of the middle circle, the part of the board that contains the troops. (Along the green line.)

3. Pink-ish: This was another thing I noticed during yesterday's livestream. The Shin'hare champion art eclipses the threshold/resource gems on the game board (Pink circle). This is a minor gripe, but something I would like to see fixed.

4. Yellow: (I know this is rough on the eyes, but I've tried like 5 different yellows. Sorry!) This is absolutely based on personal preference, but I am used to seeing my opponents cards facing away from me. It feels weird when I look at the game board and the opponents cards face towards me. I would prefer to have them rotated around and if I don't know what they do, I can click on them for a preview. The text is too small to read card effects from the game board anyway.
    Suggestion: Give players the option (in system settings, or possibly a toggle icon on the game board) to rotate their opponents card towards or away from themselves.

If you took the time to read this huge wall of text, thanks!

P.S. Ignore the attached thumbnails...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pwn1nP3nquin; 06-05-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Some colors were too bright, spelling errors.

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Good analysis Pwn1nP3nquin!

Well, they did state that their UI team has just recently been settled into their office. I expect massive UI improvements over the next few weeks.

They've also started consulting Pro TCG players apparently.

That's good to hear Kami, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the UI.

I like the idea with the icons in the middle, makes a lot of sense in fact :P Also like the flames idea as well, but to expand on that; maybe have the icons explode into the flames during the combat portion, and then race around the inner circle. Would look neat and eliminate overlap of the symbols and flames.
    Proud Day 1 Alpha Player Man This Game Come A Long Way!